Global warming

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Islamic call on rich countries to end fossil fuel use - BBC

The Islamic Climate Declaration says that the world's 1.6bn Muslims have a religious duty to fight climate change.

It urges politicians to agree a new treaty to limit global warming to 2C, "or preferably 1.5 degrees."

The Declaration asks Muslims, in the words of the Koran, "not to strut arrogantly on the Earth".

Drafted at an international symposium in Istanbul, the Declaration calls for "all people, leaders and businesses ...to commit to 100% renewable energy".

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
And then there's this article from the New Yorker. Not sure how it fits in here but it does mention California's climate change law at the end.

Environmentalism’s Racist History - New Yorker

Some of the awkwardness of environmental politics since the seventies, now even more acute in the age of climate change, is that it lays claim to worldwide problems, but brings to them some of the cultural habits of a much more parochial, and sometimes nastier, movement. Ironically enough, Madison Grant, writing about extinction, was right: the natural world that future generations live in will be the one we create for them. It can only help to acknowledge just how many environmentalist priorities and patterns of thought came from an argument among white people, some of them bigots and racial engineers, about the character and future of a country that they were sure was theirs and expected to keep.

Sportello

Islamic call on rich countries to end fossil fuel use - BBC

The Islamic Climate Declaration says that the world's 1.6bn Muslims have a religious duty to fight climate change.

It urges politicians to agree a new treaty to limit global warming to 2C, "or preferably 1.5 degrees."

The Declaration asks Muslims, in the words of the Koran, "not to strut arrogantly on the Earth".

Drafted at an international symposium in Istanbul, the Declaration calls for "all people, leaders and businesses ...to commit to 100% renewable energy".
Sounds like the Catholic Pope and the Muslim clerics are on the same page.

Are the 'End Times' imminent?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No matter to them, because it's science fact. How these morons can argue about overwhelming evidence astounds me, but what they're truly concerned about is that governmental action will be required to pass new laws and regulations that will reduce the emissions that are warming the planet. In other words, their hatred and distrust of the government trump logic and scientific facts. Amazing.

They'd rather let industry continue to pollute and make excuses through their Koch-sponsored "scientists" and political hacks who dare not speak of global warming lest it cost them votes with their incredibly stupid and ignorant base.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared. Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelt which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.
Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize,
I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post -- yes, 93 years ago.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The easiest way to reduce pollution would be to reduce the amount of people on the planet .
Less demand for products = less emissions .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I live along the coast .
In my 40+ years of lobster & fishing , no rocks that I know of have shrunk deeper into the seas . No marshes have grown larger .
The gov't keeps restricting what catches they believe are worth saving . But the funny way they do surveys is a joke . They already have an area in mind to preform their " studies " in without asking the local fisherman for their knowledge of the region . They tend to go to areas where no fish are at and declare that no fish are found , thus getting another grant to keep their worthless studies going .
Right now Cod Fish are off limit , resulting in fines of $100+ if caught with one . But they are still for sale in the fish markets , caught by foreign boats way offshore .

Sportello

I live along the coast .
In my 40+ years of lobster & fishing , no rocks that I know of have shrunk deeper into the seas . No marshes have grown larger .
The gov't keeps restricting what catches they believe are worth saving . But the funny way they do surveys is a joke . They already have an area in mind to preform their " studies " in without asking the local fisherman for their knowledge of the region . They tend to go to areas where no fish are at and declare that no fish are found , thus getting another grant to keep their worthless studies going .
Right now Cod Fish are off limit , resulting in fines of $100+ if caught with one . But they are still for sale in the fish markets , caught by foreign boats way offshore .
I'd say your anecdotal memories are wrong.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sea+level+rise+massachusetts

Also cod fishing is allowed South and East of Cape Cod.

Sportello

Well the low tide mark is the same and the high tide still falls short of the seawalls .

I ain't near Cape Cod .
Well, fact do have a well known Liberal bias, so no wonder you would deny them.

Post your favorite local seawall location, and I'll tell you the sea level rise there.