I know its is a waste of time......

Cementups

Box Monkey
I deliver the NDA to PetSmart and was told that the shippers add something to the water that "knocks out" the fish so that they are not traumatized while in transit.

This is somewhat correct. What they do is actually over-oxenginate the water which makes them pass out. Once they are released into a holding tank with normal oxygen they return to normal like nothing ever happened.

I used to deliver cases of fish to a farm for their pond. They were just feeder fish but there would be 500 in a box that was maybe as big as 2 shoeboxes wrapped together. They're jammed in there shoulder to shoulder and then over-oxenginated to be able to make their journey. Drop them in the pond and within a few hours they are swimming around like nothing ever happened.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hey Bud, you are almost right. The pure O2 is not what sedates the fish, there are other chemicals added to the water that do that. The pure O2 is for the fish to be able to live. After all, they breathe, and give off carbon dioxide just like we do. And after 24-40 hours in a small bag, the O2 is about gone, and the bag stinks badly. Right off hand, I don't remember what those chemicals are, but I use clove oil for short term sedation. Mix a little clove oil with some EverClear. 90 proof so it will mix with water, and the fish go belly up in about 60 seconds. You can also use acetone, but I prefer not. Then you can handle, do surgery, what ever you need them calm for the next 5-20 minutes. Put back into fresh water, and they are back to normal in 60 seconds or so. The professional stuff though is very $$ and since I don't ship fish out, no need for me to have it.

That being said, any fish I sell goes into a bag with pure O2 so they will have plenty of air to breathe as it dissolves into the water as the CO2 gets released. But they stay just as active as they do in the tanks.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Hey Bud, you are almost right. The pure O2 is not what sedates the fish, there are other chemicals added to the water that do that. The pure O2 is for the fish to be able to live. After all, they breathe, and give off carbon dioxide just like we do. And after 24-40 hours in a small bag, the O2 is about gone, and the bag stinks badly. Right off hand, I don't remember what those chemicals are, but I use clove oil for short term sedation. Mix a little clove oil with some EverClear. 90 proof so it will mix with water, and the fish go belly up in about 60 seconds. You can also use acetone, but I prefer not. Then you can handle, do surgery, what ever you need them calm for the next 5-20 minutes. Put back into fresh water, and they are back to normal in 60 seconds or so. The professional stuff though is very $$ and since I don't ship fish out, no need for me to have it.

That being said, any fish I sell goes into a bag with pure O2 so they will have plenty of air to breathe as it dissolves into the water as the CO2 gets released. But they stay just as active as they do in the tanks.

Knowing+is+half.jpg

But does anyone ever pay attention to the big red arrows that say "this side up" on all four
sides of the box? Went to the center to pick up my NDA's, and every one of them was standing on end. Now, that's no problem if you get dry goods, but the boxes were marked live fish as well.

Now, you take a 28 inch long fish, place her into a 30 inch long box. The bag is 1/4 filled with water, the rest pure O2. So now this $1200 fish is either face down, with her mouth pressed firmly against the plastic bag so she cant breathe, or tail down, with her head out of the water so she cant breathe, and the weight against her tail is going to break her spine.......

What the hell is going on now days at UPS? Yall forget how to read??
Welcome back dannyboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Cement
I was reminded while I "pondered" the name of the fish narcotic, that O2 will cause a narcotic effect on fish. But only under controlled situations. Dissolved O2 in water is very temperature dependent, which means the warmer the water, the less O2 it CAN hold. But in a controlled environment, you can super saturate the water, and the fish will have the same reaction as the ones where they use the MS222 I believe it is called. So again, you were a lot closer than my first post credited. That is also why fish that are tropical are shipped in insulated containers with a cool pack, to keep the water cooler to allow more O2 to "dissolve" in the water.

This same phenomenon occurs during the summer when a lot of ponds warm up. And if they are shallow, its worse. If you see fish at the surface in the mornings with their mouths above the surface, 99% of the time they are gasping for air, not looking for food as so many pond owners think. That's why it is always important to keep water falls running overnight, its life support for the fish.

Back on subject, I know that part time loaders, and many drivers are not aware that for those 6 boxes, I paid almost $1200 bucks to get them here intact and alive. I don't know that this is too much to ask?

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Danny, the sad reality is, that under the present structure at ups, almost no one cares about anything beyond moving the boxes and clocking out.

If you were to return for a month, you would not even recognize your old company.

wilberforce15

Orientation arrows mean the same thing to me as "No conveyors. Hand-carry only."

That is, they mean nothing. Anything that has to stay pointed in one direction doesn't belong in the system. Period.

UPSGUY72

But does anyone ever pay attention to the big red arrows that say "this side up" on all four
sides of the box? Went to the center to pick up my NDA's, and every one of them was standing on end. Now, that's no problem if you get dry goods, but the boxes were marked live fish as well.

Now, you take a 28 inch long fish, place her into a 30 inch long box. The bag is 1/4 filled with water, the rest pure O2. So now this $1200 fish is either face down, with her mouth pressed firmly against the plastic bag so she cant breathe, or tail down, with her head out of the water so she cant breathe, and the weight against her tail is going to break her spine.......

What the hell is going on now days at UPS? Yall forget how to read??

That's why you use a bigger box so the fish can turn around. Those big red arrows are just like the Fragile stickers people put on boxes they mean nothing nothing. When I first started working at UPS a old timers said when your having a bad day it always get better after you drop a TV...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
That's why you use a bigger box so the fish can turn around. Those big red arrows are just like the Fragile stickers people put on boxes they mean nothing nothing. When I first started working at UPS a old timers said when your having a bad day it always get better after you drop a TV...
O man did those big ole 19 inch tvs explode or what!