Is this right?

QKRSTKR

Do u not have 30 working days in yet? If you do have enough to join the union then join. When u put a pkg in a car make sure you look at it again, especially if pulling out of a stack on floor.

I, probably putting a package in a car that it doesn't belong in is the main reason for his misloads. Sorry, could resist. ;)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I stand corrected ... however, Obamacare is just around the corner.

​P/T benefits are pretty good overall including vacations, holidays, healthcare and even pension.
After Obamacare comes in there will be even less of a reason to start working as a pter.

barnyard

KTM rider
You have lots of misloads and refused an offer for more training????

Not too bright I would say.

Might be best to look for other work.

Just an update to the situation if anyone was curious.

When I arrived the next day, I was put in front to split and handle 2 trucks. A veteran loader was then put to fill my old trucks till they get a new hire in. From what I was told, the veteran had 8 misloads the first day and stacked out the whole time. Since being moved to the front, I've had no misloads and kept up with the pace of the belt.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Hello all,

This would be my first post on this forum and apologize for the upcoming read. Its about half is just me venting frustration that I'm feeling from my hub.

I'm about two to two and a half months into my employment as package handler at my UPS center. I load three heavy trucks at the back of the belt after a one week general training period. The first month I was doing great with no misloads and keeping up with flow. I'm friends with my belt supervisor, along with most of every package handler and some other sup's.

This week, however; has been the worst time I've ever experienced. My trucks are getting doubled to triple their normal box count, while I get the usual 4 hours or less time to load. I get yelled at by management about stacking out and demotivated by the constant "our belt is the worst in the region". By trying to keep up, I've had a few misloads the past couple of weeks that has me now on their target list. Every day I get yelled at about misloads, if not then stacking out, or by one driver who demands a perfect clean truck.

One day I was surprised by a stranger while being overwhelmed with several bulk loads. I was greeted with "Since I've moved here, your name has always been on the misload list. How can we fix this? Do I need to teach you the proper method?", and I replied with no, and that I would try harder. The following day I was taken off my belt and yelled at by a higher up and the guy, who is in charge of stopping misloads, for refusing help. I was then schooled on why I should accept his help and that I was doing a poor job. When the misload guy was alone with me, he stated that he was tired of delivering my misloads and that my career will be shorter if it continues.

Now today I was sent home as soon as I arrived after a brief talk with a higher up. He stated that the only way for me to understand how serious my situation is, was for my pay check to be damaged. Thereafter he sent me home with no hours and said that I better gain a new perspective on my job here.

Am I in the wrong by thinking this is not how you treat employees? Especially ones who do a very hard days work for little comparable pay. Should I just start looking for other employment?

First of all, I have to say I'm.sorry for what you're going through. Have you made book yet? Union? If yes, you need to slow down and work by their methods. Remember this, you can't get fired for going slow, if you are ever disciplined it won't go anywhere. Go slow and make sure you have no misload and you're doing the job properly. If they yell at you, who cares? Tell them that you're doing the best of your ability and working safely - that's it. By now, you should already know who your shop steward is, correct? If not, ask a senior member who you trust. Tell him/her everything that you told us in your post. Some shop stewards are inept and make side deals with management just to get some day-offs. You want to know the address of your local union hall and get your ba's name and number.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Just an update to the situation if anyone was curious.

When I arrived the next day, I was put in front to split and handle 2 trucks. A veteran loader was then put to fill my old trucks till they get a new hire in. From what I was told, the veteran had 8 misloads the first day and stacked out the whole time. Since being moved to the front, I've had no misloads and kept up with the pace of the belt.

So what do you think? You think the abuse is over? You better get prepared for the other wave that's coming soon. What city and state your ups building is in?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Well its been better since and more enjoyable.
Las Vegas, NV

For everyone that keeps asking, the union wont talk to me until ive been employed for 6 months.

You're in local 631 and youre covered by the western supplement. You can make the union if you haven't worked 70 working days within 6 months, not 6 months. Do you think you have worked 70 days before October 1? You cant accrue seniority through October 1st through December 31th. No offense, but your supplement sucks, and I though mine was bad, not anymore!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You're in local 631 and youre covered by the western supplement. You can make the union if you haven't worked 70 working days within 6 months, not 6 months. Do you think you have worked 70 days before October 1? You cant accrue seniority through October 1st through December 31th. No offense, but your supplement sucks, and I though mine was bad, not anymore!
If you thought our supplement was bad (and it is, especially for PTers)....why the friend did you not only vote Yes, but took a pic of your ballot and posted it on BC?? And you want to be a steward?? lol glad YOU AIN'T EVEN in my building! lol

J

jibbs

I was under the impression that, technically, IBT/UPS union stewards in RTW states are still supposed to represent their coworkers who aren't in the union. I've read on here that those coworkers don't always receive the most competent representation but are entitled to it nonetheless...

I always thought it was ridiculous but remember reading it time and time again, complaints about non-Teamster UPS employees enjoying the "perks" (can't think of a better word) that accompany our union dues and membership . Can anyone speak up here and let me know whether or not I'm misinformed?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That's weird he can't join yet. Here in New England a steward was brought in during initial training and I signed a card that day. Once I had like 5 months in I was eligible for benefits and went to a union meeting and got sworn in but I had representation from day 1.