Have customers help unload bulk stop?

Just curious, does anyone ever have the customer help unload bulk? If so how do you get them to help you? Thanks for the help in advance.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I accept the help if they offer it, but I do not allow myself to develop a sense of entitlement or expectation around it. It isnt the customers job to do our work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have a few customers that will help, but like sober said, I don't expect it. If I have a heavy pkg I will 'ask' one of the guys to come and get it. I haven't ever had a guy refuse to help me. LOL

Cementups

Box Monkey
I do not bu tthe guy who used to have my route actually had some of his customrs trained on teh DIAD and when he would get there he would park the truck and hand them the DIAD and go to the break room and the bathroom. When he would get back all the packages would be scanned and signed for and signature clarified so he could just get in the truck and go. He was on teh same route for 20 years so he knew and trusted everybody.

DorkHead

My first large bulk stop is unloaded by the customer because he separates the pkgs onto 3 carts for the different departments. I scan them when he puts them on the carts. 50 to 110 pkgs/day. In return I treat them like gold.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My first large bulk stop is unloaded by the customer because he separates the pkgs onto 3 carts for the different departments. I scan them when he puts them on the carts. 50 to 110 pkgs/day. In return I treat them like gold.
Sounds like Walmart!!!!!!! LOL

that is awesome!

browniehound

I think we get more help on bulk stops than any other stop. I covered routes for 6 years and that was that case for each route.

Like everyone said, I don't expect help but when you can get it, its a real boost.

The only place I expect help is the UPS store on Mondays. I go there to deliver in the AM and they have Saturday's stuff all over the place and would like to be swept at 11 am on Monday.

As most of us know, UPS stores are really difficult to pick-up. On Monday, its 100 packages and its usually through a front door.

They only way I sweep them is if an associate helps me load the truck. Otherwise, I'll see you at six and take my time when I'm done delivering.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
browniehound;335132 As most of us know said:
WOW Brownie, you have to use the front door? Our Ups store does have a back door. Moandays are brutal, though. I do have to say though, if you are only picking up 100 pcs on monday, that is a light day compared to ours. We can easily hit 150/200 on mondays. (Not joking!) The driver that has our UPS store has one other bulk p/u on the route. The route easily brings in 400 pcs on monday. (Again, not joking!) Mondays on that rte suck!!!!!!!!!!

brownrodster

When your job is to fill a P12 up in 2.5 hours all help is appreciated (500+ packages). One customer requested earlier delivery and later pickup but I did not do it because they do not help me load or unload. They even called in a complaint. Bummer for them, no help equals no special service. Delivery is about 50 heavy packages a day and pickup is over 100 heavy packages a day. I'll get there when I get there.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
WOW Brownie, you have to use the front door? Our Ups store does have a back door. Moandays are brutal, though. I do have to say though, if you are only picking up 100 pcs on monday, that is a light day compared to ours. We can easily hit 150/200 on mondays. (Not joking!) The driver that has our UPS store has one other bulk p/u on the route. The route easily brings in 400 pcs on monday. (Again, not joking!) Mondays on that rte suck!!!!!!!!!!
I agree,100 pieces on a Monday is a slow day.I have recently been the 1st sweep at a UPS store,I use the front door.My center team bought them a BIG u-boat so I load that up a few times.I only need help when there are over 70's.Never a problem getting the help.Have been averaging 200 pieces.Some days I can't fit it all.

DeputyDip

Backwoods Hillbilly
I do not bu tthe guy who used to have my route actually had some of his customrs trained on teh DIAD and when he would get there he would park the truck and hand them the DIAD and go to the break room and the bathroom. When he would get back all the packages would be scanned and signed for and signature clarified so he could just get in the truck and go. He was on teh same route for 20 years so he knew and trusted everybody.
That is awesome. I'm sure no one in mgmt would see the awesomeness, but nevertheless, it is awesome.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...

Handing them the DIAD and walking away? Not me. Can't risk some goofball missing a scan. You bet I expect help. The receiver just watching you unload is crazy. I've asked many times for help and they don't seem to mind.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont like it when a route is dependent upon help from customers to get done. A route needs to be dispatched on the assumption that the driver alone will be doing the work. If you count on help that may not be available one day, you are screwed. Dispatching a route is sort of like taking off in a jet airliner...you dont want to put enough fuel in it to get you to your destination "most" of the time.

looper804

Just wanted to add that the local fedex driver on my route will pull up to a commercial stop and beep his horn to notify to the customer that they should come out and get their delivery.UPS has gained a lot of additional volume(deliverys and pickups) because of this.Is this normal procedure for fedex?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Looper, are you saying that he beeps his horn prior to backing up to the delivery point or does he beep his horn and then sit his butt in the parking lot waiting for the consignee to come out and get their delivery?

Sober makes an excellent point. Help at a delivery is gravy and should neither be counted on nor figured in to a dispatch.

looper804

Looper, are you saying that he beeps his horn prior to backing up to the delivery point or does he beep his horn and then sit his butt in the parking lot waiting for the consignee to come out and get their delivery?

Sober makes an excellent point. Help at a delivery is gravy and should neither be counted on nor figured in to a dispatch.
Pulls up in front of a store and beeps.Most customers complain to me about it.I tell them have thier shippers send it UPS and I will be glad to bring it in.Customers that have Fedex pickup accounts that have complained I have submitted a sales lead for them and have won quite a few of them.

dillweed

This question was brought up in my driver training class. The instructor said that it's not only acceptable but that it seems to form a bond between driver and customer.

New Englander

Just wanted to add that the local fedex driver on my route will pull up to a commercial stop and beep his horn to notify to the customer that they should come out and get their delivery.UPS has gained a lot of additional volume(deliverys and pickups) because of this.Is this normal procedure for fedex?

It's not a FedEx thing. We have UPS drivers who do the same.