Hows the "teamsters for obama thing looking now?"

Atomic_Smurf

Its 4 months away....if we dont like contract all we do is vote no and make the white collar criminals pay up. easy as that!

Not completly opposed to a strike but how well do you think UPSs customer base would respond. I don't see them being as forgiving a second time. White collars are going to make money regardless of your indignation. The more they make the more we have to bargain against. No point in being mad about it. We wont make $32hr without those profits.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No, but you can thank the expansion of Right To Work legislation for increasing that starting wage. Unions are admittedly negotiating a better contract for new hires now that more people can choose whether or not to join the union. How's that taste?

If you think RTW has anything to do with INCREASING part time pay I want some of what your smoking. I support but not in its current form at all.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Not long ago, teamsters officials nationwide were begging us to vote for obama!!! Why????hows that looking now?? Obama care ??

As the great morman andy reid would say.... The time is yours!!!

IBT backed Obama in order to throw off the shackles of the IRB later on down the road - probably in Obama's last year in office. I generally despise the Democratic Party - save for a few exceptions (Dennis Kucinich being one and he was drawn out of his own district). This is primarily because the Democratic Party only gives lip service to labor; "we" didn't get EFCA and drastic cuts to social security and Medicare were being proposed by the alleged party of working people. Foreign policy and civil liberties wise, the two parties are essentially the same (pro-drone striking Muslim weddings to kill a "suspected" terrorist, pro-NDAA, etc.)

All that being said, I voted for Obama only because he gives us more leverage at our negotiations - in the event of a strike, a Romney-appointed Labor Department would do anything in its power to break us and/or order us back to work. The same Romney administration would also use the bully pulpit of the presidency to attack us and our "gold plated benefits" and our history as "union thugs" and "communist-backed agitators."

Even if we don't pull that card out of the deck, an Obama-appointed Labor Department gives us more leverage and UPS knows this. All this babbling about Obamacare is asinine; the AFCA might cause us to pay taxes on our so-called Cadillac Health Plans later on down the road as part of our income but that's it. Health care costs have been rising rapidly because we have one of the most inefficient health care systems in the First World; personally, I felt an individual health care mandate without cost controls didn't make sense. Last, but certainly not least, we also have a rapidly aging work force, with the baby boomer generation gearing up for retirement.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I chuckle at these threads. UPS's problem is that it has high labor costs in relative to its largest competitors; open your eyes -- FedEx Ground is growing by leaps & bounds whereas UPS Ground remains stagnant. While I take the perception that I should be rewarded for my increased productivity over fewer hours, I can understand the company's position.

Anybody Teamster who bases Obama & the Democrats needs to research & contrast the airline bankruptcy that occurred in the mid-2000s vs. American Airline's ongoing bankruptcy today. In the mid-2000s, right-wing Republican appointees agreed to unprecedented relief, from dumping pensions, tossing out union contracts, breaking unions (Northwest Teamsters IIRC), etc. -- while signing off on huge executive compensation packages ... for the same folks who drove their companies into bankruptcy. Compare that to American Airlines, which has openly whined that the Democratic administration refuses to grant it similar relief... several execs opened discussed that they hoped when Romney took over this would change.

This could be you one day...........

Atomic_Smurf

If you think RTW has anything to do with INCREASING part time pay I want some of what your smoking. I support but not in its current form at all.

Increasing starting wages for the first time in decades & also bringing the insurance availability date back to 90 days. This, while we face concessions in other areas. Maybe you would agree to call it "unintended consequences"?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Increasing starting wages for the first time in decades & also bringing the insurance availability date back to 90 days. This, while we face concessions in other areas. Maybe you would agree to call it "unintended consequences"?

LOL. Seriously? A contract as you described would handily be defeated among FTers and much of the incumbent PTers.

Try again.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Yeah, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the 21 new taxes, 2,300+ pages of legislation & mandates that Nancy Pelosi said we had to pass to find out what is in it. Romney ran on repealing O-care.
And Romney was known for the Romney Care....................SSDD

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Although I think Atomic_Smurf has been completely off-base on most of what he's said, there's a tiny kernel of truth here. I'm a steward in a RTW state and it's sometimes difficult to sign up guys to pay dues that are making $8.50/hr. Unrelated but still relevant: the low PT starting wage also doesn't help with attendance, which is 90% of the disciplinary stuff our stewards handle. When you're being screamed at to work harder in a trailer in the middle of a sweltering summer, that $8.50/hr wage is a spit in the eye compared to the mileage you're putting on your back. A higher starting wage will make the UPS PT package handler position less of a "throw away job" and help us keep the younger members we do manage to sign up.

When RTW passed in Michigan, it sent a shot across the bow of union leadership across the country. While I'm certain our negotiators would always prefer to "do the right thing", that sentiment isn't how **** gets done. Quite frankly, the old adage of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" rings true here. And that wheel is the impending wave of RTW legislation being considered in GOP-held state legislatures with majorities built upon grossly gerrymandered districts.

