Helper abuse

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
After figuring out how to sort a truck and manage stops I always thought peak was easy money. That was running about 85 miles and 280-330 stops per day and getting my last 120 or so stops by 3:30 from a parked budget truck. The most stress I had was worrying about being assigned a chain-smoking machine.

A few years back I had a good helper who was a little off...it was like I was living in a soap opera everyday. Time flew by and I couldn't wait until the next day to see what type of twist the story would take. Crazy mother!

I've been back in the hub plenty of times while laid off in feeders. I would take a crappy day in package over the building any day of the week. Too many people watching and worrying about what other people do inside

Last edited:

MitEman

I like to keep it simple:
1)Helpers safety is my responsibility
2)Pay for meals, snacks, drinks
3)Be Kind Be Professional Be Thankful
4)Be Fair, Fight for what's right

I wondered if Helpers did exit interviews, and the Driver read what was said about working with them, if the Drivers were really representing the Company and the Union well.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
...or because they have been shown how to do the job properly and the pace with which the job needs to be done...

Dave
I'm betting you're not as good as you claim you are otherwise you wouldn't have to constantly reaffirm how amazing you think you are as a driver.

People who have skill sets and are good at those skill sets learn to be modest knowing what it takes to accomplish what level they want to be at.

People who constantly have to say they're amazing, usually aren't.

Ever heard the term "quiet professional "?
Operators in the spec ops community use that term.

It means if you gloat too much, you aren't worth what you say you are

Turdferguson

Just a turd
...or because they have been shown how to do the job properly and the pace with which the job needs to be done...
27370.jpg

Really ?
Even you can't believe that .

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Having an extra set of hands during peak is nice. However I think there are other motives that are the reason that helpers are used by UPS. The driver actually does pay the helpers wages.
Here are my thoughts....the other day I had my helper for 3.99 hours. In that time we did 120 stops. In the next 7.5 hours I did 130 stops in a rural setting. Before the helper timecard was factored into my timecard it was a 13.25 paid day. After helper timecard was factored in that was reduced to an 11.6 day. UPS is not paying the helper, I am by my lost wages. He got paid approximately $36 for the time that he helped me. I lost $75 from my reduction in paid day.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Having an extra set of hands during peak is nice. However I think there are other motives that are the reason that helpers are used by UPS. The driver actually does pay the helpers wages.
Here are my thoughts....the other day I had my helper for 3.99 hours. In that time we did 120 stops. In the next 7.5 hours I did 130 stops in a rural setting. Before the helper timecard was factored into my timecard it was a 13.25 paid day. After helper timecard was factored in that was reduced to an 11.6 day. UPS is not paying the helper, I am by my lost wages. He got paid approximately $36 for the time that he helped me. I lost $75 from my reduction in paid day.
Will this bankrupt you !
Would you rather be out even later ???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

View attachment 106722
Really ?
Even you can't believe that .

I 100% believe that.

The package car does not move until the helper has his seat belt on.

My helper is a co-worker and as such I will train him on the basics of the job and then expect him to perform at his best with minimal supervision.

The kid who has been covering my route all week was a Peak helper who I was able to get hired on as a permanent employee. There are at least two others that I can think of off the top of my head that I was able to get permanent PT jobs-----both no longer work here for reasons unrelated to that.