Full Time Sup Questions

BigBrown609

My center manager has recently taken me aside and asked if I had any interest in becoming a full time supervisor. It's crossed my mind but with a wife and two kids idk if it would be the right choice (I'm currently a FT driver). I haven't been able to find out definitive answers before doing the MAPP process. What's the starting pay, how far can they transfer me, what are the raises like, and are the hours generally better than those of a driver?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ask your on-car if you could meet him/her for breakfast before work---he/she would be able to answer any questions that you may have.

Make sure he/she pays for breakfast. :)

Resident know-it-all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You most certainly do not want to be a full time sup.

You may work a little more as a driver but you'll make more also. Plus I don't know one management person that doesn't regret it.

Brownslave688

Depends on the relationship.

My former on-car and I used to have candid conversations all the time.

Resident know-it-all.
Yes I have one ft sup I know would answer me honestly but that's about it.

I Once had a center manager say "now don't laugh at me but have you every considered management?"

I laughed.

beentheredonethat

My center manager has recently taken me aside and asked if I had any interest in becoming a full time supervisor. It's crossed my mind but with a wife and two kids idk if it would be the right choice (I'm currently a FT driver). I haven't been able to find out definitive answers before doing the MAPP process. What's the starting pay, how far can they transfer me, what are the raises like, and are the hours generally better than those of a driver?

The choice is up to you. There are pros and cons with each choice. Staying a driver, you know that you are protected by a union and getting fired is much less likely assuming you don't have a cardinal infraction. However, your pay is capped at the rate the union negotiates, you have an option (if you wish) to eventually go into feeders. It is safe and a well paying job.

Going into mgmt, is less safe (can be fired much more easily, no protection from a union). However, on the up side there is more upside potential to get promoted from supervisor to manager to division mgr and higher. The question is do you want safety and well paying, or less safety and potential for higher pay with more responsibilities?

Brownslave688

Oh I forgot to add if you have a history or knee or back problems in your family and don't feel you can hack it as driver management would be a good route for you.

Every sup I have that was once a full timer driver went into management because they knew physically their bodies would never hold up.

Do NOT! sell your soul, to the devil!...DO NOT FRIGGIN DO IT!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
To the OP...if you are actually considering this....I'm going to guess 2 things. One, you were an
off the street hire. And also...you haven't been a FT driver all that long. I could be wrong ;)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I would sooner kill myself, first!....Join the Darkside...Luke....umm umm..no thanks
images-10.jpeg