green checks

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by mikesouder, Mar 26, 2010.

1. mikesouder

mikesouder New Member

I have been waiting for over a week now for my vacation check. I was told that UPS will give me a green check today. What does that mean?????

2. atatbl

atatbl Active Member

It will be a live check. Even if you normally get direct-deposit it will not be a direct-deposit. Also, it is issued separately from a normal payroll payout.

3. mikesouder

mikesouder New Member

OK. I heard that UPS had to pay you extra if your check is late. Is that true?

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Only if you grieve it.

Was this vacation scheduled and they simply messed up and didn't pay you or was it a last minute thing where there was no time to cut you a check before you went on vacation? Vacation checks are normally issued two weeks before you go on vacation (it used to be only one week). This was changed in the last contract and is to ensure that the funds are in place before you go on vacation and gives them time to issue another check if there was an issue with the original before you go on vacation. Payroll errors brought to their attention (that is key) must be corrected in the following week's pay; if the error is not, this is where the pay extra if your check is late comes in to play but only if you notify the company of the original error and subsequent failure to correct the error.

It sounds to me like you took this vacation as a spur of the moment thing and the company did not have time to issue you a standard check which is why they are issuing you the green check. It also sounds as though you may be out of luck as far as any penalty pay is concerned.

5. mikesouder

mikesouder New Member

I put the vacation request in 90 prior to my vacation. The request was approved, but never submitted to payroll (an error on the hub managers part)

6. UpstateNYUPSer

OK--did you receive your green check today? If not, you should grieve this and should be entitled to double the amount of the check as it was not corrected by the following pay period.
    If you did receive the green check today you have no further recourse.

7. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

First of all, the vacation check is not technically late until the day before your vacation. After that The company has only 2 working days to correct the shortage, if more than $30, once notified. If not corrected on the second work day, you are entitled to 1/2 your hourly guarantee at strait time pay, for every pay period after that, that it is not corrected. They also must send it to you NDA Saturday delivery if you request it.

Article 17 of the National Master, page 44.

Upstate is way off on this one.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

Green grocer, I stand corrected.

Mike, grocer is exactly right and I apologize for posting inaccurate information. Dave.

9. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

Thank you

10. JonFrum

JonFrum Member

11. ups79

ups79 Active Member

Mark that down, the great one was wrong.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

The short bus has arrived.

13. jimstud

jimstud Banned

green checks are also taxed at a higher rate. they are taxed as if they are a bonus.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

Not according to Article 17, page 45, paragraph 8.

All green checks will be taxed at the employee's regular withholding tax rate.

15. jimstud

jimstud Banned

since when has the contract mattered to management ?

16. UpstateNYUPSer

Feel free to PM me if you need any more contract information.

17. jimstud

jimstud Banned

sorry a moron like myself wouldn't know how to do that .

18. UpstateNYUPSer

That's OK--I will dust off my copy and send it to you. You can ask one of your kids for help with the big words.

19. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

or the union

20. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

So what if they are? It doesn't affect your tax rate at the end of the year. If it bothers you, just change your withholding.