Has anyone ever asked for a Management board?

nhguy

Dannyboy,
I have to agree with you on the micromanagement aspect of how the company is now run. The local center teams , including the division managers are now virtually powerless to make decisions. This change in culture drove me crazy and I was outspoken about it even to the region manager at a focus meeting one time. The center teams are on strings and it doesn't matter if they agree or not, they MUST tow the line.

Going public was the worse thing that ever happened to UPS.

"Remember the big fish always eats the little ones"

Solidarity413

I will stomp you, then I will light you on fire and then I will pee on the fire.

When is this going to happen? Tie you act real bad, but I have a strange feeling you were just the kid that got picked on in school. You keep on attacking me for my level of education, I'm very confused by this. I've already demonstrated that on a formal level we most likely have the same amount. On a informal level, I clearly have more street smarts then you because I know people don't make statements like the one you just made without being willing to back it up. You get awfully comfortable sitting at your desk throwing mud, but I bet face to face I know who would be the one "stomping". Don't act tough little fella.

tieguy

Banned
When is this going to happen? Tie you act real bad, but I have a strange feeling you were just the kid that got picked on in school. You keep on attacking me for my level of education, I'm very confused by this. I've already demonstrated that on a formal level we most likely have the same amount. On a informal level, I clearly have more street smarts then you because I know people don't make statements like the one you just made without being willing to back it up. You get awfully comfortable sitting at your desk throwing mud, but I bet face to face I know who would be the one "stomping". Don't act tough little fella.

It was an expression discribing how I have been whipping your behind on this message board. Being a union goon with an IQ in the negatives I should have expected that you would apply a literal translation. Next time I communicate with you I'll try crayons and three letter words to better help you understand. Until then try not to pee in your sandbox.

Solidarity413

It was an expression discribing how I have been whipping your behind on this message board. Being a union goon with an IQ in the negatives I should have expected that you would apply a literal translation. Next time I communicate with you I'll try crayons and three letter words to better help you understand. Until then try not to pee in your sandbox.

Rofl, now I'm a union goon? You won't communicate with me next time, I'm going to just put you on the ignore list. You obviously can't speak without insulting me or another union brother/sister. I've never seen you virtually stomp me on here yet, tie. You're a sad management dork who can't tolerate union solidarity, I'm actually sorry for you.

tieguy

Banned
Rofl, now I'm a union goon? You won't communicate with me next time, I'm going to just put you on the ignore list. You obviously can't speak without insulting me or another union brother/sister. I've never seen you virtually stomp me on here yet, tie. You're a sad management dork who can't tolerate union solidarity, I'm actually sorry for you.

Having trouble understanding simple english? I didn't insult your brothers and sisters. I insulted you. Again the only thing you have is your union protecting you from your own ignorance. Your brothers and sisters here have much more to offer then the wearing of a T-shirt with their locals name on it. Try putting yourself on ignore while you're at it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Going public was the worse thing that ever happened to UPS.
I wonder how much of that is wall streets blame. Or said another way, how much to blame is our CEO in trying to please wall street.

In an environment of double digit returns in many sectors, the pressure is on to the CEO to compete with those sectors for the cash. So then instead of focusing on long term growth of the company, we are focused on giving the higher returns than others.

This last quarter, we were one of the very few that showed a profit. But that is not enough, they want to show more.

Tie, one of the great things about this site is that you you can have a "knockdown, drag the bodies out" discussion on ideas, agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, we all still bleed brown. Even after leaving UPS almost 4 years ago, there is an intense pride when seeing one of our fleet going down the hiway, making deliveries, or just watching as the UPS man takes care of business.

As long as we dont self destruct, there is not another company that can take us down.

I was part of that for 33 years, doing my best to live up to the tradition handed down. Still got that pride..........Kinda like the "once a Marine, always a Marine".

d

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
going public allowed us to raise enough money to purchase SCS, Overnight, and expand opetations in China and hundreds of other countries. we needed to do it to compete.

i would love to go private again...not sure if it would be a good or bad thing long term. i hate to say it, but probably bad for our company globally.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I understand the value of the public stock sale. Both on a national and international level.

That has allowed UPS to show a real value to the public and the business sector.

I also believe that since going public, we have lost an identity that was ours alone. I dont know if going private again would restore that or not. But I would love to try.

Return to United Parcel Service, instead of United Partial Service.

d

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
danny, we do a great job for millions of customers everyday....as long as we keep running our business well and continue to have a good balance sheet, our stock will always be looked at as a valuable investment to have.

funny story - there was an account we (UPS)) were going after for YEARS. we couldnt get past the receptionist. an ASM new to the territory took it upon himself to do some research (it was an insurance company) on their stock portfolio (insurance companies invest in the market to increase profits and cash flow) and he found they has TONS of UPS stock, and no FedEx stock. the AE and ASM made an appointment with the CFO, asked him why they invest in UPS...he told us...then we asked why he used FedEx.

they switched about a week later.

