Joining the Union now or wait after the year?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh, so they go out and negotiate their own contracts, defend themselves with discipline using the same black book we have as paying members, and pay their time in the trenches like the rest of us did with a FT job waiting on them at the end if they so choose?
I noticed you side-stepped the reason we all have a job - to get paid.
Part-timers would probably get paid more per hour if they worked for a non-union company.

8000Shelf

Part-timers would probably get paid more per hour if they worked for a non-union company.

I made $20/hr before I went driving with health benefits. Where can you go to get that as a part timer these days?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I noticed you side stepped the benefits in your equation, also the fact no one forced you to work at a union shop. By your post if paid money was all people were looking for, no one would apply at UPS for a PT job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
OK, we have had these discussions in the past.

It seems like we came up with $15/hr as the trigger for a P/T to join the Union.
That's funny as you can simply look at McDonalds for your $15/hr arguement that employees were fighting for under a non union environment, how's that working out for them. Good thing we have contracts with strong rate increases and the guarantee of a FT job at the end of it, plus other negotiated benefits and protections, I'll take those over a stale burger at the end of the night as benefits.

8000Shelf

As a PTer I am paid more per hour then all Art 22.3's and the same as a lot of FT.

All full timers have the same amount of dues.

Per ratio part timers do pay "more" but they also get more... full healthcare, vacations, etc. per less hours worked. It's a wash, just depends how you look at it.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As a PTer I am paid more per hour then all Art 22.3's and the same as a lot of FT.
So where are you paying more than FT driver employees? You've been working there for years as a PT employee by choice. Am I hearing correctly you're complaining about dues being taken while you make close to $34/hr, supplied by negotiated raises from contracts, with healthcare premiums paid for, plus pension contributions, as a PT employee?

PT Car Washer

All full timers have the same amount of dues.

Per ratio part timers do pay "more" but they also get more... full healthcare, vacations, etc. per less hours worked. It's a wash, just depends how you look at it.
Not all FT have the same pay rate and do not all pay the same amount of dues. I have to give it to you on the benefits side. Work one hour a week and have some of the best free healthcare available.

PT Car Washer

So where are you paying more than FT driver employees? You've been working there for years as a PT employee by choice. Am I hearing correctly you're complaining about dues being taken while you make close to $34/hr, supplied by negotiated raises from contracts, with healthcare premiums paid for, plus pension contributions, as a PT employee?
Not complaining at all. A lot of drivers tell me they wish they could be in my shoes. Just saying it is not fair that a person working 20 hours a week pays more then a person working 45 hours a week. And yes I am in my position by choice.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Not complaining at all. A lot of drivers tell me they wish they could be in my shoes. Just saying it is not fair that a person working 20 hours a week pays more then a person working 45 hours a week. And yes I am in my position by choice.
Not sure where hours come into play, if I was FT and worked one day a week every week is still pay more than you, all things being equal in their respective top rates. Guys in FT progression could argue why should they make less per hour than a PT employee who works 1hr a week vs them who work 45hrs a week. It's the same reason you pay more in dues then they do.

PT Car Washer

Not sure where hours come into play, if I was FT and worked one day a week every week is still pay more than you, all things being equal in their respective top rates. Guys in FT progression could argue why should they make less per hour than a PT employee who works 1hr a week vs them who work 45hrs a week. It's the same reason you pay more in dues then they do.
I guess I look at it like taxes. Why should a person making 80K a year pay the same dollar amount as a person making 30K a year? Was not looking in the contract book. Dog wanted to go for a walk.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I guess I look at it like taxes. Why should a person making 80K a year pay the same dollar amount as a person making 30K a year? Was not looking in the contract book. Dog wanted to go for a walk.
By that mentality you should strive to have lower wages so you pay less in dues, especially if you have the opportunity to make 80k but choose not to.

PT Car Washer

By that mentality you should strive to have lower wages so you pay less in dues, especially if you have the opportunity to make 80k but choose not to.
Well the Union sure took care of that problem for new hire PT. Earn minimum wage and pay minimum dues. Like I said I am in my position by choice. Not complaining. In fact I feel sorry for a lot of middle age drivers. center manager beats them like a borrowed mule and they have no recourse then to wait for a Feeder route to open.