I am going to apply for UPS at the end of the month.

BrownNinjaz

Yeah, the recruiter said she'll call me or e-mail me at the end of the month. I am glad that Chelmsford haveEarnandLearnProgram. That means I won't need financial aids? I am taking 3-4 classes.. it might cost a lot >_>

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Yeah, the recruiter said she'll call me or e-mail me at the end of the month. I am glad that Chelmsford haveEarnandLearnProgram. That means I won't need financial aids? I am taking 3-4 classes.. it might cost a lot >_>

I agree with Upstate, you should still apply for aid.
Are you a full-time student paying tuition and room and board? Or just pay for whatever classes you take?

BrownNinjaz

I agree with Upstate, you should still apply for aid.
Are you a full-time student paying tuition and room and board? Or just pay for whatever classes you take?

I am a part-time student and financial aids is helping me. I am considering to be a full-time student if UPS hires me. ^^ <-- here it is again :P <-- and that.

BrownNinjaz

Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 Total

$3,975.00

That's how much they gave me for Fall 2009 and Spring 2010
Also, they gave me a butcher of $325.. and I only spent $100, so they gave me a check of $225. :biting:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
OK. :) We'll see what will be available at the end of the month. :) The recruiter is going to call me to apply.
But I want to know this..
which shift has the lesser hours? Just wondering ^_^

Hey Lugo. Maybe I can give you some information here.

The most hours you will recieve initially will probably be on the preload shift as a new-hire.

The day shift is impossible to get onto. The twilight is difficult, though they may eventually start hiring again. Midnight occasionally has openings, as well as the preload.

Having said that, the preload is where you can get the most hours because you will be starting around 4am and leaving when the trucks go out. This is at the earliest 8am or so, and the "wrap up" is 8:30ish. You should get at least 4 hours on the Chelmsford preload.

However, on the twilight and midnight if you were to get "in", you will probably be sent home after 3.5 hours every night and you will probably be intimidated/coerced into leaving before 3.5 hours.

That is the work environment at UPS - management is extremely numbers orientated and they will do whatever it is to break any contractual obligation to get ahead.

My opinion: you will work harder on the twilight or midnight sort than preload. You will be a loader on the twi, meaning you will be loading the long trailers. This is a difficult and thankless job, nevermind dirty and sometimes disgusting. You get slammed with boxes constantly for 3.5 hours.

However, preloading is not quite as bad to me. You will be loading the brown trucks, and the boxes do not come from conveyers (which is very difficult as a loader because you have no control over the pace of the flow). The packages are in cages which you empty and then load into the cars.

As far as the hours, if you want to work evenings/nights then the twi or mid is better. However if you are an early morning person, preload is definitly the best option. You will be out of work at 8 or 8:30 most days and have the whole day ahead of you.

BrownNinjaz

Hey Lugo. Maybe I can give you some information here.

The most hours you will recieve initially will probably be on the preload shift as a new-hire.

The day shift is impossible to get onto. The twilight is difficult, though they may eventually start hiring again. Midnight occasionally has openings, as well as the preload.

Having said that, the preload is where you can get the most hours because you will be starting around 4am and leaving when the trucks go out. This is at the earliest 8am or so, and the "wrap up" is 8:30ish. You should get at least 4 hours on the Chelmsford preload.

However, on the twilight and midnight if you were to get "in", you will probably be sent home after 3.5 hours every night and you will probably be intimidated/coerced into leaving before 3.5 hours.

That is the work environment at UPS - management is extremely numbers orientated and they will do whatever it is to break any contractual obligation to get ahead.

My opinion: you will work harder on the twilight or midnight sort than preload. You will be a loader on the twi, meaning you will be loading the long trailers. This is a difficult and thankless job, nevermind dirty and sometimes disgusting. You get slammed with boxes constantly for 3.5 hours.

However, preloading is not quite as bad to me. You will be loading the brown trucks, and the boxes do not come from conveyers (which is very difficult as a loader because you have no control over the pace of the flow). The packages are in cages which you empty and then load into the cars.

As far as the hours, if you want to work evenings/nights then the twi or mid is better. However if you are an early morning person, preload is definitly the best option. You will be out of work at 8 or 8:30 most days and have the whole day ahead of you.

You work at Chelmsford? You live in NH so I am sure you do. Thanks! I will go for preload, 4 hours is fine.
How much will I get per hour? $8.50, right?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
You work at Chelmsford? You live in NH so I am sure you do. Thanks! I will go for preload, 4 hours is fine.
How much will I get per hour? $8.50, right?

Yeah I have worked in Norwood, Chelmsford and Watertown buildings, total of 9 years. I work full-time at UPS.

Start rate for preloading is $9.50/hr, $10.50/hr after 90 days and $11/hr after 1 year. However, $8.50/hr to start for loading and unloading which you would probably get on the other shifts. A small perk for the preload.

BrownNinjaz

Yeah I have worked in Norwood, Chelmsford and Watertown buildings, total of 9 years. I work full-time at UPS.

Start rate for preloading is $9.50/hr, $10.50/hr after 90 days and $11/hr after 1 year. However, $8.50/hr to start for loading and unloading which you would probably get on the other shifts. A small perk for the preload.

Not bad! I am doing good in Math.. so I will probably do fine. lol I am doing bad in algebra but I am passing. :D