I have a question on proper procedure for wine delivery

RustyPMcG

Well, I learned some interesting points and I didn't know Mass. does not allow alcohol deliveries. I will bet that there are a lot of concealed bottles being delivered especially around the holidays.

You are correct.

Also, only a licensed wine dealer can ship wine in the first place. There is no consumer-to-consumer wine shipping allowed. You cannot buy wine as a gift, and head off to The UPS Store to ship it to your friend.

Some The UPS Stores, but only a minority of TUPSSs, have signed an extra agreement with UPS that allows them to be the shipper of record if their customer is a licensed wine dealer. The store has to be in one of the states where it's allowed in the first place. Then the store has to get a copy of the dealer's license. Each shipment must be logged, and a monthly report (even if no shipments were made that month) must be filed, and that report must show each shipment, and indicate who the licensed shipper was.

The licensed dealer is still responsible for knowing whether or not wine can be shipped to a specific destination, but the store staff is responsible for ensuring that Adult Signature Required is the chosen option, and that the proper sticker is applied to the package.

While I'm sure there are bottles that are slipped through without our knowledge, I don't think I'm paranoid to think that there might be someone out there testing us, too. Seldom does a two week period go by without someone telling me that their is wine in the box they want to ship, or even asking me to pack a wine bottle for me. Most people either act shocked when I tell them they can't ship it, or they get angry. But occasionally someone will listen to my speech, then thank me, and leave.

On a related topic, we're also not allowed to ship firearms, amunition or even gun parts. We're also not allowed to receive those items for our customers, either. Since we're not the originating party, the consignee, or the carrier, if we handle the package we'd be breaking the chain of custody.

On the other hand, even if we don't have the wine shipping rider to our franchise agreement, we are allowed to take drop-offs of wine from licensed dealers shipping under their own shipper number. We are suposed to ensure that the wine sticker is on the package, but we aren't allowed to put on a sticker from the store stock of sticker if it's missing. The dealer needs to take it back, and apply a sticker from their own stock.

JonFrum

There are times when an illegal wine shipment is discovered and held for the shipper to retrieve. If the shipper is in, say, California and declines to stop by and pick it up, a supervisor is ordered to pour the entire shipment down the drain, no matter how expensive the wine. The wine can't be used for any purpose. What a waste. Welcome to Massachusetts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are correct.

Also, only a licensed wine dealer can ship wine in the first place. There is no consumer-to-consumer wine shipping allowed. You cannot buy wine as a gift, and head off to The UPS Store to ship it to your friend.

Some The UPS Stores, but only a minority of TUPSSs, have signed an extra agreement with UPS that allows them to be the shipper of record if their customer is a licensed wine dealer. The store has to be in one of the states where it's allowed in the first place. Then the store has to get a copy of the dealer's license. Each shipment must be logged, and a monthly report (even if no shipments were made that month) must be filed, and that report must show each shipment, and indicate who the licensed shipper was.

The licensed dealer is still responsible for knowing whether or not wine can be shipped to a specific destination, but the store staff is responsible for ensuring that Adult Signature Required is the chosen option, and that the proper sticker is applied to the package.

While I'm sure there are bottles that are slipped through without our knowledge, I don't think I'm paranoid to think that there might be someone out there testing us, too. Seldom does a two week period go by without someone telling me that their is wine in the box they want to ship, or even asking me to pack a wine bottle for me. Most people either act shocked when I tell them they can't ship it, or they get angry. But occasionally someone will listen to my speech, then thank me, and leave.

On a related topic, we're also not allowed to ship firearms, amunition or even gun parts. We're also not allowed to receive those items for our customers, either. Since we're not the originating party, the consignee, or the carrier, if we handle the package we'd be breaking the chain of custody.

On the other hand, even if we don't have the wine shipping rider to our franchise agreement, we are allowed to take drop-offs of wine from licensed dealers shipping under their own shipper number. We are suposed to ensure that the wine sticker is on the package, but we aren't allowed to put on a sticker from the store stock of sticker if it's missing. The dealer needs to take it back, and apply a sticker from their own stock.

Brevity can be your friend.

I pick up at a former MBE franchise and cannot tell you how many "concealed" shipments of wine I have discovered by the tell-tale noise made by bottles hitting each other. They also know they cannot re-use booze boxes so they use blank labels to cover up any booze markings.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here is the scenario - My next door neighbor had some wine shipped which required an adult signature upon delivery. An emergency came up and they asked me what to do. I told them to put a note on the door and tell the driver to bring it to me for a signature.

A utility driver had the route and told me that he could not indirect the wine to me ??

I have never had a problem with this in the past? Has anything changed or was I dealing with a driver who was confused about the process?

I want to know the proper procedure so I can make sure a delivery is secured in the future.

Fortunately, I had the key to their residence and was able to secure the delivery by opening the front door to my neighbor's residence.

I tried looking this up in other threads but could not find a direct answer.

Your utility driver is 100% correct. Any adult signature CANNOT be indirected.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lifer asked for the proper procedure for wine deliveries and unfortunately that is not it.

