Global warming

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Buy flood insurance. Oh, wait, that's a gov't program. You're screwed.

11inches in last 100 years, rate is increasing.

I love watching these folks post a week of hot temps or a week of below normal temps and then "conclude" there is no global warming. Hello, out there!! It's a long-term deal, which I know is well beyond your limited attention span. We have glaciers melting, ocean temperatures rising etc., all long term signs that something is happening to the planet that is abnormal.

Global warming can actually make some places cooler than normal, but that is confusing science and not the word of the Bible, so it's wrong, right? Perhaps you should take a look at how our weather and climate system works and realize that there is significant change which is well documented and backed-up with scientific facts.

So when your pastor just tells you that God created a self-regulating planet or Rush Limbaugh poo-poos global warming because he's a maroon and his advertisers pay him to spread lies, just believe them. Because you're ignorant.

Sportello

So when your pastor just tells you that God created a self-regulating planet or Rush Limbaugh poo-poos global warming because he's a maroon and his advertisers pay him to spread lies, just believe them. Because you're ignorant.

That is not ignorance. It may be deceit, but more likely just good ol' stupidity.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Buy flood insurance. Oh, wait, that's a gov't program. You're screwed.

11inches in last 100 years, rate is increasing.
Flood Insurance is only required for home owners who reside within a area that the gov't has declared will flood maybe with in the next 100 years and who carry a mortgage .
I have a neighbor who lives on the 3rd floor of a condo building ( built in 1833 ) which has never been flooded now being required to pay hundreds for flood insurance .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We have glaciers melting, ocean temperatures rising etc., all long term signs that something is happening to the planet that is abnormal.
We all reside on a spinning hunk of rock that is moving thru a galaxy that will someday collapse . And you think changing weather patterns is abnormal ?

Sportello

Thanks for the silver lining, but that looks like a mighty dark cloud.

Supporting paper.

Oh, @wkmac, here is a comment I saw regarding your link, from someone who knows a lot more than anyone on BC about the subject:

Not so sure about this...

The surface CO2 concentration of the Southern Ocean is being measured by research vessels or by specially equipped merchant ships as they travel along the major trade routes. The sampling and subsequent analysis is internationally standardised and coordinated, but data coverage depends on each ship’s actual itinerary. As a result, certain regions of the ocean are very well sampled, while there are also regions for which essentially no observations exist.​

The sample area listed within the article is S of 35South, 1. Their are very few shipping routs in the High latitudes, further, ship captains avoid certain areas, certain times of the year due to heavy weather, suggesting time frames where no testing would be done.

The researchers used a newly developed method based on neural networks to create a statistical model of the oceanic CO2 concentrations and then used this model to fill in the gaps. To this end, they also made use of satellite observations of sea water temperature, of salinity and of the chlorophyll content.​

A newly developed model for this single purpose to "fill in the gaps"?

The interpolated surface ocean CO2 data and the estimates based on atmospheric CO2 data clearly demonstrate that the Southern Ocean carbon sink began to revive around 2002. By 2010, its carbon uptake was once again comparable to the level expected on the basis of atmospheric CO2 increase alone.​

Interpolated data based on a second data set, this I would think would be the main source of data, rater than on situ observations.

Anomalous weather patters have been greatly influenced by the Pacific PDO and ENSO. Triggering atmospheric changes that are not consistent in nature and more variable.

Interesting paper....but a lot more work needs to be done before reaching solid conclusions.

Remember all the papers leading up to the Durack et el paper about Ocean Heat content (the missing heat) it was not until the complete set of ARGO Buoys came on line that the ocean heat content was properly quantified.

wkmac

Thanks for the silver lining, but that looks like a mighty dark cloud.

Supporting paper.

Oh, @wkmac, here is a comment I saw regarding your link, from someone who knows a lot more than anyone on BC about the subject:

Not so sure about this...

The surface CO2 concentration of the Southern Ocean is being measured by research vessels or by specially equipped merchant ships as they travel along the major trade routes. The sampling and subsequent analysis is internationally standardised and coordinated, but data coverage depends on each ship’s actual itinerary. As a result, certain regions of the ocean are very well sampled, while there are also regions for which essentially no observations exist.​

The sample area listed within the article is S of 35South, 1. Their are very few shipping routs in the High latitudes, further, ship captains avoid certain areas, certain times of the year due to heavy weather, suggesting time frames where no testing would be done.

