I was termed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ups did the right thing here. I remember when ups used to be hard to get hired on. Their standards have slipped lately. You're definitely proof of that.

You're done at ups and rightfully so. This recording wasn't helpful to your case.

Time to grow up

bbsam

Staff member
I know it wasn't a court of law, but I couldn't help thinkingof the old addage, " A man acting as his own attorney has a fool for a client."

Even if a recording were legal, good luck finding an attorney to take on this hot mess.

bbsam

Staff member
And UPS has to take a "Zero Tolerance" approach to this crap. And it's not just UPS. Ashell, in the future, learn to bite your tongue on the job...or get used to being unemployed.

BrownBrokeDown

disclaimer first, I am not now and never have been a steward. I am not a lawyer. I do have an addiction for studying union cases in court. I however, do have management experience at other companies, and extensive harassment training at those companies. I listened figuring it would be worth a few laughs, however what i actually heard was disturbing. a few things.

1.) I believe you were totally within your rights to ask for the paper to be presented as the manager was asking leading questions. This will be the only positive.

2.)admitting the off-color joke, admitting it came from South park which put the joke into context, and the race of the person that it was referencing would be an automatic firing at almost any non-union job. And you would not be getting your job back.

3.)refusing to turn off the recorder to talk to the steward was stupid.

4.)imo, the recording is useless. Any court would uphold the firing based off of #2, imo.

5.)How dare you come on here talking :censored2: about the steward implying its a fix, when he specifically told you he would contact the BA about the case and the BA could deal with it if you would not turn off the recording.

6.) You are a terrible person. It is people like you that perpetuate the Southern stereotype. I am southern also. Come from an old redneck farming family. You deserve everything you got.

7.)If you don't actually learn from this lesson, this wont be the last time you are fired.

BUG, I wish i hadn't listened to it. Dont bother with it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

clean hairy

Too bad the recording did not start from the beginning.
I can only imagine at the begining being asked his name, and him asking "don't you know my name?"
Answering a question with a question without giving an answer was not very smart!

PrimeUPS

What racial programming did I receive? That guy I said that to is a D-bag. He put race on the table. I'm not sorry.

I haven't done 2000 hours in small sort. Probably over 500 down stairs loading. I thought a scab was just someone that crossed a strike line, closing the gap of the immediate wound.

So back to this hub manger that says its his job to the protect the harassment free environment UPS values. When he approached me with the paper, he asked me to read it. I refused. Over and over. He said,"...because you can't be a man." That is sexual degradation. Pretty sure I made a corporate complaint about this one. I have even had a female employee tell me he told her,"you should smile when you see me." That's cringy if you ask me. Pretty sure a corporate complaint got filed on that one.

Did you record him saying that? Or did you only start recording when the going got tough? Your recollection of events still doesn't pass the sniff test, clearly the meeting had been going on for a few minutes before you starting recording it; probably around the time you realized that it wasn't going well. Not when you walked in as you claimed.

For working at a major air hub, you're lucky they didn't taser you for that ID and let the TSA sort it out with you. Walked out by UPS security is getting off pretty easy.

Consensual and legal recording is best earned by recording the consent (from all present), which you did not do since the recording starts mid-meeting. The perpetual request by the Steward that you end recording would place the legality of the entire recording into question. That's called fruit of the poisonous tree. The problem with this is beyond that, Texas may be a one-party state, but the law only works in your favor if the parties have an expectation that the communications are subject to interception and not private (i.e. in public). A secured UPS facility is not public. A closed meeting regarding personnel matters within a secured facility is demonstrably less public. As a private company, UPS can rightfully limit activities that may be legal elsewhere: we make people shave and wear certain clothing! That said, many large UPS facilities outright prohibit the possession, thus the use, of devices that would be capable of recording. Many security entries post signs prohibiting such electronics and video/photo recording devices. I don't know what was posted, but I bet if you looked, you might be surprised at what contraband is banned in writing. It may not be enforced, but don't think for a second that if something necessitated it that they wouldn't start at a moments notice without hesitation. Being at an air hub likely compounds your problems in this matter.

You really believe the fix was in? Give me a break! They have much larger issues to worry about than squeezing you for a few bucks. The FT likely forgot to put it in. There's a process for that, it's called grieve it again.

Not in the union. Don't want to listen to the steward. Steward gives you the name of the BA to get more help and you're still apoplectic about the union??

Bags? All this over someone "taking" "your" bags?? I'm pretty sure the bags belong to the company. I'm pretty sure, that as a worker, she is fully in her right to take those bags. I mean, what did she do, run around the building with them and laugh while you chased after her? That's about the only thing that would remotely justify a "BUT BUT BUT SHE TOOK MY BAGS!!!!!!" As for your comments, wow, grow up. Work more, talk less. You'll find yourself in fewer conference rooms.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I think ups is too busy firing pregnant woman and people who don't want their safety violated by driving unsafe trucks. Maybe he will slip through the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.