$8.50/hr for a union shop is disgraceful, whether you agree with me or not; in order to keep growing (within UPS, at least) we have to recognize the reality of RTW and "deliver the goods" for UPS new hires in order to show them what their dues get them.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
How many democrats does it take to fix ANY problem? None they'd rather blame Bush for everything on Earth as well as super novas in neighboring galaxies and wait until election day to vote for a commie that they hope will solve everything for everyone.
step away from Faux news mate. The Republicans are doing Fark All to solve any problems,and prefer to blame it on Obama

Funny, i dont recall Obama attacking any innocent countries under lies and BS while charging the war to the national debt,while casuing the worst Financial Meltdown the US ahs seen since the Depression
You republicans can bloody well sod off,and when you come back you can sod off some more 44454_550975544924315_1730393291_n.jpg
44454_550975544924315_1730393291_n.jpg

step away from Faux news mate. The Republicans are doing Fark All to solve any problems,and prefer to blame it on Obama

Funny, i dont recall Obama attacking any innocent countries under lies and BS while charging the war to the national debt,while casuing the worst Financial Meltdown the US ahs seen since the Depression
You republicans can bloody well sod off,and when you come back you can sod off some more View attachment 8765
I dont recall any other president who wanted to use drones on his own people! Do you??

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Although I think Atomic_Smurf has been completely off-base on most of what he's said, there's a tiny kernel of truth here. I'm a steward in a RTW state and it's sometimes difficult to sign up guys to pay dues that are making $8.50/hr. Unrelated but still relevant: the low PT starting wage also doesn't help with attendance, which is 90% of the disciplinary stuff our stewards handle. When you're being screamed at to work harder in a trailer in the middle of a sweltering summer, that $8.50/hr wage is a spit in the eye compared to the mileage you're putting on your back. A higher starting wage will make the UPS PT package handler position less of a "throw away job" and help us keep the younger members we do manage to sign up.

When RTW passed in Michigan, it sent a shot across the bow of union leadership across the country. While I'm certain our negotiators would always prefer to "do the right thing", that sentiment isn't how **** gets done. Quite frankly, the old adage of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" rings true here. And that wheel is the impending wave of RTW legislation being considered in GOP-held state legislatures with majorities built upon grossly gerrymandered districts.

$8.50/hr for a union shop is disgraceful, whether you agree with me or not; in order to keep growing (within UPS, at least) we have to recognize the reality of RTW and "deliver the goods" for UPS new hires in order to show them what their dues get them.

The Teamsters could strike a deal which merged the pay scales of PT & FT, and I doubt it would increase union participation (within RTW states) much. I work with somebody who's banking over $20/hour and refuses to join the union, insisting that he -- not the union -- earns his pay through hard work & that he'd bank similar compensation elsewhere considering the time he's put in. I should add ... he's an irreg driver that averages 5 hours each day while the rest of need to ask for our guarantee ... and he doesn't put highlight tape on over 70s, or tape open boxes ... the company has tried removing him from his position but the union has kept him in it. And he still won't pay dues.... honestly, the sentiment is echoed by many PT & FT on BrownCafe as well.

I dont recall any other president who wanted to use drones on his own people! Do you??

You need to turn off Fox News, which spinned the comments toward their agenda. The Bush Administration said that should another 9/11-type attack occur, they'd have no problem blowing up passenger airlines ... which is really indifferent from what Holder was getting at.

Atomic_Smurf

LOL. Seriously? A contract as you described would handily be defeated among FTers and much of the incumbent PTers.

Try again.

I'm sure it's hardly a concern of most PT & FT workers & they may strike it down for that reason but it's what our union wants. They want to be able to show new hires the benefits to being in a union so they will want to join. they aren't going to sell to many new UPS employees on the greatness of the union when they are starting at $8.50hr when McDonald's down the street starts it's employees at $9. When the word gets out, every BA will be talking about how great this is. Wait & see.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I'm sure it's hardly a concern of most PT & FT workers & they may strike it down for that reason but it's what our union wants. They want to be able to show new hires the benefits to being in a union so they will want to join. they aren't going to sell to many new UPS employees on the greatness of the union when they are starting at $8.50hr when McDonald's down the street starts it's employees at $9. When the word gets out, every BA will be talking about how great this is. Wait & see.

Get your head out of your butt. hall hasn't laid out the economic proposal for incumbent employees yet, you're just assuming. And he's previously attempted to adjust the status quo situation of PTers subsidizing higher compensation for the FTers, but to no avail. I suspect the same will happen this time. No different than anything we've seen before.

FACTS not assumptions....

Atomic_Smurf

Get your head out of your butt. hall hasn't laid out the economic proposal for incumbent employees yet, you're just assuming. And he's previously attempted to adjust the status quo situation of PTers subsidizing higher compensation for the FTers, but to no avail. I suspect the same will happen this time. No different than anything we've seen before.

FACTS not assumptions....

He's never addressed this issue as strongly as he has in this contract. I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept. Don't you want people to make better money?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No, but you can thank the expansion of Right To Work legislation for increasing that starting wage. Unions are admittedly negotiating a better contract for new hires now that more people can choose whether or not to join the union. How's that taste?

Troll alert. This is the rubber fact man....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Obama has now ordered more drone strikes on people than any other Nobel Peace Prize winner in history. Of course Yasser Arafat didn't have drones.

damn right he has. His strikes have crippled Al Queada. and this is wrong How???????????

This is the proper way to fight the war: behead the enemy whilst keeping US forces out of harms way,and lets not underestimate the psycholocgial value of the Terrorists NEVER feeling safe.