Job Justification

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
This whole thing seems pretty redundant to me. I mean, the stuff gets picked up, the customer is happy, isn't that what's really important?

2Slow

We were told by managment that the pickup time thing was primarily a sales tool... However, customers do prefer regularity so that they know what to expect.

I wouldn't pre-record any stops to do later, it is falsification. Think about it; what is the reason to pre-record the stop? To change the time recorded to something different than the time you did the stop. Clearly, that is falsification.

I don't think that calling a pickup is a bad thing, so long as you call at a decent time for them and make sure you talk to someone who knows what is going on.

ups79

Well I was told yesterday that I needed to get more into compliance with my pick times, to be within 15 minutes either before or after the scheduled time. I have been a cover driver for 3 years and have been doing the same route for the last 3 weeks. This route has all of 5 pickups on it. The first four are done when I deliver and the last one is done at 5 pm. I deliver the first four stops usually before 1030 and pick up anything they have. The scheduled pickup times are 10:00 am for the first two and 12:15 pm for the second two. I usually get both done by 9:30 as they are the first two stops I have with my airs. These are 2 pickups for the same company and 2 for a college, one at the bookstore and one at the library. Usually these all have nothing to go out. So I get this message again about compliance when I know I am doing it right for the customer. Then the sup asks how he can change the times to get it into compliance. What matters more, making the customer happy by picking them up when THEY want, or managements numbers? Anyway.......this got me thinking, a dangerous venture to say the least, after talking with some other guys about it, this recent crap about pickup times is most likely one of those things that comes around every once in a while and blows over when management finds something else to harp on us about. But is it one of those things that someone came up with to justify their job? Like I said before what is more important, picking up when the customer wants, or changing the pickup time to make management look better for whatever compliance number someone decided needed to be followed?

So I'd like to know, how many of you have something where you work that just reeks of an idea someone came up with solely to justify keeping their job (or at least appears that way because the sups cannot explain why well enough)? Something that makes little to no sense in the job, but they still make us do it. Another one I have is the little yellow stickers they placed on the door jambs of the package cars and telling us that we need to adjust the mirrors to a certain position so that we see these stickers because this represents the best position the mirrors can be in for seeing behind you.....according to someone from safety......

Is the 12:15 pick up a business? If so how are you allowed to either pickup or deliver to a business between the hours of 12 to 1:00. We wasn't allowed to at our center.

rod

Retired 22 years
Is the 12:15 pick up a business? If so how are you allowed to either pickup or deliver to a business between the hours of 12 to 1:00. We wasn't allowed to at our center.
I used to have a fast food place that got their payroll checks every 2 weeks. It was one of those no deliveries between noon and 1 places that I always had to come back for. I would stop there at 1:00 and take my break and when they asked for their checks I would tell them " no deliveries between 1 and 1:30 cause I was on my break." :happy2: They even insulted me and said they would make an exception just for the checks. Homey don't play those games

tups

Yes the 12:15 pickups are businesses. But those are delivered usually before 10:30 or 11:00 am at the latest. In my center we get a message everyday that says No closed business between 12 and 1. So we are able to deliver between 12-1 but we cannot sheet anything as closed between those hours. It seems really ridiculous to me that they are saying that the times need to be in compliance. And these business stops know what time we deliver at and pick up at, and they are happy with it.

But I guess that this thread kind of went away from what I originally intended. With issues like this pickup time compliance, or what I wrote about the little yellow safety stickers on the doors of the trucks, things like this sometimes make little to no sense in how the job is actually done, and we sometimes surmise these crazy things are thought up by someone who needs to justify their job. I had asked if anyone else has something they see or do as part of their job that would look like someone trying to justify their job. I apologize if my post was not understood correctly.

browndude

ok again why not just change the time to when the businesses want and expect you there. then they will be happy and you will be in compliance.