Helper abuse

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My helper board usually had the majority of my stops in it---especially residentials. Any problems with people claiming they never got their package could then be blamed on the helper---they were long gone by then.
My helper board got tossed in the back under my lunch box, never to be handled again until I clocked out.

Geo926

Once I pickup a helper he/she is with me for the duration unless helper needs to leave early, regardless of what the piece of paper says about stop count/ helper hours

Yep me too. The stupid sheet usually says only 3 or 4 hours approved but I keep him/her all day. Management doesn't seem to mind.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
When you are talking about people who make minimum wage for 2 or 3 hours you are talking about people who frequently dont have cars. Or cell phones. Or gas money. Meaning you pick them up at a bus stop and the bus schedule is a variable you must factor in along with ORION compliance, stops in helper board, 3 hour limits, and other silly metrics created by geniuses who never delivered a package in their life.

I have not seen a helper with out a cell phone yet...

Dr.Brownz

Really, what's the point in having a helper on a rural route? Some of our "busier" rural routes average 7-9 stops per hour.

With no EDD and a bricked truck (no matter how small) you need a helper at least the first half of the day but rural route so the helpers going to stay all day. (no one in management is going to say drive back an hour to drop your helper off) Plus you need to be alert to not die while driving on a rural route in the winter snows.

CleverNameHere

Reason # 6578 Im thankful today to never have to take part in the insanely silly job of package car driver during peak (or really anytime,) ever again. You guys can have your mental and physical well being ruined just in time for Xmas and justify it by bragging about OT. I will be content with my little OT in the hub, warm and rocking my beard with nary a care in the world. Not driving an overloaded Doo Doo brown mobile and stressed beyond reason already before even driving a worthless helper with an IQ of 40 all over creation. Bullet dodged! You guys have fun out there

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have not seen a helper with out a cell phone yet...
I've had helpers without them. More frequently are helpers who are sharing one with their significant other, or helpers whose phones are down to vapor on their prepaid minutes.

Bottom line is that most of the management people who coordinate, train, hire and budget for helpers have never actually used one in the real world, and their expectations reflect that.