Late night deliveries

gman042

Been around the block a few times
A significant portion of my rural deliveries involve being forced to park down below or out of sight of the front door and then walking the package up to the house. There aren't any streetlights out in the country. Dogs run loose, and while I know most of them they can behave much differently when its pitch black and all they see is a guy with a flashlight
walking up the driveway. Customers...99% of whom are armed...can also behave much differently, especially at 10:00 at night.

My entire carreer I have spent delivering in the country and rural type settings. I don't have an issue with pulling into driveways or deliverying to people after dark. Like I said before. .....tis the season. If we have the work to do and it keeps us out past dark get it done anyway. Be safe, be concientious and be aware.

margaritaville

I dont mind delivery in the city at 9pm. What is scary as :censored2: is delivering misloads in the country side in the dark. Dont want to get shotgun blasted by some meth head or attacked by some pitbull for scaring a customer. Could care less about disturbing them, im scared for my personal safety.

AKCoverMan

For us it's spelled out in the contract. We deliver until 2130 light or dark. (In the summer if we based it on daylight we could go all night!)

After 2130 it's totally up to me.

Come to think of it it's ALWAYS totally up to me. :blushing2:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We had a guy last peak out past eleven knocking and ringing bells. Enough residents called that he was asked by the police WTF are you doing? And no you can't continue go home.

AKCoverMan

I was stopped by local cops one night but I was in a Uhaul cargo van. People had called about a "suspicious man in a van going around the neighborhood".

Officer and I had a good laugh and he said he would call the people back and tell them who I was.

OPTION3

Had a center manager send me back out 1 peak MANY moons ago...Blind, with about 50 stops in a golf course community....knocking on doors at 10Pm...every customer that came out and complained, I gave the (800) number and the center manager’s name. Next morning got called into center manager’s office about 25 complaints with his name on them......NEVER been asked to go back out since

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Daylight is at a premium for us here in The Last Frontier..our sunset today is at 1546. Fortunately we are on the downhill side and gaining daylight now.

On rural routes in winter I never take a lunch and rarely a break before it gets dark out I want to deliver as much as possible in daylight. Then I will usually take just my paid breaks (not giving up paid time!). I smimply don't enter an unpaid lunch.

728 do you actually sit at the center (or somewhere) for an hour between 2100-2200 and get home that much later? Yuck!
oh yeah I take my hour and eat supper. In my center if you habitually take a Code 5 you get more work.

sportsjock

If I'm delivering after after 7PM I have a special knock I use and all my customers knows the knock. Most of them have small or newborns

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Anyone who is not happy with us delivering late is more than welcome to call the 1-800 number and voice thier concern. You as an employee are a tool of the company to perform a service, if that service isn't violating any safety protocols, you are expected to perform them. Stop thinking about what's right and wrong in your own perfect delivery world, if the marketplace deems it's too late to deliver, they will let the company know, one way or the other. The market spoke about the service failures of last year, the company reacted.

As bad as it sounds, if we truly followed the methods by knocking, ringing, and shouting our presence no matter what time of night, maybe the customers would actually voice their concerns and file enough complaints then something might actually get done with regards to having a driver out past dark.The customer is important but none of the customers are more important than yourself and your safety and there should be no reason why any of us is out late after dark delivering some silly box.

AKCoverMan

oh yeah I take my hour and eat supper. In my center if you habitually take a Code 5 you get more work.
If you worked over 8 why does code 5 or code 6 even matter? Regardless you get paid for actual time. I was code 6 every day in Dec and never took an unpaid lunch period.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As bad as it sounds, if we truly followed the methods by knocking, ringing, and shouting our presence no matter what time of night, maybe the customers would actually voice their concerns and file enough complaints then something might actually get done with regards to having a driver out past dark.The customer is important but none of the customers are more important than yourself and your safety and there should be no reason why any of us is out late after dark delivering some silly box.
Sad thing is that if CNN had an expose on this, the driver would be found in fault. Driver should have DR'd the package and not announced the delivery. We all know that is total BS but UPS Legal would find a way.. They always do.

PT Car Washer

Sad thing is that if CNN had an expose on this, the driver would be found in fault. Driver should have DR'd the package and not announced the delivery. We all know that is total BS but UPS Legal would find a way.. They always do.
An honest man doesn't stand a chance against a sharp lawyer.