I only scanned 103 packages on my first day...

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Today was my first day of actual work. From Mon-Thurs, I was in orientation class and today I was down with my trainer loading the trailers. My trainer was really cool and did a lot of work and taught me how to build walls and some good tips. He scanned, loaded as well...a lot more than me actually. He didnt want me loading anything at first, he just wanted me to pay attention.

At the end of the day, I only scanned 103, but the FT Suervisor told me I must scan 1000 packages a day to be doing really good. Obviously he told me it isnt gonna happen right away, but I have to work at it.

If I get used to it, will it be somewhat easy to get 1000 scans a day? Judging by my first day, it seems like it will be nearly impossible. Oh, and am I allowed to keep working during break time?

drewed

Shankman
imagine if you fill a trailer, there can be several thousand packages in it. itll be easy
take your break no worries, proffiency comes in time young one

govols019

You smell that?
I'll never forget my first day unloading. I climbed in a full 53' trailer and the sup said I should have it unloaded in XX minutes and I thought he was crazy.

Fnix

We all felt this way at one point. When I first started I thought it was impossible to unload a trailer in under 45 mins. Now I can do under 30 no problems. It becomes second nature.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Thats good. Hopefully when my 30 days are up, I can scan at least somewhere close to that. Thanks for the help guys.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Necer work through your paid break!

And it seems impossible right now, but you will get it and it will teach you a good strong work ethic that you will carry with you the rest of your life.

SoyFish

1000 packages will be easy to get after you've been there a little bit. LOL @ 103 on your first day, That is about 20 minutes worth of loading right there haha.

Don't work on your break there is no point. The building shuts down for the 10 minutes so it's not like anything is flowing.

jack4ever

UPS4Lifer
Never work through your paid break. That is your time.

Amen to that, there is no reason to be working during break, if you stay at UPS long enough you'll realize that numbers (ie # of scans, packages per hour, etc) are something that supervisors are required to care about, but they don't mean a thing to hourlies. Every time my supervisor starts talking about improving our numbers, I look at him like I don't know what he's talking about, and then say I never took a statistics class in college.

The contract says nothing about packages per hour, or number of scans per night. What it does say is:

Article 37

Section 1.

(a) The parties agree that the principle of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer's interest... The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee...
Now if you want to become a supervisor someday, you might try to impress them, otherwise I would just avoid making mistakes like misloading packages. The most important thing is to work safely, you should never injure yourself cause you want to impress someone. You don't need to be a superman, but you do need to do your fair share.

Bsullivan

It's a fair days work for a fair days pay. You don't have any numbers to reach it's just what supervisors go by. Just work safe and to the best of your ability!