If the drivers did not bring YOU sales leads you would soon be on the unemployment line. Do ANY cold CALLS?? Bet not !only LEADS! which came from SOME DRIVER! who will get bilked out of their lead! because you say you found it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mangement staff does ALL it can to FIRE the real FACE OF UPS the DRIVERS! customers don't know you or like you they tolerate you and build a RELATIONSHIP with the driver. I can list several companies in the 43219 zip that would gladly switch because of management harrassing their driver without CAUSE!

going public allowed all UPS management at the time of going public to exercise INSIDER TRADING!! ALL mgmt was aware of it and some even invested more money in UPS A stock before it went public. therefore their money was doubled. Were you there? did you make a capital gain? bet not! what is the stock at now? last I heard was $32 per share when it opened at $50. mgmt is the reason stockholders got a dividend. they got no raise, no 401K, and no bonuses= unhappy mgmt but happy investers WHO COUNT not you pal.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
going public allowed all UPS management at the time of going public to exercise INSIDER TRADING!! ALL mgmt was aware of it and some even invested more money in UPS A stock before it went public. therefore their money was doubled.

That is incorrect information.
Purchase of UPS Stock was frozen prior to announcement of the IPO.
Additionally, all UPS employees employed for one year or more could have bought the stock prior to it being frozen.
Furthermore, if this made up fantasy of yours were true, it would not have been "INSIDER TRADING!!". Insider trading rules apply to company stocks once they announce and apply to go public.

going public allowed all UPS management at the time of going public to exercise INSIDER TRADING!!

You better contact the SEC on that one.

ALL mgmt was aware of it and some even invested more money in UPS A stock before it went public.

Once the IPO was announced there was no more buying of the stock (per SEC rules) If you had money in an account to buy at the end of the quarter I believe it was refunded to you.

therefore their money was doubled. Were you there? did you make a capital gain? bet not! what is the stock at now? last I heard was $32 per share

10 or 12 years ago it was probably a split adjusted $32 ($16)

when it opened at $50

I think it opened in the $70's

mgmt is the reason stockholders got a dividend.
they got no raise, no 401K, and no bonuses= unhappy mgmt but happy investers WHO COUNT not you pal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the drivers did not bring YOU sales leads you would soon be on the unemployment line. Do ANY cold CALLS?? Bet not !only LEADS! which came from SOME DRIVER! who will get bilked out of their lead! because you say you found it!

Your mangement staff does ALL it can to FIRE the real FACE OF UPS the DRIVERS! customers don't know you or like you they tolerate you and build a RELATIONSHIP with the driver. I can list several companies in the 43219 zip that would gladly switch because of management harrassing their driver without CAUSE!

going public allowed all UPS management at the time of going public to exercise INSIDER TRADING!! ALL mgmt was aware of it and some even invested more money in UPS A stock before it went public. therefore their money was doubled. Were you there? did you make a capital gain? bet not! what is the stock at now? last I heard was $32 per share when it opened at $50. mgmt is the reason stockholders got a dividend. they got no raise, no 401K, and no bonuses= unhappy mgmt but happy investers WHO COUNT not you pal.

Again, what are you babbling about?

UPSer21

Operations Supervisor
Wow this thread is actually pretty sad. Neither Union or Management is better than the other. We are suppose to, and need to be working as a team. I do think that some management people need to come down off of their high stool, and that some union members need to work with the best interest of the company in mind. Management should act as the eyes and ears of their operation, respect their employees, and direct employees. Not spend time belittling them. If your people respect you then the work will get done. I am in management in case any of you are wondering from my un biased post. I'm not looking to join in on this pissing contest, nor do I care who started it or for what reasons.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wow this thread is actually pretty sad. Neither Union or Management is better than the other. We are suppose to, and need to be working as a team. I do think that some management people need to come down off of their high stool, and that some union members need to work with the best interest of the company in mind. Management should act as the eyes and ears of their operation, respect their employees, and direct employees. Not spend time belittling them. If your people respect you then the work will get done. I am in management in case any of you are wondering from my un biased post. I'm not looking to join in on this pissing contest, nor do I care who started it or for what reasons.

Agreed - it is a 2 way street.

whiskey

The 1999 UPS IPO produced roughly 3000 new instant millionaires the second that opening bell rang on Wall Street. It was solely a center manager event. Many bright, young, talented center manager's exited UPS following the IPO 6 month waiting period to get at their pot of gold. Many young former UPS center manager's could be found on your local golf courses smoking cuban cigars. Replacing that talent was impossible.