husband terminated...advice please.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I understand the importance of being there, but I'm not sure how we would avoid a hotel...drive 7 hours to be there at 8am and then home another 7 hours after 5 pm?

It would help if he was given a specific day, but instead told anytime between Sept 22 and Sept 24th.
Gotta admit never heard of that. Everyone I know that's been to panel knew exactly when and approx what time even.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Ride out with your BA. If you are able to go. He is fighting to get your job too. Total BS firing. Made an example of him. They will find anything on everyone. No one is perfect. Even the guys on this forum. Manager targeted him for a reason

Ouch

I've gotta package 4 u has given some good advice. Go to the hearing. Be humble. Don't run your mouth. Answer with yes sir no sir, or mam. I would say he has an 80/20 chance of getting his job back. Time served for punishment. Let this be a lesson to him as to what not to do next time. When it's all over the company will act like they have done him a favor. Being truthful employees before him have done the same and the company has set the presidence by bringing them back. They will try and recruit him to be their do everything. He will owe them nothing but a fair days work for a fair days pay. The union will be the ones that get him his job back by representing him. Tell him to be strong and best of luck to you guys.

JL 0513

I can't believe he didn't get a warning letter if this was the first false sheeting offense. What happened to progressive discipline? There should only be certain things that get you fired on first offense like stealing. My center has had guys falsely sheet NDA (scan>drive>deliver) after the $25m lawsuit and just get a letter. That's now the worse sheeting offense and no firing even after multiple PCM warnings on the subject.

This is the type of sheeting "error" usually ignored. There has to be something else to this. Who knows.

This job is amazing. Union and yet more ways to get fired than any job I've ever seen. I've always had the sense of 100% job security everywhere else, as a driver I feel like one wrong move and your out. I know honesty is a huge deal but you can't just get one strike unless it's stealing.

I can't believe he didn't get a warning letter if this was the first false sheeting offense. What happened to progressive discipline? There should only be certain things that get you fired on first offense like stealing. My center has had guys falsely sheet NDA (scan>drive>deliver) after the $25m lawsuit and just get a letter. That's now the worse sheeting offense and no firing even after multiple PCM warnings on the subject.

This is the type of sheeting "error" usually ignored. There has to be something else to this. Who knows.

This job is amazing. Union and yet more ways to get fired than any job I've ever seen. I've always had the sense of 100% job security everywhere else, as a driver I feel like one wrong move and your out. I know honestly is a huge deal but you can't just get one strike unless it's stealing.
Cardinal sin. Dishonesty.
That's why. If it was late or missed,different story.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This job is amazing. Union and yet more ways to get fired than any job I've ever seen. I've always had the sense of 100% job security everywhere else, as a driver I feel like one wrong move and your out. I know honestly is a huge deal but you can't just get one strike unless it's stealing.
Uh they can only fire on first offense for certain things.

Dishonesty being one of those.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
My husband has been with ups for three years now and is/was a temporary cover driver. He was recently discharged for dishonesty. He sheeted up packages while waiting at his letter box rather than at the actual address when no one was home to send back dish network boxes. He knows what he did was wrong, and only defense was that he was trying to save some time. He has no previous disciplinary actions against him.

He went to the local hearing and admitted he did wrong and was trying to save time. Apologized, etc. Now it is going to a regional panel. Any advice or enlightenment for us?

We have two year old twins and it's taken a pretty big toll on our savings to pay bills while he's been out of work, plus the expenses for traveling to the hearing. Hoping he won't be going for nothing.

Jes..your husband will more than likely get his job back and he will be brought back before it goes to panel with time served no back pay.

The private conversation you need to have with your husband (do not post it here) is what kind of activities he has gotten himself into at work, usually its more than just sheeting call tags in a different location that brings the termination.

In your conversation with him please remind him he is the employee and he needs to work as instructed he does not need to be the employee of the quarter upon his return but it will go a long way with the management team if he is just a regular employee.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm confused on this....was this case heard locally.....and at the state level....now going to the JAC....arbitration???
She said local hearing, now it's going to the regional panel???

Where is he from, what region, what local???
What supplemental contracts is he under?
What type of panel/arbitration system does this area use?
We do need this information to give "real advice", don't we???

Did I miss this prudent info as I perused the thread?

I'm willing to bet Dave(UpstateNYUPSer) is at least half wrong, either way, as usual.

