How hard is it to learn a rural route?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
If you do get the rural route, start keeping a route book.

Anytime you have trouble locating an address, jot down a few notes that will help you the next time.

A simple drawing is a tremendous help when you have 8 mailboxes nailed to a board next to the hard road, but you get down in the bottom where the trailers are, and nothing is numbered.

9.5er

I'm a cover driver. I run all kinds of different routes. The rural routes are easier but I get bored on them. But given the choice I'll take boredom over the city hustle any day.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have the option to bid on a rural route. I know very little about the area. It is basically a small town 20 or stops and than 80 to 90 stops in the country.
That actually sounds pretty heavy for a rural route. I didn't mind rural routes as an unassigned driver. I wouldn't want one everyday. I prefer routes that start on the outskirts of town and work their way out into the country. But not too far. You may love it out there though. Unless its a bunch of unpaved gravel roads and you have hemorrhoids.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
We had a route run out of this center for years that would never go out with more than 65 stops. But, you knew you were going to run between 220 and 270 miles.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
That actually sounds pretty heavy for a rural route. I didn't mind rural routes as an unassigned driver. I wouldn't want one everyday. I prefer routes that start on the outskirts of town and work their way out into the country. But not too far. You may love it out there though. Unless its a bunch of unpaved gravel roads and you have hemorrhoids.
There's a cure for those.

upload_2016-1-27_20-18-50.jpeg

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It is much easier with 911.

Ask your OMS or supervisor if they could print out the delivery records for that area. This would give you an idea of how the current bid driver runs the route.

Concentrate on learning the roads before you try to learn any of the "tricks" of the route, such as where you can leave packages for people who live out in the middle of nowhere but work in town.
With ORION your rural route is a new route everyday. The 10 bad days a year are not enough to make up for the gravy that is country livin. I'll only walk so far and then EC is my friend.

WorknLateHuh

I'm a cover driver. I run all kinds of different routes. The rural routes are easier but I get bored on them. But given the choice I'll take boredom over the city hustle any day.

Agreed, there's 3 routes I do that avg 160 to 190 miles with 60 to 80 stops... I love being out in God's country. The snow is tough to deal with, but worth it.

The best things about routes like that imho are no traffic, no bulk (walkthrough truck everyday), and in the summer you're under the canopy of the forest all day so even on the 90+ days it is bearable.

The things that aren't so great... bouncing down dirt roads all day long, the dust, no signal to stream music, kind of boring/lonely, and goats climbing in and out of your pc haha

IMG_0199.JPG

wayfair

swollen member
Rural route customers are great people, you meet a lot of great people!

Only complaint I had on the one I ran, was all the red dirt. Last 50 stops were in town but had rode with me all day and acquired all of the red dirt the PC vacuumed up the previous 6 hours of gravel road... Had a friend/customer who had a shop on the way out of the country run. He'd let me use his air compressor to blow out the back of the PC.... good times or at least better than delivering red dirt covered packaged where you couldn't see the label.
Good times

UPSER110

Rural routes arent bad to learn especially with 911. I also had an opportunity to bid a rural route this year but passed it up. usually 50-55 stops is a 11 hr day with 250+ miles. I didnt bid it b/c there are alot of crappy roads and they cut it 1-2 times a week plus I dont want to get on the 9.5 and fight to get it down. One of my favorite rural is the one that has a small town. It an hour away from the center, 30-40 stops in town (county seat) and 10 or so in the neighboring small town, and 20 or so out of town. Most people work in town so when the weather is bad they help you out.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
[QUOTE="Brownslave688, post:

I personally wouldn't call 100+ stops rural though.[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking. Our "city routes" don't take out that much. I guess I'm super ultra rural with 62.

S

selfcancelsignal

The county cross overs can be tricky at 1st when running rurals. After a week or 2 & a few notes, shouldn't be a problem. I like doing rurals on coverage, but not sure I'd like to bid one of those routes. Not a fan of driving in the snow & ice on my own route, let alone a rural route.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Was nervous as hell when I found out I'd be learning a rural route as a cover driver. Now I would give anything to have that as my daily route...and who cares about the snow, u either bag it and leave it by box or EC it. Also don't have to worry about ppl complaining about leaving it at the bottom of their lane, they understand and most ppl in the country are easy going anyways. Worst thing about rural route tho is watching out for dogs, pretty much everyone has one. Take it, sure beats the city driving and traffic, and driver follow ups. Plus if u have to poo poo just go in DR bag n chuck it out the window;) something exciting about that, Wadda Rush

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Sups can print off ODS maps that have the stops marked and numbered. Just play connect the dots. Easy way to learn a rural route.
Not really..long driveways...never knowing wats at the top, not knowing if you can turn around...another pain in the ass..not EASY by any means. That's why another driver who knows the route inside n out needs to train u, not management.