Gas Prices

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Seems like you and most other Americans are the ones who don't understand how limited the powers of the president were meant to be.... or maybe I've just given up. I'll admit it I'm pretty close. Both parties are a joke, and my third party votes seem to be nothing more than an exercise in futility.

You should just give up. Nobody is going to listen to your wisdom.

You don't even have people that you can vote for since both parties are a joke and 3rd party candidates rarely win.

Nobody would blame you if you just went away.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You should just give up. Nobody is going to listen to your wisdom.

You don't even have people that you can vote for since both parties are a joke and 3rd party candidates rarely win.

Nobody would blame you if you just went away.
The president should do this and the president should have done that. It must be nice being able to ignore reality and blame everything on one person. Really simplifies things doesn't it... I've always wondered, is ignorance really bliss? You seem like you have a lot of insight on the matter.

realbrown1

The president should do this and the president should have done that. It must be nice being able to ignore reality and blame everything on one person. Really simplifies things doesn't it... I've always wondered, is ignorance really bliss? You seem like you have a lot of insight on the matter.

You should just give up. You are not getting anywhere on here.

Your arguments are lame. You defend people who shouldn't be defended.

You should realize this by now in your life, IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is that how you solve your problems? Figures.

I rarely drink.

Obviously you must drink a lot.

That would answer a lot of my questions about what you are posting about.
You're a trip man.... always good for a laugh. Thanks for that. It's what keeps bringing me back here. You're a little depressing, but funny none the less.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
BTW: If you do bother to search and read, you'll also find info saying that as a result of actions now, prices will drop in the summer months.

So who will get the credit (or blame) for that?
You are asking people to think critically, research history and world events, challenge their assumptions and overcome their personal biases as well as their sense of entitlement towards cheap gasoline.

Its a lot easier to just draw a cartoon that blames it all on Obama.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Or, you can just pull up to your local pumps and see what is your reality . You can question it or not. I chose to pump it and drive on. I won't live long enough to have any logical answers.

wkmac

You are asking people to think critically, research history and world events, challenge their assumptions and overcome their personal biases as well as their sense of entitlement towards cheap gasoline.

Its a lot easier to just draw a cartoon that blames it all on Obama.

Yep and going back using that prescription, if you take the meme above of the gas prices at the end of Bush's Presidency, during the latter year of Clinton, I was paying under a $1 per gallon for gas, often in the upper $.80's. From there to the end of Bush, gas prices doubled using the above meme as evidence. Take the prices in the meme again, compared them to today, I filled up last night paying $3.59 per gallon for example and yet again those prices have doubled.

I see a tend that regardless of who is President or who controls Congress, seems to hold sway. From my perspective, "IF" one must hold a single person responsible, the more fitting person would be the Federal Reserve Chairman. Even then, 3 different people have held the position so we are back to policy and economics itself rather than the actions of a single person or entity. When it comes to the price of gas just as any commodity, there is a multiplicity of causes and effects when it comes to price.

TOS was correct in pointing out for example the effect of state taxes, in his case California, as to why Moreluck is paying so much for gas. She made a choice to live in a certain locale and sometimes those choices have a price. Her solution through collective action would be to force the rest of us to subsidize her continuing in her folly.

I'm no fan of Obama or Bush but I don't buy the PR spin they as President are the most powerful men on the planet. They are little more than sock puppets for the institutions that are behind them, many of them with competing or contradictory interests. Another reason any politician will say one thing during the campaign and yet rarely if ever follow through once in office.

Our President is little more than a mysterious image encased by fire and smoke to which we are to be both frightened and enraptured never daring to look behind the curtain to see the truth. I only wish it was so simple as to blame or credit them as then the solution would be simple.

Rainman

Its all good.
You are so desperate to blame obama, you continue to leave out the taxes in our state. We CANT all pay the same in the country because of taxes.

Your republican Arnold Swarzenegger signed into law, an act that taxes OIL in our state and that law states that a specific amount of money has to be raised through taxes and despite the decline in oil consumption in our state, the taxes continue to GO UP to cover that specific amount.

If you want to complain about prices in california, then blame that.