Now, I would be a liar if I said that I never did what you described. The wine was delivered, signed for and put in the house. No left at or indirect which would/could raise flags.

You are also correct. Technically, we are allowed to only have the receiver sign for it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You are correct.

You mean 'we' as in UPS stores? Shipping guns, gun parts or ammo is the same as wine. Only authorized dealers are allowed to ship.

RustyPMcG

You mean 'we' as in UPS stores? Shipping guns, gun parts or ammo is the same as wine. Only authorized dealers are allowed to ship.

Not just from, but to as well, with only the carrier (UPS) in between. No 3rd parties like The UPS Store. Far more restrictive than wine shipping.

RustyPMcG

I pick up at a former MBE franchise and cannot tell you how many "concealed" shipments of wine I have discovered by the tell-tale noise made by bottles hitting each other. They also know they cannot re-use booze boxes so they use blank labels to cover up any booze markings.

I suspect that only scratches the surface. One wine bottle doesn't make any noise hitting itself.

On the other hand, there are a number of nutritional supliments that are packaged to look like wine, and you have to look carefully to tell whether they're wine or not. But if the bottles are clanking against each other, we're going to refuse the shipment no matter what the liquid in them is unless they repack it or have us repack it. Each clank is one step closer to a broken bottle.

browndevil

I suspect that only scratches the surface. One wine bottle doesn't make any noise hitting itself.

On the other hand, there are a number of nutritional supliments that are packaged to look like wine, and you have to look carefully to tell whether they're wine or not. But if the bottles are clanking against each other, we're going to refuse the shipment no matter what the liquid in them is unless they repack it or have us repack it. Each clank is one step closer to a broken bottle.

Uh, I consider wine a nutritional supplement :) just saying

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am called "the shaker" as I shake each and every package that I pick up to ensure proper packing.

UPS Lifer

It's all about common sense to me. If a driver uses common sense judgement in the course of his/her daily job, I would be more apt to approach the scenario as a training situation rather than a discipline situation. When I managed package centers we were using DIAD 1 and 2. We did not have the prompts that are more readily available today. Last that I remember, the shipper had to indicate that an indirect was not acceptable. But wine is a regulated good, just like tabacco, firearms and haz-mat. Each state regulates these commodities the way they see fit. All of those commodities are federally regulated as well. This makes UPS job very tough. Anyway, I am glad to be more informed of the indirect situation. I get a lot of questions about various procedures, processes as well as services & products offered and the last thing I want to do is give out bad info.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I am called "the shaker" as I shake each and every package that I pick up to ensure proper packing.
I bet that's not the only thing you're called, but I digress......

Lifer, the adult signature required isn't just for wine. Controlled pharmacuetical's are also shipped this way, and must be delivered to an over 21 year old (notice I didn't say adult) at the address on the pkg. If the customer is not home, the pkg must be brought back and handed to the night supe to be put away for delivery attempt the next day. The shipper pays extra money for this service. It doesn't matter if the driver is a cover driver or regular route driver, same rules apply.

In your scenario, if you had the key, opened the door and signed, leaving the pkg inside the house, I wouldn't have a problem with that, though I would ask you for I.D., just to break your chops.:wink2:

UPS Lifer

I bet that's not the only thing you're called, but I digress......

Lifer, the adult signature required isn't just for wine. Controlled pharmacuetical's are also shipped this way, and must be delivered to an over 21 year old (notice I didn't say adult) at the address on the pkg. If the customer is not home, the pkg must be brought back and handed to the night supe to be put away for delivery attempt the next day. The shipper pays extra money for this service. It doesn't matter if the driver is a cover driver or regular route driver, same rules apply.

In your scenario, if you had the key, opened the door and signed, leaving the pkg inside the house, I wouldn't have a problem with that, though I would ask you for I.D., just to break your chops.:wink2:

LOL about breaking my chops! - My wife told the driver that I was a retired manager and the driver just looked at me like how come you don't know this?

BTW - Another thing I hate to admit (because I lost track of this procedure)..... I was the Regulated Goods Manager & Compliance Co-ordinator for the District. Our district was as big as some of the regions for certified air handler's (approx. 3200 air-handlers) so my responsibilities included all regulated goods such as fire arms, drugs, wine and alcohol as well as haz-mat... but most of my time was spent with haz-mat. My last two years the federal regulations had a lot of changes and training and follow-up was huge. So I was working more with the pick-up, hub and air processes, along with shipper and customer center compliance issues and I was only overseeing the package processes. UPS biggest safety & compliance concerns deal with the airline and FAA.

Basically - I should have known the answer to the indirect (or lack of) procedure!

Mr Fedex

Banned
So then why are they telling us that we have to deliver the packages in the order they are listed in the diad? If we are too stupid to figure out the shortest and best way to deliver our route, then how are we ever going to be smart enough to be allowed or empowered to make any decisions?

Unless they hire some more IE guys to study how me make decisions. I figure by the time I retire UPS will have 4 IE guys and two full time sups just for me and my route. And the support personel needed to keep everything running.