I have a question on proper procedure for wine delivery

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So then why are they telling us that we have to deliver the packages in the order they are listed in the diad? If we are too stupid to figure out the shortest and best way to deliver our route, then how are we ever going to be smart enough to be allowed or empowered to make any decisions?

Unless they hire some more IE guys to study how me make decisions. I figure by the time I retire UPS will have 4 IE guys and two full time sups just for me and my route. And the support personel needed to keep everything running.
The order in the DIAD should be the correct delivery order. If this is not the case, talk to your dispatch supe and have it corrected.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Stug what have you been smoking? Did you visit the Medical Marijuana Growers thread before you posted here?:wink2:
Nah, I'm just talking about what I did. I actually had them reconfigure the route so that it starts from where I end up with my last NDA. They hemmed and hawed about it for a bit, but they did what I asked, and now instead of doing my last NDA and driving about 4 miles to start the route, I start right where I am.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
How come A8 over 21 cannot be indirected yet we can bring them back and they can be address corrected to a business where any schmuck can sign for them?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How come A8 over 21 cannot be indirected yet we can bring them back and they can be address corrected to a business where any schmuck can sign for them?

As long as the schmuck is over 21.

An address correction is not the same as an indirect.

I have a couple of wine of the month people who I have asked and they have changed the delivery address to their business as they are never home.

UPS Lifer

As long as the schmuck is over 21.

An address correction is not the same as an indirect.

I have a couple of wine of the month people who I have asked and they have changed the delivery address to their business as they are never home.

Remember it has been a long time and especially in the Northeast this might apply. What if the address correction is to another state? What if that state does has restrictions on alcohol (or other restricted commodities) ??

over9five

Staff member
Three boxes of wine I had today for a resi. No signature required sticker, regular "03" 1Z. Sneaky Upstate NY wine shipper...
36 lbs each, that's a lotta wine!

Non Delivery, Other, Security-Alcohol.

over9five

Staff member
How'd you know it was alcohol?

I guess I could kinda feel the liquid moving. And when I looked at the return address, it was a winery.

What do you guys think? Some drivers here say just deliver the darn boxes. I could have just dropped them at the door.... How do I know what's in it, and why should I care?

But it's ILLEGAL here. I myself can't do that.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Yup, the fragile sticker. Also a good hint.
It could be non-alcoholic beverage that you're not delivering.

faq_questionmark.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have opened each of them to see if it was alcohol or non-alcohol. If they were alcohol I would have done what Over did and, in addition, I would have made a copy of the label to give to BD so that they could follow up with the BD in that area to follow up with that shipper to educate them in proper shipping procedures for wine. If they were non-alcoholic I would have safely DR'd them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would have opened each of them to see if it was alcohol or non-alcohol.

I don't know if this is such a good idea; would never expect it from you, but I could be wrong.

If opening one of them saved from me from DRing wine I most certainly would. The problem with simply going by the return label is that vineyards ship out non-alcoholic items as well. I don't open packages arbitrarily.

upsgrunt

I was always told "never", it's not your job and you are just inviting trouble. It may be different at your center. I don't open packages period!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was always told "never", it's not your job and you are just inviting trouble. It may be different at your center.

OK--fair enough.

Would you have delivered them based on the fact that it was not A8 and not marked as wine? Or would you have gone by the return label and did as Over did, which I am not saying is wrong based upon the info that he had?

Over, if you could PM me that picture or just the shipper number and return label information I will get with our BD people here so that they can get with the BD people that services that shipper so that we can educate them. Dave.