Income Inequality

oldngray

nowhere special
obama-reagan-job-growth.png

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...alism-proves-to-be-as-disastrous-as-expected/

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-los-angeles-minimum-wage-unions-20150526-story.html
Labor leaders, who were among the strongest supporters of the citywide minimum wage increase approved last week by the Los Angeles City Council, are advocating last-minute changes to the law that could create an exemption for companies with unionized workforces
For much of the past eight months, labor activists have argued against special considerations for business owners, such as restaurateurs, who said they would have trouble complying with the mandated pay increase.
But Rusty Hicks, who heads the county Federation of Labor and helps lead the Raise the Wage coalition, said Tuesday night that companies with workers represented by unions should have leeway to negotiate a wage below that mandated by the law.

wkmac

From what I understand, Los Angeles with the blessing of unions passed a $15 per hour minimum wage to which now said unions are trying to get an exemption from. This is a very good lesson in unintended consequences.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
From what I understand, Los Angeles with the blessing of unions passed a $15 per hour minimum wage to which now said unions are trying to get an exemption from. This is a very good lesson in unintended consequences.
Now Walmart has closed their ChinaTown store and are forcing customers to venture out of LA to shop . Thus LA loses more tax revenue .
It's a lose, lose situation .

wkmac

Now Walmart has closed their ChinaTown store and are forcing customers to venture out of LA to shop . Thus LA loses more tax revenue .

Since you quoted my post dealing with minimum wage specifically:

If you are asserting the Walmart Closing has anything to do with raising minimum wage you might need to consider the fact that Walmart is closing stores across the country. The Walmart retail model is taking a hit mostly from online pressures and this seems to be more the driver of store closures and not minimum wage hikes specifically.

At the same time, there are dozens of Walmarts in the greater LA area so not sure if LA will feel the lost tax revenue crunch from one store.

Besides, at the current federal minimum wage rate, Walmart is already ahead of the curve so any Federal wage increase would serve Walmart well by raising the operating costs of its other competitors.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You open stores in economically depressed areas that the union groups protest from the very start . And one has to wonder why this new marketing idea fails .

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

psst.. again, you know nothing about the area. THERE ARE WALMARTS EVERYWHERE in LA and surrounding suburbs.

Losing Chinatown was no big deal, its less than 10 minutes away from the next walmart. The City of Los Angeles isnt going to lose a dime with this closure. Walmart had a deal with the city in the first place to build it there and they were NOT paying the proper tax rate in the first place.

TOS.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
psst.. again, you know nothing about the area. THERE ARE WALMARTS EVERYWHERE in LA and surrounding suburbs.

Losing Chinatown was no big deal, its less than 10 minutes away from the next walmart. The City of Los Angeles isnt going to lose a dime with this closure. Walmart had a deal with the city in the first place to build it there and they were NOT paying the proper tax rate in the first place.

TOS.
10 minute away if you are driving .
The Neighborhood Market was a blessing to the elderly Asians who lived above it in Chinatown .

rickyb

Oh, I don't know.

I am obviously not in the top 62 richest people.

But I went from nothing to owning a home, 3 cars, a motorcycle and lots more.

Capitalism benefits those willing to work hard.
wrong. you can "work hard" and still not succeed in capitalism. especially nowadays. lots of people have worked hard and have had bad luck, or other factors external to whatever they did that stopped them from succeeding. that myth is promoted because it focuses blame on the individual instead of the system. the system is exempt from criticism.

newfie

wrong. you can "work hard" and still not succeed in capitalism. .

Not working hard is almost a solid guarantee that you will not succeed. Your example discourages hard work and an honest living ; in that sense the liberal system is to blame.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Not working hard is almost a solid guarantee that you will not succeed. Your example discourages hard work and an honest living ; in that sense the liberal system is to blame.
One thing I've learned from working at UPS is that "hard work" is a very subjective phrase..... a lot of people have no idea what it really means. That ignorance transgresses the liberal-conservative dichotomy.

rickyb

no my example says you can do all the right things and not succeed, which is happening more and more nowadays.

which means something (capitalism, government , etc) or someone else could be to blame.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
no my example says you can do all the right things and not succeed, which is happening more and more nowadays.

which means something (capitalism, government , etc) or someone else could be to blame.
Is this your life story here ?
You worked hard and still failed ?
Well guess what a majority of business fail with in their first few months . Most from under estimating their markets .
Many successful business people have to try several times before they make it work .