Is it required or optional to work overtime during peak season

Beerus the Destroyer

I was just wandering? I already begun, I chose to stay after and work extra hours the past couple days. But many of my other co-workers left early, some after we finsihed unloading and others after the Trucks left the building. I stayed because I wanted to make more money, but just wandering is it optional or mandatory?

By The Book

I was just wandering? I already begun, I chose to stay after and work extra hours the past couple days. But many of my other co-workers left early, some after we finsihed unloading and others after the Trucks left the building. I stayed because I wanted to make more money, but just wandering is it optional or mandatory?
Mandatory this time of year

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
Work as directed. If they say you have to stay, you have to stay. Anytime of year.

My pt sups and stewart both told me you can refuse to work past 5 hours and straight up bounce once you hit 5 hours in the day. Not saying this is all true, but I have seen people leave after 5 during peak.

No1b4Me

I have always had a assigned shift. From day one. I do work at an airhub. Lot of people i work with have other jobs.. They can not make you work past your assigned shift.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Can you confirm or deny the 5 hour rule?
I'd bet a half drinkin bottle of Jim beam and a bag of beef jerky you can't just up and leave after five hours...maybe if there's only about an hour of work left and they don't want you to have to take a lunch you can leave after 5...but they aren't gonna just let you go with thousands of packages to still be unloaded or loaded

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If they have work left, and you have seniority over another employee, who is trained in your area, and available, you can probably leave. Otherwise, plan on staying. If you're new, and on the bottom of the seniority list, you will likely be the one to finish up last.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If you don't have a second job to go to. Stay. Ups is throwing money to you this month. A lot of part timers are here for the insurance while they have to go to college or a full time job after their shift is complete.

Matty_lawn

Poopin' on the clock
If you don't have a second job to go to. Stay. Ups is throwing money to you this month. A lot of part timers are here for the insurance while they have to go to college or a full time job after their shift is complete.

Im not saying i bounce I just heard its an option is all

km3

Im not saying i bounce I just heard its an option is all

Yes, I've heard the same thing from people in my building. I've had this same debate on here a few weeks ago, too.

Where I am, the only "rule" close to that is they can't force you to perform work for another shift. So if you worked midnight, and preload is just starting, they can't make you go load a package car. But they can definitely make us stay past 5 here.

It may be a past practice or something though, so don't assume it's the same where you are.