Right now, the price at the pump has NOTHING to do with consumption or supply. The traders are trading higher because of the conflict in UKRAINE. Of course, we know this has nothing to do with us, yet, because we allow oil to be traded as a commodity they can raise or lower the price for whatever stupid reason they want to.

As for BUSH, lets be serious. The traders under BUSH took oil to 150 dollars a barrel and held it there for YEARS having the price of oil near 5 bucks CRUSHING the us economy. 5 months before the 2008 election, the traders attempted to influence the election and help the GOP by reducing the cost of a barrel of oil to 33 bucks. Every year after that, they have raised it back to 100-ish as their new standard.

OPEC has already stated that its the US GREEDY stock market that is forcing the price of oil higher, and they would be completely satisfied with oil at 70 dollars a barrel.

OUR greedy wall street is the cause of the rise in oil and until we do something about it, we will always be at the mercy of the oil companies in this country.

TOS.
The prices could drop more if Obama would allow domestic oil drilling instead of banning it in most areas as he has. He shares part of the blame too. If you are going to blame one, then blame all who have their hand in it.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

wkmac

The prices could drop more if Obama would allow domestic oil drilling instead of banning it in most areas as he has. He shares part of the blame too. If you are going to blame one, then blame all who have their hand in it.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

I never realized till now that hydraulic fracking doesn't count as drilling. So much for that gold rush of energy production capacity.

realbrown1

Here is the reality of gas prices under the last 3 presidents.

8 years of Bush - Gas prices up 25%
8 years of Clinton - Gas prices up 38%
4 1/2 years of Obama - Gas prices up 84.7%

Any questions?

realbrown1

FREE MARKETS at work... enough that the prez has ANY influence on price ...
You really don't think that the president has any power in this.

The U.S. has more oil reserves that just about 90% of countries out there.

We don't drill in protected areas of Alaska. That takes away 28% of our reserves right there.

The make it hard for oil companies to FRACK for oil.

We don't approve pipelines that would make getting the oil to market cheap and easy.

One president can change these things.

One president can make a huge difference.

soberups

Instead of bitching about gas prices, maybe people should be asking why it is that we here in the USA cant buy cars like the VW Lupo, widely available in Europe, that can get 80MPG on a gallon of renewable, domestically produced biodiesel. We should be asking why we cant buy cars that run on natural gas or propane or bioethanol. We should be asking why it is that EPA emissions regulations have been conveniently rigged to make it all but impossible for us to buy vehicles that use anything other than gasoline or diesel sourced from fossil fuels...much of which we must import from nations that are overtly hostile to us. Why am I as a fuel consumer being forced to purchase my fuel from a nation...such as Saudi Arabia...where women are required to wear bhurkas, denied the opportunity to vote or work or drive, and are regarded as little more than cattle?

soberups

Or, you can just pull up to your local pumps and see what is your reality . You can question it or not. I chose to pump it and drive on. I won't live long enough to have any logical answers.
I drive a Prius that gets almost 50MPG. Last time I filled up, I paid about $4 a gallon for gas.
20 years ago I drove a '77 Mercury Cougar with a 351 V-8 that got about 10MPG. Back then, a gallon of gas cost about $1. So my reality is that I am paying the same amount of money per mile to fuel my car as I did 20 years ago. Its all about choices.

wkmac

Instead of bitching about gas prices, maybe people should be asking why it is that we here in the USA cant buy cars like the VW Lupo, widely available in Europe, that can get 80MPG on a gallon of renewable, domestically produced biodiesel. We should be asking why we cant buy cars that run on natural gas or propane or bioethanol. We should be asking why it is that EPA emissions regulations have been conveniently rigged to make it all but impossible for us to buy vehicles that use anything other than gasoline or diesel sourced from fossil fuels...much of which we must import from nations that are overtly hostile to us. Why am I as a fuel consumer being forced to purchase my fuel from a nation...such as Saudi Arabia...where women are required to wear bhurkas, denied the opportunity to vote or work or drive, and are regarded as little more than cattle?

Well said!

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Here is the reality of gas prices under the last 3 presidents.

8 years of Bush - Gas prices up 25%
8 years of Clinton - Gas prices up 38%
4 1/2 years of Obama - Gas prices up 84.7%

Any questions?
Other than it's made up propaganda? Nope.

gasprice2.png