I am paid fairly for the work I do...

It will be fine

Yes, all years where you worked at least 1000 hrs are used.
Thanks for breaking it down Van.
It sounds like a pretty crappy "pension." If you're only getting 1% interest on it that's not even keeping up with inflation. You'd be much better off just getting that money and investing it yourself. It's not really a benefit, just something for PR to pretend fedex offers a pension. FedEx is definitely making more than 1% on all that money and not giving anything back. What a croc.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I have good friends in another country who have been trying to talk me into moving there for years. The older I get, the more I think about it. I could live pretty well there, and fly back to the US every few months to see my kids. It's a Third World country though, so that makes me hesitate some.
should be okay....Look at it this way - you've been working for a third rate company all these years, so living in a third world country should be no big deal.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
should be okay....Look at it this way - you've been working for a third rate company all these years, so living in a third world country should be no big deal.

I don't yet know if I'm willing to live without all the comforts of home. Although, I could hire a maid for next to nothing, and never have to clean again. Lol.

Third World country means Third World medicine, not as many choices in stores, corruption as an accepted practice, etc.

Goldilocks

I don't yet know if I'm willing to live without all the comforts of home. Although, I could hire a maid for next to nothing, and never have to clean again. Lol.

Third World country means Third World medicine, not as many choices in stores, corruption as an accepted practice, etc.

You could hire a maid that looks like your Avatar, or a Butler that resembles MT3!! LOL

vantexan

Not exactly. Most countries in Latin America have at least one good hospital, up to U.S. standards. In Managua, Nicaragua there's the Vivian Pellas hospital, accredited by the AMA and affiliated with Johns Hopkins in Boston. Most doctors there speak English and were trained in either the U.S. or Europe. You can can pay them about $70 a month if I remember right to handle anything but the most serious operations.

What comforts would you miss? There are multiplex theaters in most cities playing American movies in English with Spanish subtitles. Many larger cities have quality restaurants of international cuisine. There are malls too. It varies from country to country but most have high poverty. But not all are impoverished and you can live in a nice to luxurious neighborhood if you can cover it. I know people in Nicaragua who are renting very liveable 3 bedroom 2 bath homes in nice neighborhoods for $200-$250 a month. The single biggest problem these days is in many of the popular countries like Costa Rica, Panama, and Ecuador prices have risen dramatically in areas with large numbers of expats. Locals are cashing in. When I started looking at this 20 years ago you could live comfortably in many of these cities for $500 a month. But compared to the U.S. it's still very affordable.

vantexan

Thanks for breaking it down Van.
It sounds like a pretty crappy "pension." If you're only getting 1% interest on it that's not even keeping up with inflation. You'd be much better off just getting that money and investing it yourself. It's not really a benefit, just something for PR to pretend fedex offers a pension. FedEx is definitely making more than 1% on all that money and not giving anything back. What a croc.
It's actually 1% per quarter, or a little over 4% a year with compounding.

DontThrowPackages

Don't be brainwashed by the touts for this country. India and Thailand have some hospitals where quality care can be had. Thailand doesn't sound bad but that flight back to the states to visit family and old friends...:bloodshot:

jdoff

Found this site before I began my job at express as a courier because I wanted to see what I was getting into. I have to admit I saw a lot of negativity about FedEx but I wanted to make it work because like all fools on the outside looking in I thought, FedEx billion dollar company, has it's name on everything, that's gotta be a great company to work for right?! Within my first week on the job I knew I had probably made a huge mistake. All the couriers did was bitch and complain about management and the company. It didn't take long to realize how miserable the station was. During my ride a longs with couriers at least 2 of them told me to start looking for a new job, I was in shock. Well me being naive and ignorant I continued along trying to be positive, within 5 months I was on the verge of getting fired. So instead of waiting around for the inevitable I quit. The whole experience went from dream job to a nightmare. That being said virtually everyone that worked there transferred from a different station and had positive things to say about where they had been. I think it was just this particular station but continuing to read these forums it sounds like this is going on in a lot of places.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Found this site before I began my job at express as a courier because I wanted to see what I was getting into. I have to admit I saw a lot of negativity about FedEx but I wanted to make it work because like all fools on the outside looking in I thought, FedEx billion dollar company, has it's name on everything, that's gotta be a great company to work for right?! Within my first week on the job I knew I had probably made a huge mistake. All the couriers did was bitch and complain about management and the company. It didn't take long to realize how miserable the station was. During my ride a longs with couriers at least 2 of them told me to start looking for a new job, I was in shock. Well me being naive and ignorant I continued along trying to be positive, within 5 months I was on the verge of getting fired. So instead of waiting around for the inevitable I quit. The whole experience went from dream job to a nightmare. That being said virtually everyone that worked there transferred from a different station and had positive things to say about where they had been. I think it was just this particular station but continuing to read these forums it sounds like this is going on in a lot of places.

It's everywhere. Leaving was the smartest thing you could do.

Serf

I have good friends in another country who have been trying to talk me into moving there for years. The older I get, the more I think about it. I could live pretty well there, and fly back to the US every few months to see my kids. It's a Third World country though, so that makes me hesitate some.
I would say Poland is a solid "2nd world country." With descent medical and transpo. How third world are we talking?!