FT Package finally!!!!

satellitedriver

Well I made my 30 days and signed off on my book tonight after I got back to the center thanks for all the help!!!!
Great news, and congratulations!!!!
Good way to start a new year.
May your years at UPS be prosperous.
My only advice is that you do everything possible to come home safe and sound each day.

BrownArmy

Well I made my 30 days and signed off on my book tonight after I got back to the center thanks for all the help!!!!

Congratulations Kylew...

Like Sat said, the most important stop is the last stop, which is home!

Welcome to the brown army...

buttere

Congrats Kylew! Some advice I have is to turn on your hazard lights while pulling up to the stop, not after you stop. Also honk your horn a couple times while rolling up to your next stop, then while walking to the delivery point yell "UPS"! This gets the attention of your customer as well as any dogs that may be in the area. I don't do anything with the infonotice until after I'm at the door and have knocked and rang the doorbell. What else are you going to do while waiting a second to see if anyone is home? If there is no answer by the time I fill out the infonotice, I knock and ring the doorbell again, then fill out the service cross on the package. If by this time there is no answer, I am on my way back to the truck. The walk back to the truck is a good time to glance at EDD if needed to plan your next stops. I always try to keep moving packages forward on the shelves to minimize the time and distance I'm walking in the back of the truck. Riding in an elevator is the perfect time to sheet packages or scan ahead in your EDD to make a gameplan for your upcoming stops. I organize my entire truck right before it gets dark, so that I don't have any trouble finding packages. If I have ground packages for an address that has an air stop, and I have time and am able to get to the packages easily, I deliver them at the same time. No sense in revisiting the same place later. Maglights work good at night, since the beam of light can be focused and pointed at house numbers. A quick way to verify that you are at a correct address that you are unsure of is to check inside the mailbox. Usually the residence name will be printed inside or there will be mail with their address on it. These are some methods I utilize to get my job done in an efficient manner. Most important thing though is to protect yourself and your truck, and do not break UPS's rules...work as though there is a manager by your side at all times...management and/or the public is always watching you whether you see them or not. Good luck in the future!

buttere

I found this a post that I replied with some time ago to someone else who had a similar question. Some of it is redundant, but there are a couple other tips here for you.
"in general just having the ability to plan ahead makes the biggest difference. Being flexible in your route to adjust for unusually large stops or traffic etc. Deliver ground with air if possible including the nearby area. Try to never back track for any reason. Hide the package on the porch before you ring the doorbell to avoid customer contact. Don't waste alot of time looking for hidden packages if you will be in that area again later during p/u's. EDD is great, but never perfect..surely there's a few shortcuts for each route. In our area entire areas are traced poorly. Break EDD wherever you can save time unless it will be a problem with where the packages are loaded in your truck. When you have to take more than a step or two in your truck to grap the next package, slide a group of packages towards the front of the shelf. Never waste time using the diad if you'll get a chance to do it while walking back the the truck etc. When riding elevators I scan the packages I'm about to deliver. I find the COD's first when I'm at a bulk stop, so they can get the money while I unload all their stuff. Use the bathroom at places you're delivering to. Multi-tasking can save alot of time. Before driving to a stop that is out in the boonies, I find the package before going there, so I know it's not a wasted trip. Be nice to everyone at business even if you don't like them. Having your customers on your side can save you lots of time. Maybe last but not least, set goals for yourself. I always try to have certain areas done by a certain time, if I don't pace myself that way, I just get lazy.

Good luck.

You do understand that you are most likely going to be laid off right after the first of the year due drop in volume you will be allowed to go work back inside however depending on where you are located you might only be guaranteed one 4 hour shift because you haven't made progression yet. They will call you back when volume picks up or summer vacations start going full.

I would make sure you read your local rider so you know what rights you have. You won't gain senority unless you work after DEC 31. If they lay you off before that they don't have to call you back to be a driver. If they do call you back before Mar 1 then you gain senority back to the day your first started to drive. If they call you back after Mar 1 you have to do your 30 days over again.

Make sure you arrive atleast 20 min early each day so your not rushing around. Everyone will tell you to take your lunch and breaks however you need to make your numbers or you will not make your 30 days. If you have a question about the route your doing ask some other drivers that have done it they can give you advise that will save you alot of time.

Use your map just don't go be the EDD it might be all messed up and you don't want to keep driving down the same street 5 or 6 times a day having to go back and get a stop that was out of order.

HAHAHAA you ARE SO RIGHT!!!! THATS UPS FOR YOU

Kylew

Helen I had never driven before I reported to my center 11 years p/t inside the building.All the ideas and info have been a tremendous help during my training.I always have my flashers on not to mention im a horn junkie....lol...everyone be safe today!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helen I had never driven before I reported to my center 11 years p/t inside the building.All the ideas and info has been a tremendous help during my training.I always have my flashers on not to mention im a horn junkie....lol...everyone be safe today!

Flashers are only meant to be used to alert others to the possiblity of an unsafe situation, such as not being able to pull the PC entirely off of the road or double-parking. Using them at every stop defeats the purpose. The same goes for the horn.

L

Luis Milan

What part of the country r u in? That needs so much help. I want to know so I can move there. Too many lay offs in main st.(Los Angeles)

Kylew

I am in Indiana....yes the wait was 11 years....Upstate Flashers and horn everytime I stop and left turn signal horn when pulling away from curb or in parking lots when I see people or movement in a vehicle.

buttere

Flashers are only meant to be used to alert others to the possiblity of an unsafe situation, such as not being able to pull the PC entirely off of the road or double-parking. Using them at every stop defeats the purpose. The same goes for the horn.

I disagree. Using your horn and hazards at every stop is the best way to make sure everyone in the area is aware of you and your package car. This will keep you and your package car safe as well as occassionally getting a customer to their front door before you do. It also alerts a vehicle that is following you that you are about to pull to the side of the road, so they don't rear end you. Besides, if you do this while rolling up to the stop, there is no time wasted at all.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

4 ways on every stop here. I have seen drivers in other cities without them on and wondered why. Boss wants me to use my horn in every parking lot I drive through. I guess my job is to annoy the general public.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I blow the horn at every residential stop per the methods but use it with discretion in my commercial areas. I also use it to alert other drivers who either may not see me or appear to be distracted. I only use the flashers if I am unable to get all the way off the road or am double-parked. Over use of the horn and flashers tend to diminish their purpose.