Helping other drivers

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Get a reputation as a me, me, me person, not wanting to help another driver that's in a bind. Somewhere down the line, it will be flipped around and it might be you who is over dispatched and needs help. When that happens, and it will, the people who you bitched about helping are going to be as hard to find as a sasquatch. Karma.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I just started driving and the sups asking me to help other drivers... I've been helping out other drivers...last week one driver I helped gave me 70 packages when it was already 5pm when I meet up with him. I don't mind helping out at all but damnnn...today I just got done with 180 stop and its 6:30 pm. the sup called me and wanted to me help out a driver. Its dark out and I'm tired.

With a statement like that (only 6 weeks in) it's easy for people to take shots at you. And I will too.

You filled out the application, because you wanted the job.

What advice can you guys give me?

Think of the alternatives....

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_163745358_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221201_163745358_HDR.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 59

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I just started driving and the sups asking me to help other drivers... I've been helping out other drivers...last week one driver I helped gave me 70 packages when it was already 5pm when I meet up with him. I don't mind helping out at all but damnnn...today I just got done with 180 stop and its 6:30 pm. the sup called me and wanted to me help out a driver. Its dark out and I'm tired. What advice can you guys give me?
Slow down.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Enjoy every minute..cha$ ching..while everyone else is broke at Christmas, you won't be. Getting done at 8 during peak is normal.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
I just started driving and the sups asking me to help other drivers... I've been helping out other drivers...last week one driver I helped gave me 70 packages when it was already 5pm when I meet up with him. I don't mind helping out at all but damnnn...today I just got done with 180 stop and its 6:30 pm. the sup called me and wanted to me help out a driver. Its dark out and I'm tired. What advice can you guys give me?
You probably went and helped a person that has 80 business stops and a total of 220 stops. Your mere 170 you residential stops don't even compare.

Brownwind

It’s your new normal. Work hard and get as much money saved as possible. You’re gonna be laid off when the volume drops in January.

Pullman Brown

F0ACCFE3-A3B4-4EDB-A5E6-77B3C19E5141.gif

HavenoEDD

Thoughts and prayers to you during this horrible time.

This so something you shouldn’t be complaining about especially as your a seasonal. You don’t have the job permanently and they are going to use and abuse you. If you have any want or hope of becoming a full time driver…embrace the suck, learn the game and work as instructed.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

You’re not going to be rewarded here with an early day if you finish early. The only prize for a job well done is more work. Either you’ll help or you’ll get more stops. If you’re qualified and hired as a cover, slow down. Don’t let a driver no matter the seniority give you 64 stops at 5pm. Put your foot down on that crap ASAP or you’ll be taken advantage of every time. You get the easiest area they have left, no more than 25 stops unless it makes sense to take more, like if it’s a housing development.

HyperBrn

I was extremely lucky to be retained as an RPCD after being hired as an outside seasonal driver. But my Center is very small and didn't have droves of internal candidates vying to become a driver. That said, I spent the entire seasonal period doing EXACTLY what I was directed to do. I NEVER said no to an request, even if I was ALLOWED to. And I kept my head down and JUST DID MY JOB.

I believe that the combination of my performance and attitude helped me get a permanent position as a driver. If you want to do the same, I believe my best advice to you is like what others are saying. "Embrace the Suck" and do EVERYTHING within your control to show that you are a better asset to the company as a driver than you are as an inside employee.

Good luck!