@jes13r, mark my words, we need more info to give you solid advice, and even then, be careful.
The best posts will give you questions to ask, but in the meantime, learn your husbands contract from the back to front.

jes13r

All of you are drivers and obviously know more than I do about the job. But my dad has been with ups for 17 years now and he swears that driving isn't as good as it's cracked up to be. BUT....this was our livelihood. I'm a stay at home mom, he was our only income (toddler daycare prices are ridiculous-especially for twins--can't plan everything obviously)...our sole income and it was thrown away over a stupid mistake that may or may not have saved 2-3 minutes?

I stand behind my husband for obvious reasons....but I was/am furious with his mistake. I am in NO way defending what he did--on the flip side, I do know that the call tags are what he did wrong and all he did wrong (back to the dad who works at the center too.)

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
It's ashame this has what this job has come to. Especially after all those years that wanted us to lie.

I agree 100%. And the company expects it's drivers to change an engrained behavior on a days notice.

One thing that comes to mind is seatbelts as they relate to telematics.

Occasionally when he is in a mood, the center manager will call in some of the old timers for their 8 seatbelt infractions totaling a whopping 0.06 miles. For years the company taught these guys to start the truck, buckle the belt and get rolling all in one motion. Now they expect them - one of which in my center has 31+ years on road - to forget that training overnight? Hell, I still find myself doing it sometimes and I'm only 12 years on road.

All of you are drivers and obviously know more than I do about the job. But my dad has been with ups for 17 years now and he swears that driving isn't as good as it's cracked up to be. BUT....this was our livelihood. I'm a stay at home mom, he was our only income (toddler daycare prices are ridiculous-especially for twins--can't plan everything obviously)...our sole income and it was thrown away over a stupid mistake that may or may not have saved 2-3 minutes?

I stand behind my husband for obvious reasons....but I was/am furious with his mistake. I am in NO way defending what he did--on the flip side, I do know that the call tags are what he did wrong and all he did wrong (back to the dad who works at the center too.)
Not being rude but,so he says.

I agree 100%. And the company expects it's drivers to change an engrained behavior on a days notice.

Occasionally when he is in a mood, the center manager will call in some of the old timers for their 8 seatbelt infractions totaling a whopping 0.06 miles. For years the company taught these guys to start the truck, buckle the belt and get rolling all in one motion. Now they expect them - one of which in my center has 31+ years on road - to forget that training overnight? Hell, I still find myself doing it sometimes and I'm only 12 years on road.
It's a freaking circus show anymore.

jes13r

I'm confused on this....was this case heard locally.....and at the state level....now going to the JAC....arbitration???
She said local hearing, now it's going to the regional panel???

Where is he from, what region, what local???
What supplemental contracts is he under?
What type of panel/arbitration system does this area use?
We do need this information to give "real advice", don't we???

Did I miss this prudent info as I perused the thread?

I'm willing to bet Dave(UpstateNYUPSer) is at least half wrong, either way, as usual.

@jes13r, mark my words, we need more info to give you solid advice, and even then, be careful.
The best posts will give you questions to ask, but in the meantime, learn your husbands contract from the back to front.

Sorry...I'm not sure of the exact lingo. He had the meeting with a ups rep and a union rep at the center he works. The ups rep said that he didn't have authority to flat make this go away because it has been a big problem in this area, but he was going to recommend to his superior to make it go away. That didn't happen, so now he has a hearing in San Antonio in two weeks. He is in the southern region.

JackStraw

This is something so petty that just requires a " Hey don't do it again". I'm sure his management team never does anything dishonest either.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Occasionally when he is in a mood, the center manager will call in some of the old timers for their 8 seatbelt infractions totaling a whopping 0.06 miles. For years the company taught these guys to start the truck, buckle the belt and get rolling all in one motion. Now they expect them - one of which in my center has 31+ years on road - to forget that training overnight? Hell, I still find himself doing it sometimes and I'm only 12 years on road.
The methods are not full-proof and all encompassing.
They are an outline of valid suggestions.
Anybody who thinks that anyone can perform completely within 340+ perimeters, for 8-12 hours on a given day, is disillusion.
This job has far too many variables to expect this from any driver.
We, as a union, have to protect this notion.

trickpony1

If he does actually go to panel, they may "ice" him by continually postponing his case until the last minute. This is designed to torment him. I've seen it.

They may, after "icing" him for three days, settle it in the hallway so it doesn't appear on the record.

Take the offer of reinstatement with no back pay.

This event will forever mold your and his thoughts and opinions of the company.

From this point forward DO NOT do the company any favors and cover your A##.