guns

BrownArmy

come on man, get off that...

I apologize.

I assumed you were presenting me a 'straw-man' argument.

If you weren't, explain the suicide-by-exhaust comment.

Is it your assertion that more people 'suicide' by exhaust than by guns?

I'm not sure that's correct.

By the graph that Sober presented, over 19,000 souls have left this planet due to suicide-by-gun (for whatever year that data was relevant).

What am I missing?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Don't blame the means used for suicides .
Suicides are a personal decision .
If a person needs to kill themselves than they will always find a way .

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Less than suicide-by-gun?

Look up 'strawman'.
Japan and South Korea both have a per capita suicide rate that is over 4 times higher than the United States. And private ownership of guns in those countries is virtually non-existent. So there is no link between suicide and easy availability of guns. And that is not a strawman.

bbsam

Staff member
Japan and South Korea both have a per capita suicide rate that is over 4 times higher than the United States. And private ownership of guns in those countries is virtually non-existent. So there is no link between suicide and easy availability of guns. And that is not a strawman.
Both of those countries, I believe, have a far different and nearly reverent view of suicide.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Both of those countries, I believe, have a far different and nearly reverent view of suicide.
So if sociological issues are to blame for the high suicide rate in nations like Japan with little to no legal gun ownership...would it not be equally fair to blame sociological issues on the high murder rate in US cities like Chicago that also have little or no legal gun ownership?

You cant have it both ways...

bbsam

Staff member
So if sociological issues are to blame for the high suicide rate in nations like Japan with little to no legal gun ownership...would it not be equally fair to blame sociological issues on the high murder rate in US cities like Chicago that also have little or no legal gun ownership?

I'm not "blaming" any single factor. but for you to bring up Japan and Korea without acknowledging the difference in attitudes toward suicide suggests it is you who is trying to have it both ways. And if it truly is sociological issues causing the gun violence, and we decide that gun laws absolutely are not the way to go, then we are left with adamantly and effectively addressing those issues.

Yeah. I'm fine with that. But it's not enough to say "no" to one path, and simply let the problems continue unchecked.

And Chicago is in Illinois and last I checked (about a month ago) Illinois' "conceal/carry" laws aren't all that extreme. I could easily obtain one.

bbsam

Staff member

Also, I often hear people despair at the high crime rate in Chicago and yet in 2014 articles were praising the decline of crime because of the increased number of conceal/carry permits being issued. The law remains the same, so is conceal/carry working or did some folks jump to the conclusion they wanted?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...1N5En2U89tu3fx7Iw&sig2=ve-Tq690TGyvIihtmrRkTA

bbsam

Staff member
So is conceal/carry working?

The reason I have my doubts is because every time I've been in Chicago in my adult life, I always kind of assumed that there were folks packing legal or illegal. The law itself was just "words on a page".

oldngray

nowhere special
So is conceal/carry working?

The reason I have my doubts is because every time I've been in Chicago in my adult life, I always kind of assumed that there were folks packing legal or illegal. The law itself was just "words on a page".

Are you denying the drop in violent crime after concealed carry became legal (despite the city of Chicago fighting it every step of the way)?

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Why are you comparing state carry laws with what is allowed in the city of Chicago?
Because if you look at the municipal laws as they stand today, all those restrictions are have a line through them.

Screenshot_2016-04-12-14-14-00.png

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Right, all I'm saying is that if there's a gun in the house, 'suicide-completion-rate' numbers go off the charts.
You mean you might have a chance to save them if there isn't a gun but there is a knife to slit their wrists or a rope to hand themselves?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You can't ban guns , because TOS has mentioned many times that I will be using one to kill myself any day now .
And every one knows that TOS is right about everything .

bbsam

Staff member
Are you denying the drop in violent crime after concealed carry became legal (despite the city of Chicago fighting it every step of the way)?
I honestly don't know. On the one hand I still hear people talk about Chicago's horrible crime rate and yet conceal/carry is alive and well in the Windy City. Weren't criminals supposed to become too afraid that someone might be packing; that "good guys" with guns would strike terror in the hearts of the "bad guys" with guns? Can you really suggest that it has?

wayfair

swollen member
I honestly don't know. On the one hand I still hear people talk about Chicago's horrible crime rate and yet conceal/carry is alive and well in the Windy City. Weren't criminals supposed to become too afraid that someone might be packing; that "good guys" with guns would strike terror in the hearts of the "bad guys" with guns? Can you really suggest that it has?

your link earlier showed that the sheriff denied over 200 CC permits