Here’s what I’m thankful for today

Brownwind

Not that I suggest it, but just for fun, that's $26,000 extra a year if you were to work 50 6th punches. In case some people don't know, Saturday is the easiest day of the week.
I only work a few of these Saturdays. I have other income coming in from investments.
(My driving salary won’t scratch the surface on living expenses where I am).
You are correct about Saturday work. It’s all about the customer and is pretty easy work.

JL 0513

Really?

Without the Union, we would be making $10 an hour less, or even more. Probably $15 an hour. We would not have the same pension and would have co-payments on healthcare.

We are probably making more than $2500 a month, plus better healthcare, pension, working conditions and job security. Well worth the $100 a month in Union dues.

I look at the strike fund as insurance. It is there if you need it, but there are no refunds if you don't use it. I am OK with that.

Well then put your letter in and go into management if the Teamsters aren’t doing you right. I’m sure the company will take care of a dedicated company man such as yourself
That's not what I mean. I appreciate and understand how much the Teamsters make a difference in our pay and benefits. All you have to do is do a side by side with FedEx.

My point is that we can't hate on the company that actually writes the checks. One must understand that the Union also exists to benefit themselves, not just us.

Brownwind

You don't notice all the Holidays we work and deliver to that are closed? My wife gets twice the paid days off I do.
That’s excellent. One’s I know in the medical field are also doing well with their compensation. Unfortunately they don’t have the pension we do

Nah
UPS hiring me as an off the street package car driver. Been with the company a long time and when they kept me it wasn’t like it is today. It was very hard to get hired off the street. No two tier wage system like we had in the last contract. It was a lottery ticket if they kept you. Once I was hired permanent I was 100% a union employee. Almost immediately got on 9.5 and have stuck up for my rights every day since. We all bad mouth the company and don’t like certain aspects.

They’ve given me a life I could’ve never dreamed I’d have income wise. Don’t want to get into details but anyone who knew me in my late teens, early 20s, if you told them the money I made today they’d say he’s either dead, or theres no way. Thank you to the management team that gave me this job and called me back.

I’m going into work tomorrow and I’m going to make $133.56 an hour for the first 8 hours of the day, and $89.04 an hour for the remaining to do absolutely nothing. Thanks UPS.
I'm thankful for the experience and money I made at UPS while I was there. And especially for the job I have now, which provides me with a better work life balance than I could ever get at UPS and a decent income.

JL 0513

That’s excellent. One’s I know in the medical field are also doing well with their compensation. Unfortunately they don’t have the pension we do
Government jobs and education is where it's at for paid days off. It's unbelievable how they get every day off that is even barely considered a holiday.

Oh, and banking...😋

FromOffTheStreets

The union def helps out with the higher wages & benefits. However, NOONE would stay @ ups if they were paying 20-25. The workload is almost double fed ex & p.o. is mainly letters.
Ups knows they require far more hzrdus conditions and are willing to pay higher wages for it. The union isn't forcing them to "pay up" in other words. They know they have to pay considerably more to get people to reject a normal life.
If the union can negotiate for a regular 8 hour day for those who want it & bring the weight limit back to 70 lbs as well as keep the high pay, then I will give 100% credit to the union.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
That's giving the Union 100% the credit when the company pays 100% of the pay and benefits. The Union deserves their credit but they arguably take a lot more money than the services they provide. Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate driver will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.

Worth it for the 6 figure job. Do you think there is any other outfit that would pay us that much otherwise 😂 We would have to actually learn how to do something!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
That's not what I mean. I appreciate and understand how much the Teamsters make a difference in our pay and benefits. All you have to do is do a side by side with FedEx.

My point is that we can't hate on the company that actually writes the checks. One must understand that the Union also exists to benefit themselves, not just us.
The company would love to get rid of you and have a kid that has no seniority in your position. They would love to wring him dry then rinse and repeat. The company despises all employees but they especially despise those who are at top rate.
Don’t kid yourself

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The union def helps out with the higher wages & benefits. However, NOONE would stay @ ups if they were paying 20-25. The workload is almost double fed ex & p.o. is mainly letters.
Ups knows they require far more hzrdus conditions and are willing to pay higher wages for it. The union isn't forcing them to "pay up" in other words. They know they have to pay considerably more to get people to reject a normal life.
If the union can negotiate for a regular 8 hour day for those who want it & bring the weight limit back to 70 lbs as well as keep the high pay, then I will give 100% credit to the union.
UPS pays as little as they possibly can. If you think wages, benefits, vacations and retirement would be the same or better without the union then by all means put in your Letter of Intent and go into management.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
That's giving the Union 100% the credit when the company pays 100% of the pay and benefits. The Union deserves their credit but they arguably take a lot more money than the services they provide. Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate driver will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.

Most non-union jobs get many more paid days off than we do, ironically.

You don't notice all the Holidays we work and deliver to that are closed? My wife gets twice the paid days off I do.

6FC3A8D8-A3C7-473F-8924-8A9D239DA3DB.gif

JL 0513

What holidays do you work others don’t? Again please give us some examples
Presidents Day
Juneteenth
Good Friday
Christmas Eve for many too

Are some paid days off they get, and of course they get the day off for these "Working Holidays" of ours.

Columbus Day
Veterans Day
MLK Day
Black Friday

UPSER1987

Really?

Without the Union, we would be making $10 an hour less, or even more. Probably $15 an hour. We would not have the same pension and would have co-payments on healthcare.

We are probably making more than $2500 a month, plus better healthcare, pension, working conditions and job security. Well worth the $100 a month in Union dues.

I look at the strike fund as insurance. It is there if you need it, but there are no refunds if you don't use it. I am OK with that.
A lot of probably and speculation for a guy that was quick to point out the inaccuracy of others lol.