How many make it to retirement?

Shiftless

In Feeder if you didn't screw up or go thru a nasty divorce due to crazy hours, more than likely you made it to retirement, I agree.

rod

Retired 22 years
They used to change Center Managers every 5 years or sooner with us. Every new one that came down the pipeline was going to set the world on fire. It got to be a game getting them to join the real world. I lost track of how many center manager's I had in 30 years. Just after I retired in 2001 a new female center manager took over and is still there. I hear now that because center manager's are basically robots who can't make a decision she is in charge of 3 centers in the area and is a total B.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We had a lot die from random stuff like cancer, car wrecks, and murders. There’s actually a route that two drivers died on, one after another after bidding it. The deaths weren’t from the route itself, just creepy circumstance. If you count the amount that got fired for random stuff, it’s double the deaths.

twoweeled

I think 85% is a good number.We put up with a lot of crap but I knew from day one I was in for the long haul.I stayed 35 years(thank God for feeders)but doing well now working on my 9th year of retirement.Hang in there you all will make it too.
I remember when I first started package. I was ready to throw in the towel! Damn, that is a tough job!
article-2544552-1AE6CAEC00000578-196_634x462-300x219.jpg

sikidiki

We had a lot die from random stuff like cancer, car wrecks, and murders. There’s actually a route that two drivers died on, one after another after bidding it. The deaths weren’t from the route itself, just creepy circumstance. If you count the amount that got fired for random stuff, it’s double the deaths.
let me get this straight, someone murdered them while they were working sort of murder?

Shiftless

Don't know the statistics, but my paperwork is turned in. Count me as 1 that made it. Retiring at 49 with 31 years in.

CONGRATS! I too left at 49! BEST thing I ever planned for in my life! In about 50 days I will have been retired 13 years "But Hey" whose counting! I have had a blast so far.

Word of advice (for what ever that's worth) STAY BUSY! You sit down and let life run over you like some have, your end may come sooner than planned. You may soon find thoughts in your head like " When did I ever have time to go to work" you will be so busy. Busy is Better!

twoweeled

They used to change Center Managers every 5 years or sooner with us. Every new one that came down the pipeline was going to set the world on fire. It got to be a game getting them to join the real world. I lost track of how many center manager's I had in 30 years. Just after I retired in 2001 a new female center manager took over and is still there. I hear now that because center manager's are basically robots who can't make a decision she is in charge of 3 centers in the area and is a total B.
That was pretty much my experience in package. I'd guess that was everyone's experience in package. Female managers, were virtually always B's, or they left to another area outside of operations. But it is funny how managers and sups come in like they have an original idea on handling a center and it's drivers. LOL While it was always, samo samo for us! They come in concerned, willing to listen to your problems. Then when the "honeymoon stage" is over, it's back to "samo samo"! LOL!!
I gotta admit. Managers in operations have a tough job. I wouldn't wanna deal with me! I'm not sure what I would've done with me.

Shiftless

Yes, Peer 80. I actually miscalculated. I could have left last July...grrrr. Oh well, just waiting for all paperwork to go through. Only 7 more Monday mornings to deal with. Sure puts a pep in your step!

Well you are still 49 and way ahead of the rest. So GOOD FOR YOU!

If you are in the Teamsters Western agreement peer 80 doesn't mean health insurance automatically. You know that right? I don't know other regions and I only know what I learned prior to retiring 13 years ago.

Shiftless

We have been paying into retiree medical for 20 years here in NorCal. Coverage for you and your spouse. Only children aren't covered.

UP front I don't know the ins and outs of the new Teamcare or what ever they call it now for peer 80 retiree's!

Hopefully someone can expand on this subject?

When I retired from the Western Conference. Looks as tho you are also under the same. In the WCT you had to be Physically 50 years old for UPS to continue your health insurance into the peer 80 program. I was in the initial wave of "post UPS all state expansion" employees leaving under the peer 80 program at that time. Me leaving at 49, 13 years ago was VERY unusual I would assume not as unusual but still very rare.

Back then as long as your actual leave date is on or beyond your 50th birthday your golden for health insurance. Do your homework before you walk out the door for the last time! You dont want to break coverage from going employee to retiree!! I had to plan this detail in so that altho I was not 50 I was still considered an employee even tho they threw me a going away party and handed me a boatload of paper checks (actually auto deposited but you got the paper anyway) for all my unused Vacations, Holidays, Sick pay . This is back when we had payroll clerks. Which from what I hear today that job is all electronic this and that BS, NO HUMAN to make your last days simple. Like I said, I retired 13 years ago here in a 40 plus days. I cant imagine the peer 80 language getting better and allowing you to make your last day before your actual birthday.

Bottom Line! Verify this subject before you walk and break the employee tie with UPS!

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
In local 315 here in NorCal, we don't have TeamCare. We opted in years ago to pay into Retirement Security Plan (Gold). We have been diverting something like .91/hr. so that we'd have decent retiree coverage. The main requirements for this coverage are that you are retired, and have been contributing for 4 years into the plan. There is no age requirement in any of the documentation. Even if there were, I'm only going to be 1 1/2 months short of 50 when I retire. No worries. Thanks for looking out!

Shiftless

No problem Looking Out! Hope it all goes well for you!

You are under Joint Council 7. I was in Joint Council 42. So Both under the same WCT Pension Plan.

I get you are Nor Cal, I was So Cal. AND, I have been gone 13 years altho you and I will have retired under the same peer 80 program apparently??

BUT! Here is where my concern lies:

In my case the Peer 80 pension plan does not provide my retiree health insurance directly. Altho it is part of the contract that UPS is the actual provider. AND Again, I have been gone awhile and I get you are Nor Cal I would still do your due diligence with both the WCT and UPS directly regarding leaving employment with UPS. I would absolutely make sure you get the same answer from both parties before you make that last day happen.

Trust me! This company gets a chance to nix a Teamster of his insurance, they will do it ! Heck you miss the monthly premium to them, try and get re-instated!