How to become a Driver

Seasonal1

I'm 37 years old. I have a college degree. I am looking to change careers to be outside more (I was in an office environment since the age of 22). I was hired off the street as a seasonal driver with UPS for the '16-'17 peak season. From what the supervisors told me I did very well. They also really liked my attitude. I am a hard worker and being outside the office was great. I loved it once I got the hang of it. I'd like to become a regular driver.

They did not hire me as a regular driver at the end of the season. But then again they may not have hired any of the seasonal drivers as regulars. Or if they did, maybe they picked those that had done several seasons already. I don't know.

There is the other route of applying for a regular driver job on the external job postings site, but that is also a long shot with internal candidates aiming for those getting priority. I did apply recently to such a posting, but have not received a call yet.

So that leaves working as a part-time package handler or a part-time supervisor prior to becoming a regular driver. The head supervisor had told me at the end of the season it would be best to work as a package handler and work my way up. I told him I had no problem doing the physical work, but that given that I was making $70K a year at my full-time office job it would be difficult (maybe that is too light a term) to go to $12 / hour part-time. Would it be possible to have an office job for a time and then become a driver?

Next day, the supervisor working under him tells me to pick out and apply for some supervisor or other non-driver non-package handler jobs on the internal job postings site and he will give me a great recommendation. So that's what I did.

I didn't hear from any of those jobs, but I kept in touch with HR and they came through for me with a part-time package center supervisor (just to clarify - not a pre-load supervisor) job in the same building I worked out of for the season. I went to the interview and it went well. It became apparent that that same supervisor from my seasonal job gave me a great recommendation for this position. It looks like I very well may have this position. I will find out soon.

So now the question...is this what I should do if I want to become a regular driver? Or would I have a quicker route to a regular driver by being a union package handler?

What is the pay for a package center supervisor in the Chicago area? Any other insights would be helpful. Thanks.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm 37 years old. I have a college degree. I am looking to change careers to be outside more (I was in an office environment since the age of 22). I was hired off the street as a seasonal driver with UPS for the '16-'17 peak season. From what the supervisors told me I did very well. They also really liked my attitude. I am a hard worker and being outside the office was great. I loved it once I got the hang of it. I'd like to become a regular driver.

They did not hire me as a regular driver at the end of the season. But then again they may not have hired any of the seasonal drivers as regulars. Or if they did, maybe they picked those that had done several seasons already. I don't know.

There is the other route of applying for a regular driver job on the external job postings site, but that is also a long shot with internal candidates aiming for those getting priority. I did apply recently to such a posting, but have not received a call yet.

So that leaves working as a part-time package handler or a part-time supervisor prior to becoming a regular driver. The head supervisor had told me at the end of the season it would be best to work as a package handler and work my way up. I told him I had no problem doing the physical work, but that given that I was making $70K a year at my full-time office job it would be difficult (maybe that is too light a term) to go to $12 / hour part-time. Would it be possible to have an office job for a time and then become a driver?

Next day, the supervisor working under him tells me to pick out and apply for some supervisor or other non-driver non-package handler jobs on the internal job postings site and he will give me a great recommendation. So that's what I did.

I didn't hear from any of those jobs, but I kept in touch with HR and they came through for me with a part-time package center supervisor (just to clarify - not a pre-load supervisor) job in the same building I worked out of for the season. I went to the interview and it went well. It became apparent that that same supervisor from my seasonal job gave me a great recommendation for this position. It looks like I very well may have this position. I will find out soon.

So now the question...is this what I should do if I want to become a regular driver? Or would I have a quicker route to a regular driver by being a union package handler?

What is the pay for a package center supervisor in the Chicago area? Any other insights would be helpful. Thanks.
Never heard of a part time package center supervisor. Just an FYI, you'll probably make under 50K your first two or three years if you do become a driver.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

They hire package drivers at 6 to 1 ratio. 6 from inside to 1 from outside. Being in management you would be considered an outside hire.

ManInBrown

There is no such thing as applying for a regular driver job on the external job posting site. Anything you see is seasonal only. Only 2 ways to get a FT driver job. PT package handler and put your name on the list, seasonal hired off the street. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Just because you didn't immediately get called back and hired permanent, doesn't really mean much. I've seen them call seasonals back years later when a spot opened up. If you left a good impression you never know

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no such thing as applying for a regular driver job on the external job posting site. Anything you see is seasonal only. Only 2 ways to get a FT driver job. PT package handler and put your name on the list, seasonal hired off the street. Good luck. I hope it works out

Nope.

I was hired off the street as a driver (not seasonal) in April 1989.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You mean 6 union picks and 1 management pick, right? I forgot I had heard that too.

Nope.

Inside hires are based solely on seniority date for qualified applicants.

Outside hires must meet eligibility requirements before being considered for hire. I was a vet and was told that was the deciding factor between me and another equally qualified applicant.

Seasonal1

There is no such thing as applying for a regular driver job on the external job posting site. Anything you see is seasonal only. Only 2 ways to get a FT driver job. PT package handler and put your name on the list, seasonal hired off the street. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. Just because you didn't immediately get called back and hired permanent, doesn't really mean much. I've seen them call seasonals back years later when a spot opened up. If you left a good impression you never know

I pointed out to an HR person that the posting said temporary, seasonal, but he said it wasn't. So I guess he lied or was misinformed.

Are you saying I cannot become a driver after being a part-time supervisor? That is a conflict with what Turdferguson said.

ManInBrown

I pointed out to an HR person that the posting said temporary, seasonal, but he said it wasn't. So I guess he lied or was misinformed.

Are you saying I cannot become a driver after being a part-time supervisor? That is a conflict with what Turdferguson said.
Very rare. I've never seen it happen. Almost impossible to cross back over once you go management.

PT sups go one of two ways. They stay PT sups forever, or they take a liking to you and you eventually become an ORS

ManInBrown

Interesting. We have three drivers in my center that were once part time management. Different all over I guess.
Here we have had 4 or 5 PT sups drive during peak the last couple years. None were allowed to stay a driver. All were driving to become an ORS which they all did

Box Ox

I told him I had no problem doing the physical work, but that given that I was making $70K a year at my full-time office job

I wouldn't make the move if I were you. UPS is not the place to seek adventure and/or a change of scenery if you're already making 70K in a comfortable office gig. Even if you're bored.

If the career change would be a necessity for you, go for it. The pay and benefits are great, but you're not gonna be seeing them for a long time (especially if there are further concessions in the 2018 contract). Otherwise, enjoy the air conditioning, family time and a body that doesn't hurt.

I was hired off the street as a seasonal driver with UPS for the '16-'17 peak season.

The impression you get of the job from delivering a temp driver route during a peak is gonna be far different than jumping in and out year round.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Unless they can't get 6 to 1 interest, correct? No one here wants to drive anymore. Almost all drivers come from outside.

Since I retired almost 4 years ago, almost all the drivers my old center has put on have been outside hires.

The only exceptions have been recently hired PT'ers.

None of the old timers want anything to do with driving.