FT Driver got a DUI last night

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Rod

Not hard drinks, beer. the driver consumes 3 cans of beer on the way home on an empty stomach.

One small correction to the post above. Yes it is illegal to drink and drive. Ever heard of the open container law? So how do you drink and drive without an open container?

And it does not have to be yours. Anyone drinking in your vehicle will send trouble your way.

d

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod

One small correction to the post above. Yes it is illegal to drink and drive. Ever heard of the open container law? So how do you drink and drive without an open container?

And it does not have to be yours. Anyone drinking in your vehicle will send trouble your way.

d
Up until a couple of years ago I believe it was legal in Texas for a passenger in a vehical to have an open container. I'm not sure about the driver if he (or she) wasn't over the limit. But then again that is Texas- where you can still drive around with an uncased rifle hanging in the window of your pickup. In Wisc. it is legal to sell alcohol to a minor (18-20 years old) in a resturant if they are with their gardian. At least it was a
few years ago when my daughter went to the UW in Madison.:happy-very:

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe it was a very poor decision to drink and then drive, Especially if your job depends on the license. I have known people who worked for other driving companies and they stayed on. Some made them go to special programs to be able to stay on board. He should seek legal council ASAP, be honest and take the punishment that comes with the decision.

rod

Retired 22 years
Usually a DUI is pretty much cut and dried. Hiring one of them crooked lawyers will only end up in you being broker. Thrown yourself on the mercy (ha ha) of the courts and take your punishment. :peaceful:

upsrwife

Why does everyone have to be a smart alec on here? you know exactly what I meant by what I said.

Yes it is illegal to drink and drive. Ever heard of the open container law?

let me refrase it so that you can understand. It isn't illegal to drink and THEN drive, just to drink to much and THEN drive.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Wife

Not trying to be a smart alec, just wanting to clarify your post. You stated
it's not against the law to drink and drive. It's against the law to drink TOO MUCH and drive.
I added the bold.

So you stated it was not against the law to drink and drive. That implies that you are doing both at the same time. It was my post that you quoted
Yes it is illegal to drink and drive. Ever heard of the open container law?

Not trying to nit pick, but it is against the law to go driving down the road drinking alcohol of any kind. Does not matter what your BAC is when you get pulled over. Open container, serious trouble.

As for the too much, I agree, that is where most people have problems. The "know when you've had too much" is a more of a joke. When you begin to have too much, having too much is the last thing on your mind.

Just some observations.

d

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
dannyboy said:
Not trying to nit pick, but it is against the law to go driving down the road drinking alcohol of any kind. Does not matter what your BAC is when you get pulled over. Open container, serious trouble.

Actually, it depends on what state you're in:

click

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Why does everyone have to be a smart alec on here? you know exactly what I meant by what I said.

let me refrase it so that you can understand. It isn't illegal to drink and THEN drive, just to drink to much and THEN drive.
I appreciate your input, upsrwife. What kind of work do you do?

B

brown observer

U-Wife

"I have put over 4,000 drunks in jail"

Can we ask how you did this??

upsmanckp

Today we met with the center manager. The driver was given the phone number of the UPS district nurse. She gave him the number of a person to enroll him in a program S.A.P. He starts Monday. He was offered and accepted split shift work inside until his license issue is resolved.
Overall I think he was treated very fairly by the employer. I am told they give you one and only one chance.
Great advice given here helped me guide him. I thank you all.

brownIEman

Sounds like a good resolution, hopefully this will allow him to make some positive changes and he will learn the lesson well.

As for the company giving one and only one chance, that is actually going to vary a bit. I have known of drivers who have been through this experience more than once in their careers and continue to drive. But you know what, lets not tell your friend that - better to assume you are under the one and only one rule and act accordingly.

rod

Retired 22 years
Actually, it depends on what state you're in:

click
So there are a few states that still allow an open container. Texas not one of them though. One final comment from me on this particular post- although I enjoy a beer as much as the next guy I am totally against combining ANY alcohol and motorcycling. It just takes too much concentration to manuver 2 wheels around in traffic. I hope this UPSer that got his DUI on a motorcycle realizes just how lucky he is that the only thing he got out of this incident is a Dewy. Peace:peaceful:

over9five

Staff member
Ive been a DUI investigator for the past 9 years. Thanks for the compliment.

Impressive. You've put more than 1 person in jail for EVERY day for nine years (this includes Saturdays, Sundays, holidays).

How did you actually have the time to investigate?

upsrwife

Why is it that everything is questioned on here like your a sneak or a liar?

When someone is getting arrested for dui, I do field sobriety tasks, breath tests, urine, gather indicators and other information. Luckily I have only been in a few fights, but arguments and getting yelled at is daily. I work 4 nights per week and I have done as many as 17 investigations in one night. but usually it's around 5 a night. No, i'm not lying, decieving or faking. this is what I have been doing since late 1997. I work nights of course and go to court about 4 times per week. I'm sure this will be nit picked to death, but i'm proud of what I do.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
When someone is getting arrested for dui, I do field sobriety tasks, breath tests, urine, gather indicators and other information. Luckily I have only been in a few fights, but arguments and getting yelled at is daily. I work 4 nights per week and I have done as many as 17 investigations in one night. but usually it's around 5 a night. No, i'm not lying, decieving or faking. this is what I have been doing since late 1997. I work nights of course and go to court about 4 times per week. I'm sure this will be nit picked to death, but i'm proud of what I do.

upsrwife, You need a big thank you for trying to keep the highways & byways safer for all. I remember years ago hating Friday nights & Saturday mornings running feeders from the hubs to the centers on 2 lane roads when the drunks didn't stay on their side!

brownIEman

Why is it that everything is questioned on here like your a sneak or a liar?

To answer your question, unfortunately it is just wayyy to easy to be a sneak and a liar online, so it tends to become second nature to be critical and not accept anything told at face value. So when someone throws out a number like 4000 dui investigations in 9 years, it looks suspicious. Until the added information comes in as to what an investigation entails and that it is possible to do as many as 17 in one day. This is the trick when speaking in forums. If someone is speaking about personal experience or other information that cannot be backed up by independent online sources, you have to assign credibility based on weather or not points made within a post of over several posts seem to add up. That is, they do not contradict themselves or common since.

And as to your earlier question about why everyone here has to be a smart-alec, I can only say that's because it is better than being a dumb-alec :happy-very:

Anywho, I know it was a rhetorical question, but I am bored so...

And ditto to those who have sent you thanks for the good work you do. I am sure it must be a thankless job most of the time, so from folks who do appreciate your effort to keep dangerous fools off the roads we all share, Thanks!!