how much was your first paycheck if you remember?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by TheAsianLegend, Aug 26, 2013.

1. TheAsianLegend

TheAsianLegend New Member

I get my first check this Thursday, i'm not bummed out or anything cause i know this job is a part time and i should get around 110-120 after tax.

I just want to know how was your reaction on your first paycheck if you remember?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

$120 is less than my bar tab on a saturday night.
  3. 3 done 3 to go

3 done 3 to go In control of my own destiny

I have it in a box somewhere. But, I was so happy to be getting 10 bucks an hr. 1988
  4. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

I worked about 20 hours and take home was around $50.
    ​Start pay was $3.32 hour.
  5. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

​Wow! Do you go "top shelf" or buy for everyone?
  6. RonBurgandy??????????

RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

Captain and cokes, beers, some wings and an appetizer. Maybe a beer here or there for a pretty lady and bam. Your ups part time first paycheck is an equivelant to a Saturday night out.
  7. Returntosender

Returntosender Well-Known Member

8. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

I think I owed the union their dues on my first check. Seriously.
  9. MethodsMan

MethodsMan Active Member

Horses and buggies?
  10. Cementups

Cementups Box Monkey

Probably about the same. $100-120
  11. Buck Fifty

Buck Fifty New Member

My guess it had something to do with the horses and your screen name .
    Lasted edited by : Aug 26, 2013
  12. Baba gounj

Baba gounj pensioner

In the late 70's , about $250 ( gross ) .
    And since everything was still cheap , a buck would go a long way .
  13. rod

rod retired and happy

I believe my first ck as a full timer was for 4 days at $6.75 an hour. My wife worked for the State of Minnesota full time for $3.25 an hour. You would have thought we were Mr. and Mrs. John D. Rockerfeller when people found out we made 10 bucks an hour back in 1971--------------------------and we damn near were. We saved enough money that first year to put $10,000 down on an older $18,000 lake home. (I wish I still had that house) We lived in it for 5 years and sold it for over twice what we paid for it.
  14. Con1989

Con1989 Member

My first check I received $109, which was about a year ago.
  15. BMWSauber1991

BMWSauber1991 Member

Don't forget the massive union due they take out from your first check.
  16. Con1989

Con1989 Member

They didn't start taking out the union initiation fee's out of my check for a few weeks. I don't know why it took a few weeks for them to start either
  17. 8Keys

8Keys Member

They shouldn't take initiation fee until you have actually made seniority and joined the union. But I guess some places don't do it that way. My training started on a Thursday, so I probably had a small first check. A typical work week for me in 2001, assuming I showed up all 5 days and it wasn't time for union dues, was about 20 hours for $130 or so after taxes. That's crazy. My apartment rent and utilities were 3 weeks pay!
  18. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

My first check was for less than $100. I worked 15-20 hours on preload at $6.21 per hour ( 25 cents above the usual starting rate of $5.96) but had $25 taken out for union initiation ( 4 x 25 for the $100 initiation fee at that time).
  19. serenity now

serenity now Guest

I can't remember the amount from 2 weeks ago; and you want me to cast back 30 years. C'mon people..........
  20. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

my first FT week ck was for 308 and I was thrilled to have a steady income coming from the self employment ranks !!