Incandescent, CFLs, or LEDs

bluehdmc

Gee when I was a kid the dentist used to give us mercury and we'd roll it around on the floor. We'd break fluorescent bulbs in the dumpster to hear them pop. We used to burn black PVC pipe because it would make the neat zip sound when it dripped off.
I work in a gas station and we'd blow off brakes with an air hose, the auto parts store used to "arc" brake linings to the drum. (They'd grind the ends of the brake shoes, all asbestos then.) I think we had a popcorn ceiling in school.
It's a wonder I survived!
And of course we all drank out of the same water fountain.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Gee when I was a kid the dentist used to give us mercury and we'd roll it around on the floor. We'd break fluorescent bulbs in the dumpster to hear them pop. We used to burn black PVC pipe because it would make the neat zip sound when it dripped off.
I work in a gas station and we'd blow off brakes with an air hose, the auto parts store used to "arc" brake linings to the drum. (They'd grind the ends of the brake shoes, all asbestos then.) I think we had a popcorn ceiling in school.

I would ride my bike in the fog behind the mosquito sprayer truck. Maybe that is my problem ? One of my first jobs @ Bambergers (macys) was to dispose of florescent lamps . We would put them through a grinder into a drum with dust every where . No masks ,eye protection etc. I would go with my pop behind my uncles barn and burn off the insulation from scrap copper cable. Good stuff !

moreluck

golden ticket member
I carried mercury to school in an old prescription pill bottle. It was fun to play with at recess on the schoolyard.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would ride my bike in the fog behind the mosquito sprayer truck. Maybe that is my problem ? One of my first jobs @ Bambergers (macys) was to dispose of florescent lamps . We would put them through a grinder into a drum with dust every where . No masks ,eye protection etc. I would go with my pop behind my uncles barn and burn off the insulation from scrap copper cable. Good stuff !

We always made sure our windows were rolled DOWN at the drive-in so we could get lots of mosquito fog in the car.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Drive In.png
Later in life we rolled them up at the drive in so the fog inside would't escape

We always made sure our windows were rolled DOWN at the drive-in so we could get lots of mosquito fog in the car.[/quote]

upswife75

LED's are the way to go less wattage consumed,more controllable from a dimming stand point ( high and low trim) ,longer life 50 to 100 thousand hours and can match incandescent 2700 K color temperature to cast a warmer color.
Also LED RGB color changing sources are becoming more affordable Soon everyone will be able to change you lighting color by a simple controller at an affordable price. Maybe you feel blue today.
Check out all the freezers @ Target food stores is all led on a motion sensors that turn the light on as you approach or open the doors.)One thing to remember LED's love cold but they are sensative to heat and need heat sink in all their envelopes or inclosures.

LEDs are much easier on my eyes for reading. I will definitely be happy when the rgb changing ones become more affordable, from a photography point of view. I did have to stock up on incandescent bulbs for my reptiles, though, because I'd like to put off, for as long as possible, paying 8 times the amount for the same bulb simply because it says reptile on the packaging.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upswife75

The public might be better served with an affordable, simple and efficient way to heat water. Those instant-on heaters take nearly a lifetime to pay off economically.

We have a solar heater and rarely ever run out of hot water. Normally, the only time it happens is after tons of laundry, the dishwasher gets run, everyone in the house has showered and it's my daughter that runs it dry with her hour long showers, due to waist long hair that is nearly as thick as it is long.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Call me dumb, but what are LCD and CDL lamps?

Doesn't LCD=liquid crystal display and CDL=commercial driver's license?:confused2:

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My college buddy works for an environmental company that cleans up hazardous waste. One of his worksites was at a natural gas pumping station. The object was to clean up the soil outside the shack that had all the gauges. Whenever one got broken, all the Mercury got swept out the door over the years.