guns

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
The purpose of a gun is to discharge a projectile.

The intent of that discharge lies with the person pulling the trigger, not the gun itself.

Of the 300 million guns currently owned in this country, less than 1/1000th of one percent of them will ever be used to kill someone.
Guns Are Only Deadly If Used For Their Intended Purpose

In all my years of fighting for the cause of gun rights, not once have I ever come across a case of a gun killing a person. In every instance, the real killer has been the bullets that come out of the guns. So if you're going to insist on pointing fingers, point them at the bullet makers.

Okay, admittedly, there is the occasional pistol-whipping victim who never regains consciousness. But that's a freakish, statistically insignificant aberration that merely proves my point: Only when guns are used as intended are they significantly dangerous to anyone.

But try telling this to all the crybabies suing the gun companies because not everybody in their family is alive. What exactly are you suing them for—making a reliable product? That's a laugh. Somebody should be suing those shoddy import jobs: You'd be lucky to kill a baby with one of them.

No, a gun is not deadly when it sits locked up in a collector's cabinet. Guns don't beam bad thoughts into people's heads that make them fall over dead. There is only one way guns kill, and that's if some misguided weirdo follows the rules of proper gun use and actually aims and fires the gun in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
You mean all that time I was sport shooting and target practicing, I was misusing my firearm according to others here?
The purpose of a gun is to discharge a projectile.

The intent of that discharge lies with the person pulling the trigger, not the gun itself.

Of the 300 million guns currently owned in this country, less than 1/1000th of one percent of them will ever be used to kill someone.

Nimnim

The Nim
If a gun's purpose is to kill, why do we have rubber bullets, beanbag rounds and xrep exist?

I think a gun's purpose is to propel an object at high rates of speed, it's a tool. Just like an axe is a tool to split a surface in two, or an engine is to provide torque towards another object.

Rainman

Its all good.
Guns kill.

Sent using BrownCafe App
People kill. Sometimes they use guns, knives, baseball bats, cars, broken bottles, electricity, poison, and a host of other weapons.

Sometimes they use words to jury and drive people to distraction, causing enough pain to cause a person to make a mistake that results in their death.

Oversimplify things like TOS much?

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

Rainman

Its all good.
What would life be like without the ability to defend ourselves without guns? Criminals who are already breaking the law would not hesitate to rape, rob, murder, extort anyone who they chose to. Just take a look at gangs and other organized crime. These people have taken over large parts of many cities, and would extend their reach elsewhere if there were not for deterrents such as armed citizens.

The law enforcement units are under no legal responsibility to protect any individual citizen, and are spending most of their time reacting to crimes already committed, rather than trying to prevent crimes from happening.

Disarming Americans just because of what could happen, (and occasionally does) would create a whole class of victims for the predators already out there and would remove most of the restraints that hold the lawless back from victimizing honest hardworking people like us.

Only a fool gives away his protection and his rights.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
If a gun's purpose is to kill, why do we have rubber bullets, beanbag rounds and xrep exist?

I think a gun's purpose is to propel an object at high rates of speed, it's a tool. Just like an axe is a tool to split a surface in two, or an engine is to provide torque towards another object.
Or target models.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
To hone your killing skills?
If the only purpose of a gun is to kill, then it would follow that the only purpose of a bow is also to kill. Both are inantimate objects that are designed to discharge lethal projectiles; the only difference is in the efficiency and relative lethality of those projectiles. That being the case, are the parents who allow their children to participate in archery trying to turn their children into killers?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
How about Fencing as a sport? Surely anybody who does that plans to puncture another with a big needle. Skydivers do their thing to be prepared for some aircraft snafu.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I see no straw men...only people whose fear and hatred of inantimate objects causes them to advocate for silly laws that serve no purpose other than to create a false feeling of safety.

roadrunner2012

Troll
sober,
I think you are a responsible person, but I also think that firearms should be more closely regulated. I also think that the wealthy should pay higher taxes, and high quality education and healthcare should be available to all.

There is no way in Hades that our slave owing founding fathers could envision 21st century culture. There is no reason in the world we should be still abiding by nebulous language they set down in especially the 2nd amendment.

There are limits on every amendment, except the 2nd. The lack of limits is to allow killing.

I have no problem with hunting, target shooting, competitive shooting, etc.

I do have many problems with idiots and crazy people allowed to own a firearm because ... FREEDOM!

Maybe someday we can discuss this in real time, but for the time being that is not allowed in Browncafeistan.

roadrunner2012

Troll
Just to add on to the inanimate object fear you brought up.

I do fear cell phone use in motor vehicles. When I was a driver that was immediate dismissal, now every UPS/FDX driver is on the phone, let alone the untrained masses I deal with daily. Outlaw handheld devices in moving vehicles is easy, except for FREEDOMS.

You want to use spears and long bows, go for it. Modern crossbows, not so much.

if you want

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I see no straw men...only people whose fear and hatred of inantimate objects causes them to advocate for silly laws that serve no purpose other than to create a false feeling of safety.

Poor old "inanimate objects"... they are the innocent in all killings. The inanimate object is never the first consideration in a killing, its nothing more than a security blanket for the scared, weak and trembling.

Who needs laws against security blankets? Babys use them, small girls love them dearly, so why laws to take them away?

Lets face facts. If you need a gun on you, with you around you or in your hands, thats a FALSE sense of security.

Take a self defense class, buy a german shepard, get an alarm system, move to a nice upscale neighborhood, plan your future better, dont live in dangerous areas and stay away from criminals.

You want security?

Plan your lives better.

The gun itself may be technically an "inanimate object" but the bullet flying out of the chamber is alive and kicking all the way to its target.

The bullet would have no way of "projecting" itself without the gun.

Poor souls who live in fear will never know the feeling of safety.

TOS.