The researchers used a newly developed method based on neural networks to create a statistical model of the oceanic CO2 concentrations and then used this model to fill in the gaps. To this end, they also made use of satellite observations of sea water temperature, of salinity and of the chlorophyll content.​

A newly developed model for this single purpose to "fill in the gaps"?

The interpolated surface ocean CO2 data and the estimates based on atmospheric CO2 data clearly demonstrate that the Southern Ocean carbon sink began to revive around 2002. By 2010, its carbon uptake was once again comparable to the level expected on the basis of atmospheric CO2 increase alone.​

Interpolated data based on a second data set, this I would think would be the main source of data, rater than on situ observations.

Anomalous weather patters have been greatly influenced by the Pacific PDO and ENSO. Triggering atmospheric changes that are not consistent in nature and more variable.

Interesting paper....but a lot more work needs to be done before reaching solid conclusions.

Remember all the papers leading up to the Durack et el paper about Ocean Heat content (the missing heat) it was not until the complete set of ARGO Buoys came on line that the ocean heat content was properly quantified.

You might want to contact Truthdig with your findings as they are also reporting the Southern Oceans are soaking up CO2. And they are big advocates of man caused climate change and support global governance action. Guess they got taken in as well.

Maybe the late Nobel Prize physicist Richard Feynman was correct when he said,

"Science is a belief in the ignorance of experts."

source of quote:
The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard Feynman. Richard Feynman. 320 pp. Helix Books/Perseus Books, 1999.

Sportello

@wkmac, not discounting your linked study at all. That seems to be where the 'missing heat' is. I'm just pointing out that there are other factors at play as well, and not all of them are beneficial. Even the increased CO2 absorption in the Southern Oceans has the unwanted consequences of increasing acidity, and algae.

We are learning more each day about our planet and the effects we have on it.

wkmac

We are learning more each day about our planet and the effects we have on it.

Absolutely. Could not agree more.

Would also point out according to the article(s) that it is unclear if this process will or could just all of a sudden shut off which begs there is much more to research and learn. At the moment, I would agree this seems a positive but we have more to learn before full conclusions are drawn.

wkmac

There is one study of planet temps I am interested in and literally it is taking the temp of the planet itself from inside. At one time in my life I was a avid sport caver, member of a cave rescue team and did cave mapping and surveys. I was lucky to live right in the heart of what many believe is the best caving area on the planet and what we call TAG (Tenn, Ala, Ga) and is loaded with caves. Our area was once an ancient sea and our limestone for which caves are found are a memorial to its coral.

Cavers know that a cave temp will reflect the natural median temp of a given location which in our area is between 56 and 58 degrees year round. What is starting to occur and because of better electronics and battery life, temp sensors are being installed deep inside caves by cavers and grottos (what cavers call their caving clubs) to data track this known temp constant. This is also part of protecting large bat colonies who have been under stress for several reasons for decades.

Now it is way to early in the game to draw any conclusion one way or the other and I suspect we have many years, maybe a couple of decades, before enough data is gathered to begin to even see any type of trend.

This will tell us nothing of the cause to my understanding but if the underground temp constant moves the needle upwards, seems to me one would have to take that more serious. If the needle stays the same as the long known constant, seems to me this would suggest there is no effect on the thermal mass of the planet itself if the air temp above earth is rising. But that may or may not correlate to issues above the surface.

Just understanding the world under our feet and having spent so much time there, I would be comforted if the conclusion is no change to the underground temp constant.

Again, it should be stressed to my knowledge there is no data yet to draw any conclusion at all but cavers and scientists are watching the world that exists under our feet to see what can be learned there as well.

What is a concern is the disruption of water recharge to cave systems that also feed major aquifers. In some areas there are noted drops in water recharge and concern for what this could mean for both nature and humans. Water also serves as a cooling agent as it flows below surface so a drop in the water table, what impact does that have on the thermal mass temp of earth? I don't know either.

BTW: If you think you need gov't to protect natural resources of value, well think again. Consider a crazy idea thrown around by a bunch of mud covered southern cavers in the 1980's to what it has become today. Some of these areas are also in conjunction with deer hunters who jumped on board to preserve wildlife habitat and protect it from development. Not all the Ted Nugent's of the world are bad guys.

Southeastern Cave Conservancy

moreluck

golden ticket member
p4G8SCI.jpg