jurisdiction after you punch out?

SFBayUPSer

Indy, perhaps your right about what you posted but that may only pertain to your state.

In California private security guards can make citizens arrests just like anyone else can. With respect to your "being a security guard for a few years", I have been thru a California POST certified academy.

In addition, California licensed security guards are even more applicable to laws because they have a 40 hours powers to arrest training course. So, a uniformed guard tells you to STOP and not leave, that DOES constitute an arrest one way or the other. You don't have to be handcuffed, you don't have to be told "your under arrest".

Im not advocating one way or the other for the guy. Im just stating facts. Techinically this security guard could get in trouble for "arresting" this guy and not giving due process. Once he stopped him for possesion of a controlled substance and wanted to violate him for UPS policy's, he apparently unknowingly arrested him for possesion of a controlled substance.

So it looks like two people could loose their job.

At the Northbay Hub, we have metal detectors and several large uniformed guard equipped with handcuffs & occasionalluy there are some armed guards visiting from another site down the street. Here in Richmond California, Private Patrol companies are almost identical looking to police, and arrest people ALL THE TIME.
Please excuse and spelling and grammer mistakes as I am typing fast and must leave now. :)

So with all due respect Indy, being in Indy, you my friend have no idea what YOUR talking about.

some1else

Banned
another reason not to live in california :) so the state doesnt trust its citizens to arm themselves; but they let security guards arrest people? retarded. in va. all they can do is call the cops on you; in this situation probably for trespassing becuase unless it was on tape there is no proof of who had the drugs (ask marion barry lol)

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
uhhh OKKK you think for 7 years ill i have been doing is p/t work and smoke weed the rest of the day? hahaha my day just gets started after the pre-load shift. jerk! if priorities were lowering yourself or standing tall. what would i choose? what would you choose?

thank GOD for assets and no retirment plan.
:greedy:

Your about the densest person I've come across in a long time. I never said anything about you smoking weed all day long, you interjected that yourself. Like I SAID I hope that the LIL weed was worth your career. And your not standing tall in your situation. If your job was even remotely important to you, you would have called your other appointments that day and explained to them that you were detained at work and got that fitness for duty done. And if being a responsible adult is not about using and more about abusing, then I wonder if you're other job or jobs know that you use and not abuse? UPS is a drug free work place, and I'm sure you know that. As I said before your priorities are all screwed up if you think that your perceived right to do a LIL weed, get caught, and then refuse to do a fitness for work exam is empowering to you.

another reason not to live in california :) so the state doesnt trust its citizens to arm themselves; but they let security guards arrest people? retarded. in va. all they can do is call the cops on you; in this situation probably for trespassing becuase unless it was on tape there is no proof of who had the drugs (ask marion barry lol)

You seem to love the word "retarded". Some poeple find that as offensive as you find abortion.

Cole

Hey bud! pun intended! :)

First you were caught where? the guard shack, which is where? UPS property! As far as maturity, if you have a family, yes it was very immature not to be more thoughful or cognizant of what you were doing that has put your job in jeopardy. You could have insisted on union representaion, and should have, but there's little to nothing a steward/ba, or anyone could do. They have the right to take you to be tested, a refusal, is an admittance of guilt.

At best they will allow you to enroll in a rehab program, which means upon completion, you will be subject to random tests, if you fail one, that's it. Usually that is allowed when an employee approaches mngmnt before hand to seek help, it is their choice in your situation. No doubt you see this as a minor offense, and in part it is, put it shows negligance on your part. You should have known what was in your pants, as going through detectors is nothing new to you dude! It shows a lack of caring about your job, to be caught like that.

That said, I do wish the best for you, and hope a fair resolution for you, and that you put it behind you, and acknowledge your own mistake to prevent such a thing happening again. The blame is yours alone friend, the guard did his job, you should have known to make damn sure your pockets etc...were clean friend!

Let us know what happens, sometimes they will give someone another chance for redemption, but they will likely put you on a limb and call it a last chance, and anything else and bye bye, sometimes they don't. There's honestly not much the union can do, so blaming them on this is not the problem. They can negotiate, but there's precious little to go with, you are at their mercy.You have to convince mngmnt you want to get right, and get back.

Good Luck!

Cole

barrycold

Hey bud! pun intended! :)

First you were caught where? the guard shack, which is where? UPS property! As far as maturity, if you have a family, yes it was very immature not to be more thoughful or cognizant of what you were doing that has put your job in jeopardy. You could have insisted on union representaion, and should have, but there's little to nothing a steward/ba, or anyone could do. They have the right to take you to be tested, a refusal, is an admittance of guilt.

At best they will allow you to enroll in a rehab program, which means upon completion, you will be subject to random tests, if you fail one, that's it. Usually that is allowed when an employee approaches mngmnt before hand to seek help, it is their choice in your situation. No doubt you see this as a minor offense, and in part it is, put it shows negligance on your part. You should have known what was in your pants, as going through detectors is nothing new to you dude! It shows a lack of caring about your job, to be caught like that.

That said, I do wish the best for you, and hope a fair resolution for you, and that you put it behind you, and acknowledge your own mistake to prevent such a thing happening again. The blame is yours alone friend, the guard did his job, you should have known to make damn sure your pockets etc...were clean friend!

Let us know what happens, sometimes they will give someone another chance for redemption, but they will likely put you on a limb and call it a last chance, and anything else and bye bye, sometimes they don't. There's honestly not much the union can do, so blaming them on this is not the problem. They can negotiate, but there's precious little to go with, you are at their mercy.You have to convince mngmnt you want to get right, and get back.

Good Luck!

Cole

Amen

rocket man

you should have let them call the cops they would have arrested them for wasiting there time and you also did the right thing turning that in to the gaurd you found it on your way out.

New Englander

hahaha the attention was at my pocket becuz the wand beeped at my pocket, becuz of my loose change. so the security is staring at my hand to bring out whatever the metal was.

:smart:

Lay off the weed man. The time I spent trying to use my cereal decoder ring to translate your posts I can't ever get back!

Good bye.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I was making a delivery the other day and a young kid asked me if we drug tested? I just looked at him. He said that he smoked weed but really wanted a job with us. I told him that we drug tested every month and for him not to bother. We dont need kids like that or this working for us.

brown67

All I can say is goodbye. I can't believe all the pot smokers out there that say weed won't ruin their lives. I mean there must be a book out there called: "Greatest pot smokers in world history." Grab your weed and leave.

rootbeerman

thats a bit of a stretch; besides those are the same people that kill the :censored2: "fetus" before it is born so i dont see why they care.

Or they could be the parents of a child with a disability.
I can't STAND politically correct people

Congress shall make NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or Abridging the FREEDOM OF SPEECH, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

my 2 cents

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Honestly
It is true you can be offered rehab and keep your job under stricter guidelines. But from reading these posts, You have shown no remorse or no need to be bothered with rehab.
Walking out of the building with drugs is not tolerated anywhere !!

You want to come on here and quote civil rights jargon like an educated man when you were stupid enough to have drugs on you at work.

Your 7 years are history and no sense putting it down as a reference on a job application. The bottom line is that if you were remorseful, you might have had a chance.