Illegal to leave in mailbox

One thing that is missing in this old thread that is worth mentioning is that this is MY mailbox. I do not want anyone, UPS, FEDEX, or anyone else messing with it. I send and receive payments, contracts, etc. via the USPS and if I catch anyone fooling with MY mailbox then you can expect trouble.
Unfortunately it is not your mailbox. It is property of the usps.

View attachment 233145
Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
No. But that’s what they say. And why it is a federal offense to tamper with them and their content.
If I want to take my box down and get a new one there’s nothing the usps can say about it.... if I want to put cat stickers all over it the usps won’t be saying one word to me about it....if I want to take my mail and rip it into pieces and throw it back into the mailbox I can do that also.... the po thinks they can push me around I dont think so

If I want to take my box down and get a new one there’s nothing the usps can say about it.... if I want to put cat stickers all over it the usps won’t be saying one word to me about it....if I want to take my mail and rip it into pieces and throw it back into the mailbox I can do that also.... the po thinks they can push me around I dont think so
If you put a gram of weed in your mailbox on Sunday morning for your buddy to grab that afternoon you are committing a felony. If you leave it on your porch it’s not a crime.

john chesney

I posted on another thread that it was a federal offense to open another person's mailbox. The reason is because when one of my kids was a teen-ager, he and some friends went mailbox bashing and got caught. They were told they could have been prosecuted by the feds as it was a federal offense to mess with a mailbox. These were customer-owned individual mailboxes at the street.

We recently signed a new driver release certification and one of the last points on it said that no notices or packages are to be left in mailboxes as it is illegal.

I advise those of you using mailboxes to discontinue this practice, if it pisses off the mail carrier he will report you and you will be in big doo doo.
I never used a mailbox but I never heard of anyone arrested for it. What you in for “I used a mailbox “ said no one in the county

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
One thing that is missing in this old thread that is worth mentioning is that this is MY mailbox. I do not want anyone, UPS, FEDEX, or anyone else messing with it. I send and receive payments, contracts, etc. via the USPS and if I catch anyone fooling with MY mailbox then you can expect trouble.

Keep your walk and driveway shoveled there won’t be a problem

Actually the post office owns it.