husband terminated...advice please.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All I know of the specifics are what's in the termination letter.

"Did not follow proper methods and procedures when you did not sheet packages properly."

The details are irrelevant at this point.

The 22nd is two weeks away. He needs to find a temp job to help pay the bills between now and when he gets his job back, which he will.

DO NOT ASK FOR BACK PAY!!

jes13r

He's not asking for back pay, not putting the blame on anyone other than himself....he's basically going in with the idea of asking for mercy and being eternally grateful if he gets it.

Like I said, he knows and admits he did wrong.

The pay is obviously a sad thing missing, but the insurance is another huge thing (like I said, two little ones).

What's sad about this situation, it could have been taken care of at the local level.

I believe UPS does this on purpose.
Reason number one,to put fear in the employees.

Reason number two. To cost the union money. It costs money to go to the panel.
And Brown has a lot more than the Teamsters

oldngray

nowhere special
What's sad about this situation, it could have been taken care of at the local level.

I believe UPS dies this on purpose.
Reason number one,to put fear in the employees.

Reason number two. To cost the union money. It costs money to go to the panel.
And Brown has a lot more than the Teamsters

Agreed. UPS will really come down hard on a few token examples but other times it will be more of a wrist slap. I only saw a couple of similar cases and they were settled at the local level.

jes13r

I'm not that big into conspiracies and all of that because they usually just act as a scapegoat....but the Union B. A. said that keeping him out until the actual panel hearing would keep him from being one of nine cover drivers to make their 156 days this year.

Not saying that takes anything away from him being guilty...but he hypothesized that it may have a part in it not being handled locally.

jes13r

It was just dish network boxes. As far as I know the ones that dish sends to the customer and they're supposed to put hardware in and send back.

shepski79

Ok we just had a guy we hired off the street last peak who they made full time in June. He was signing for packages at an apt complex where signatures were required at every apt. He sat for a month but is back now. LISTEN UPS PEOPLE. They know everything. If you ask yourself at every stop. WILL this look right on paper. That is it. There are reports about reports. Think twice. Save your ass. They are boxes. Not worth your job missed is missed.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
My husband has been with ups for three years now and is/was a temporary cover driver. He was recently discharged for dishonesty. He sheeted up packages while waiting at his letter box rather than at the actual address when no one was home to send back dish network boxes. He knows what he did was wrong, and only defense was that he was trying to save some time. He has no previous disciplinary actions against him.

He went to the local hearing and admitted he did wrong and was trying to save time. Apologized, etc. Now it is going to a regional panel. Any advice or enlightenment for us?

We have two year old twins and it's taken a pretty big toll on our savings to pay bills while he's been out of work, plus the expenses for traveling to the hearing. Hoping he won't be going for nothing.

If he was actually at the address to make the attempt on a call tag, no time was saved by waiting til later to record the stop.
This could have been done as he walked back to the truck.
Why would he wait to enter the stop in the diad? Something isn't right with the story. Did he drive past the house and not seeing a car in the driveway, continue on his way? Did he know from past experience that the people were usually not home during the day, and not travel to the stop?

If he was not at the address when he entered and completed the stop, he has placed himself in a perilous situation, and truly is at the mercy of the decision makers.

They have all the evidence needed for dismissal if they want to go that direction. The GPS stamp at the (stop complete) has already convicted him.

That being said, I do hope he gets his job back. Please let us know the outcome, on this same thread.