German Shepherds

J

jibbs

are you allowed to carry pepper spray? im thinking of getting some for when I go into the woods for firewood. almost had a problem with a mama bear a couple years ago. we have on of those portable boat horns near our front door when bears come into the yard. that scares them away fast.

Pepper spray won't always work on an "excited" dog. I've actually never seen pepper spray solve a problem involving dogs.... it usually just turns the situation worse by blinding the dog instead of incapacitating it. I could see it stopping a 15-20lb dog dead in its tracks, but an 80+lb german shepherd? ....naaaaahhhhh, you're just going to eliminate one of the 5 senses he's using to take a chunk out of your ass, but the other 4'll get the job done with no problem.

On a related note, anyone here seen a dog fight at a dog park get broken up by one of the owners trying to clear the pack with pepper spray? Seems to deter every dog except for the two (or several) causing the problem. It's also pretty awesome when you see somebody spray and then immediately walk into the mist to retrieve their dog. Friendly fire can be tragic, but with pepper spray it's ****ing hilarious.

PhatAzz

Sounds like the dog is in the house. Ask customer not to open door and retrieve package until driver has left the premises. Dogs, they're not for everyone.

Maybe a Post it note on her next few deliveries asking her to PLEASE don't open the door until you are long gone.

bigblu 2 you

had a similar issue years ago as a on call driver.basically delivering to an upscale home,rang bell and the dog went bezerk,tore curtains down spit on windows etc.i thought if i had enticed it some it would have broken through the window.only made a few more deliveries there over time but same thing every time.the regular driver told me it acted the same when he delivered,told me they must have spent a fortune replacing curtains and cleaning windows.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Pepper spray doesnt work on dogs, it only pisses them off. Plus, if the wind is blowing (common in my rural area) you are at risk of having it blow back into your own eyes. Most pepper spray canisters also have small plastic safety tabs that must be twisted or manipulated in order to use them, and this can be difficult to do on a dark night if you are amped on adrenaline while facing off against a dog. If a 100 pound dog is charging me with evil intent, I prefer the simplicity and brutal effectiveness of a good heavy club and the 6-cell Mag light works perfectly for that purpose. There is a reason they are popular with cops and its not because they are cheap.

cb1969

First, I was a K-9 handler and worked German Shepherds. They are one of the smartest breeds. You state that you love dogs, Rotties, Pit Bulls and Dobermans are no different. German Shepherds are fear bitters. Which means that when they get scared they are likely to bit. I would not suggest the use of a mag light as 1 you could get sued by the owner. 2nd more than likely you would just cause yourself to get attacked. I would suggest that you back up or drive the entire driveway if you fear for your safety.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let's see---back up driveway, get chewed a new one by center manager. Walk up driveway---get chewed a new one by Cujo.

No thanks---I will bag and leave at end of driveway.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
First, I was a K-9 handler and worked German Shepherds. They are one of the smartest breeds. You state that you love dogs, Rotties, Pit Bulls and Dobermans are no different. German Shepherds are fear bitters. Which means that when they get scared they are likely to bit. I would not suggest the use of a mag light as 1 you could get sued by the owner. 2nd more than likely you would just cause yourself to get attacked. I would suggest that you back up or drive the entire driveway if you fear for your safety.

If the dog tries to bite me good luck suing me. If it successfully bites me ill be suing u and winning. I promise the force behind that mag lite will make the dog think twice or ill beat them until they think twice. I have hit with the board or kicked many dogs. Never had one come back for more.

UPSGUY72

I had a customer with mean dogs that ran loose outside on his farm. He told me to just honk my horn when I pull into his driveway and if he doesn't come out to meet me, don't get out of my package car. Just bring it back tomorrow.

I had stop that before you drove up the driveway you had to close the doors of the package car when you got to the house you bagged the packages and placed them out side the package car with out getting out and with out letting the dogs inside.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had stop that before you drove up the driveway you had to close the doors of the package car when you got to the house you bagged the packages and placed them out side the package car with out getting out and with out letting the dogs inside.

Would you ever consider letting a customer tell you "just bring it back tomorrow"?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
About a month ago I experienced a psychotic shepherd as well while making a delivery. Noticed dog behind storm door while walking up to the house. Placed the parcel on the front porch and rang the bell. Dog began to jump up and scratch against the door as I returned to the truck.
Door pops open and the dam dog is on a full run towards me. I turn to face the dog and it lunges for my head, but managed to punch her in the snout while sweeping the hind legs with my left foot. She goes down and I get her throat in my hand fully intending to choke it to death.
Customer comes out with leash and restrains dog all the while I have the thing in a choke hold. States the dog has a thing for jumping up on people to lick their noses. Sorry but I'm not buying it. All parcels will be left at the end of the driveway until that dog is gone.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with everyone. Especially upstate, Heck buy the box for her with a padlock, send her the key in the mail. Yes its not out, yes it is secure, yes it almost got out once. Shes elderly, it will happen, and she wont be able to stop it. Write it off on your taxes.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Would you ever consider letting a customer tell you "just bring it back tomorrow"?

Nope not their choice. Unless they get everything sent signature required. I have had a few dogs chew up or urinate on packages. My response is always the same. 1) sounds like the customer has a problem not me. 2) better the dog chew up the package than the dog chew on me.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
are you allowed to carry pepper spray? im thinking of getting some for when I go into the woods for firewood. almost had a problem with a mama bear a couple years ago. we have on of those portable boat horns near our front door when bears come into the yard. that scares them away fast.

if my memory serves me correctly pepper spray was originally invented for hikers to defend against bears

MDupsernj

The route I made book on over the summer was a "up in the woods" route. It had loads of outdoor dogs roaming around yards. Beep horn for owner, if they don't come ni1 and loose dog in the remarks column. If it doesn't change next day, bagged and placed as close as I can safely get.

MethodsMan

I was delivering to this house with an open door for a sig req package. Little Sparky the chihuahua hears me ring the doorbell and comes charging at me from the other room. My reflexes told me to shut the screen door quickly before Sparky can sink his teeth.

I shut the screen door swiftly as Sparky arrives and I hear yelp and some whining. The owner gets all pissy with me. Simple solution lady, get a hold of your little ankle biter.

As for Sheperds, I grew up with Sheperds. Very terretorial dogs, great dogs. My father would always introduce the dogs to the postal worker and UPS guy and such so there would never be any issues. It worked back then. As a driver, I can't trust very many dogs that I've never met.

PeasAndCarrots

I've only driven around 50 days so far but I've had many many dog experiences thus far. Last weeks trumps all. I sometimes get a pkg for this old lady's house at the end of a long road where she has a 50+ pound dog that stays outside. She's hard of hearing because I blow horn, yell, slam bulkhead door all while the dog is barking 10 feet from my truck. She seldomly notices I'm outside so I usually just NI1,2,3 with Dog in the remarks. Well last week I turn onto her road and I see her dog at the end of it. I'm thinking oh great, now I have to try to avoid running him over there AND back. I check my mirrors and notice the dog is following me but he's only walking, not running. I keep checking until I turn into her circle driveway. I super quickly unbuckle, grab package, scan it and run for the house where I sat it down. I ran back to the truck and finally saw the dog drag up. I couldn't help but celebrate and laugh at the dog, as if I had just won a long-standing bet against him. I laughed smugly all the way back to the highway where he gave up chasing me away. It was a good day