Here’s what I’m thankful for today

Thebrownblob

Most non-union jobs get many more paid days off than we do, ironically.
Really? I think you’re exaggerating because every year at Thanksgiving when people talk to me about my job and hear that I have seven weeks of vacation and half a dozen days holidays off as well as a couple personal days they almost choke on their turkey.

Thebrownblob

That's giving the Union 100% the credit when the company pays 100% of the pay and benefits. The Union deserves their credit but they arguably take a lot more money than the services they provide. Only once they pay strike pay do they ever give it back.

Over the course of the next 5 years, each full rate driver will give the Union nearly $7,000. Most of their work takes place in the last few months of the 5 year contract. Steep price for those negotiations.
Have you ever been to your local union, ever been to a meeting? Maybe your local isn’t as active as some but I can assure you there’s a lot going on all five years of a contract.

Manifesto

Presidents Day
Juneteenth
Good Friday
Christmas Eve for many too

Are some paid days off they get, and of course they get the day off for these "Working Holidays" of ours.

Columbus Day
Veterans Day
MLK Day
Black Friday
And these same people get how many weeks of vacation paid at 45 hours or 50 hours an option week (at least where I am)?

JL 0513

Really? I think you’re exaggerating because every year at Thanksgiving when people talk to me about my job and hear that I have seven weeks of vacation and half a dozen days holidays off as well as a couple personal days they almost choke on their turkey.
I should have clarified that I was talking about Holidays as that what the conversation was about. I agree when it comes to vacations, we have it pretty good. Unless all of your family works in retail or restaurants, I bet they get just as many or more Holidays off. I bet they have today off while we are working.

Manifesto

Not talking about vacations.
Just pointing out that the vast majority of us would prefer having more time off overall than some stupid day like Columbus Day off. Some people just like to find something to complain about. You know very well UPS would never give us all those extra holidays without taking a week of vacation away.

Thebrownblob

I should have clarified that I was talking about Holidays as that what the conversation was about. I agree when it comes to vacations, we have it pretty good. Unless all of your family works in retail or restaurants, I bet they get just as many or more Holidays off. I bet they have today off while we are working.
My wife owns her own business, one kid is a nurse, The other physical therapist all working today for regular pay. The only people I personally know who have more time off than I do are people who have government jobs. 🤷‍♂️

Non liberal

If that’s what you took from my post,you’re clueless. The post wasn’t made as a thank you for what they are paying me tomorrow. It was a thank you for the life they’ve given me. I just added on tomorrow for craps and giggles. Carry on.
Ha! You don’t have a family, do you?

Non liberal

That’s excellent. One’s I know in the medical field are also doing well with their compensation. Unfortunately they don’t have the pension we do
Nurses are pretty much the only ones who would make the same as us in the medical field. This cracks me up truck drivers think they make as much money as “those in the medical field” like they’re eluding to drs or something. No, you might make the same as SOME nurses, everyone else in the medical field makes at least twice we do.

JL 0513

There's a lot of different types of nurses with a wide range of income. There's also lots of medical staff below nurses - medical assistants, etc. that don't make much.

Non liberal

There's a lot of different types of nurses with a wide range of income. There's also lots of medical staff below nurses - medical assistants, etc. that don't make much.
Yeah, there’s a lot above them too. And a lot folks like to make it sound as though we make as much as the “medical field” NO, you make as much as some nurses, and I guess the janitors below them

Thebrownblob

Yep my family knows a lot of different kinds of nurses and the only ones who make MORE then us is nurse practitioners here. which is basically just below a doctor.

No argument that doctors make more than us and should, they also spent Tens of thousands of dollars on school.

JL 0513

Just pointing out that the vast majority of us would prefer having more time off overall than some stupid day like Columbus Day off. Some people just like to find something to complain about. You know very well UPS would never give us all those extra holidays without taking a week of vacation away.
I agree. I'd take the extra week vacation too. I know UPS needs to operate on "minor" Holidays because of the nature of the business. I was merely pointing out that many jobs exist that get indeed get every holiday on the calendar off.

JL 0513

Yeah, there’s a lot above them too. And a lot folks like to make it sound as though we make as much as the “medical field” NO, you make as much as some nurses, and I guess the janitors below them
We do actually make more than many young lawyers though! People think all lawyers are making a killing but it's actually not true until you put the years in and especially make your own practice.

Non liberal

Yep my family knows a lot of different kinds of nurses and the only ones who make MORE then us is nurse practitioners here. which is basically just below a doctor.

No argument that doctors make more than us and should, they also spent Tens of thousands of dollars on school.
I have three good friends whose wives are nurses as well as my mom. They all make 110-120k a year. Yes us truck drivers are close to that, but we’re also working a lot of hours to get there as well. And odd hours.

Non liberal

We do actually make more than many young lawyers though! People think all lawyers are making a killing but it's actually not true until you put the years in and especially make your own practice.
Ok, but when they do become part of a firm or get their own practice they will blow our salary out of the water.

Non liberal

And sorry.. 100k a year is the new poverty level, or is about to be. Pretty soon with the way inflation is going, you won’t be able to raise a family on 100k a year.

Trucker Clock

A lot of probably and speculation for a guy that was quick to point out the inaccuracy of others lol.

It's not too hard to figure out. You only have to look at what other delivery companies pay their drivers. What other freight companies pay their drivers.

Should we start with Amazon?

Amazon’s website states that DSP associates earn at least $20 per hour “at select stations.”
Average Amazon DSP Delivery Driver hourly pay in is approximately $18.52.

How about FedEx?

As of Nov 16, 2023, the average hourly pay for the Fedex Ground Delivery Driver jobs category is $16.57 an hour

How about freight?

Check out Estes, Old Dominion, XPO, etc. They are paying $30-35 an hour. And they only pay that much to keep them from trying to organize. If it wasn't for the Union, we would all be at $25-$30 an hour.