I have some questions, advice, etc..

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I will say at my daytime job, family healthcare would cost me 130ish a week, whereas i get it free at UPS. It makes a difference.

You also have to account for the chance at going driving if that interest you to. Of course that would be down the road and is based on seniority.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
That's the only reason I'm doing this job. I have a year until benefits kick in (it's 18 mo. for dependents to get on UPS benefits) but when they do, they'll save me about $800(!)/mo. in premiums I'm currently paying at my full time day job for a family of 4. Add in the copays/deductibles/out-of-pocket and it comes to about $15k or more every year for healthcare. So once I can move my family to the UPS plan, it'll be an instant $15k raise for me. Not to mention it's nice to have the extra cash, even if it's not that much right now.

When I first started we got healthcare after 30 days and the pay was 8.50. The incentive was the healthcare not the pay. Now I know the people that are 18-25 years old think their invincible and won't need it. However it is worth it in the long run and it is nice to have. Also when I first started I didn't have a rent payment so I put a lot into the 401k when that option came available. Also the stock option that ups gives you. Don't get me wrong ups can be a crappy job at times, you do need thick skin. So it isn't for everyone.

BrownBrokeDown

That's the only reason I'm doing this job. I have a year until benefits kick in (it's 18 mo. for dependents to get on UPS benefits) but when they do, they'll save me about $800(!)/mo. in premiums I'm currently paying at my full time day job for a family of 4. Add in the copays/deductibles/out-of-pocket and it comes to about $15k or more every year for healthcare. So once I can move my family to the UPS plan, it'll be an instant $15k raise for me. Not to mention it's nice to have the extra cash, even if it's not that much right now.
Its not 18 months anymore last contract changed it to 1 yr for dependents too

Nike

Prolly the best part time job you could ask for. Free healthcare, paid time off, and the opportunity pick up extra hours by working other operations ie preload, local, helper etc. Stick it out, dont assume the only careers here are driver/manager. Ive seen good people move on to finance, ups security, sales and legal. All high paying jobs

AllOnTheHorses

Not sure how it is other places, but...

I was hired as a loader. $11/hr to start. But we were getting out at like 9 a.m. every day, which allowed me virtually no time to get home and out to the full time job. So I requested to move to be on the sort aisle, since the primary gets out before 8 a.m. during non-peak.

I retained the $11/hr since I was trained and worked as a loader for a few months, but the sorters, I believe, start at the $10.10/hr.

"Pickoff" sounds like a seasonal job, but I'm not positive here. We don't have any positions called that; not regular year-round positions, anyway.

Here in southern region.. pickoff is the guy that sorts and sends packages to individual slide drops. I think it is just a regional difference in name only. It's not seasonal here.. it's a permanent part-time position during preload.

nj2015

Here in southern region.. pickoff is the guy that sorts and sends packages to individual slide drops. I think it is just a regional difference in name only. It's not seasonal here.. it's a permanent part-time position during preload.
Got it. Yeah, we just call it sorter here. Thx.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
then stick it out.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
i was gonna ask age and if you had any children until i read post #20.

for all you new hires without children, run away from this place. get in your car and travel around the good ol USA for a couple years. then go over to Europe and do the same. see the pyramids, the taj mahol , stonehedge, travel thru south east asia, go motorcycling tripping, take the green tortoise bus tours, hitch-hike with a copy of On The Road or Travels With Charley. take drugs in Amsterdam, don't miss Alaska or Hawaii , or 100 other places before being tied down to this company.

i did this and a lot more until finally being sentenced to 25 years here at age 35.

i DONT REGRET a minute of being the travel bum I was for over 17 years before i settled down.

i guess i'll never understand why young people want to get stuck in this job when they only have to take care of themselves.

browner89

i guess i'll never understand why young people want to get stuck in this job when they only have to take care of themselves.

There is nothing wrong with living, not even close to a problem, but some are mature beyond their years and wants to prepare ahead of time. I'm 26 now, I wish I was as close to "being ready" 6 years ago as I am now. I'm about to start Cover driving, my center is in desperate need of drivers non-peak, i will basically be a FT driver without a route.

If you're young and physically fit and don't hate the idea of working, then this job is perfect, I averaged a 3.9 GPA in HS but I NEVER wanted to go to college. Not my thing.

College simply isn't required these days. So many options.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

Some people don't want to have to work into their 60's. Most hourly people aren't capable of working here at that age.

I started at 18, FT at 21. I'll be done 3 weeks before I turn 52.

Worked with a girl who was 18/21 like me only she isn't married and doesn't have kids like I do. She recently transferred to 22.3 where she now collects $26 an hour to work preload and sweep out trailers. She too will be retired in her early 50's only she'll be much more wealthier than I'll be. Damn kids.

oldandcrabby

Yes that is what my husband did in 2006 start PT and worked a FT at the same time.