Laziness? Unfamiliar? Or am I an butthole?

atronatomic

Situations certainly have a way of eroding and damaging relationships if you allow them to.

However, if you understand the dynamic that is Unionism, you will look past the imperfections of your brothers/sisters and be there supporting them, backing them up, and if need be, leading the charge.

I don't know if you come from s big family or if you are a single child, but maybe if you think of the way you would handle a situation with your family and substitute you new union family in their place, you might see them in a different light. Maybe?

I can squabble with my family (brothers and sisters) all I want. I have been in a couple of knock down drag outs with them. Don't think for a second I will stand by let an outsider threaten, mistreat, or abuse any of my family without me or any of my family getting involved. It just isn't going to happen.

I didn't get to chose my family but I love them none the less. I didn't get to chose my Union brothers and sisters but you better not cross them because you will have to deal with the rest of us.

Not every situation can be handle diplomatically. Some require finesse, some assertiveness, and other need a heavy hammer. Sounds like you have some heavy hammers around there. One day you'll be glad they are there and if you are there smooth voice of reason, they will be glad you are there for them.
My wife calls me the "quintessential only child"...probably explains a lot about me haha. As an only child, I was also raised with a single mother who worked her butt off to provide me with a good life. I was always taught that at the end of the day, your work ethic will speak louder than words. Work hard and good things happen (even if it's only self satisfaction).
I've never worked a Union job before, so this is all relatively new to me. As I've said before, these issues aren't anything I'd bring up at work so that's why I've turned to you guys to help me understand these dynamics and maybe vent a bit.
Thanks again for the time and thoughtfulness in your posts. You seem to be the Union Sensei around here! Definitely appreciated and I'll make sure to reflect on it both in and out of work.

atronatomic

So all in all, with all things considered, I can probably answer my own question. Laziness? No, definitely not. Am I still unfamiliar and kind of a (an) "butthole"? Yea, a bit of both haha.
This site is awesome. Thanks everyone for the contributions you make to us newcomers. I've never worked anywhere that had this kind of homegrown resource available.
Cheers!

Dr.Brownz

I hear ya man, I hope this is more or less friendly banter between us. I know you drivers are over worked, I don't load but when delivering bulk, I'll help load the super heavies into the truck and my jaw drops at how jam packed those package cars get. I know some drivers who say that the only family time they get during the week is on skype or FaceTime with their families...I can only imagine the frustration that comes with that.
Essentially, we're all on the same team, I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of the dynamic between unionists and management.

Management does not care about your health or safety; work safe and dont give in to intimidation; do you take your breaks? Do you know your state labor laws?

hyena

359d0yp.gif

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Sorry, my little man grabbed the phone and apparently hit send before I could get it back.

Actually the people on here are wrong about the union book. Ups pretty much finds a way to screw you over regardless if you use it or don't use it. Not to mention if UPS wants you gone their find a way to get rid of you. Seen it happen to a lot of people. Come in preach about how UPS can't do this because of our contract and their gone. If the union book was so good we wouldn't be forced to go into hearings begging and apologizing for stuff. Again nothing against the Union but you got to fend for yourself and make friends with whom you respect.

union4life

Actually the people on here are wrong about the union book. Ups pretty much finds a way to screw you over regardless if you use it or don't use it. Not to mention if UPS wants you gone their find a way to get rid of you. Seen it happen to a lot of people. Come in preach about how UPS can't do this because of our contract and their gone. If the union book was so good we wouldn't be forced to go into hearings begging and apologizing for stuff. Again nothing against the Union but you got to fend for yourself and make friends with whom you respect.
I personally have never said UPS can't fire an employee. I know they can fire me tomorrow if they want. I also know that since I do everything by the book, I will be back and made whole without having to beg for anything.

It's real simple, this is your job to lose.

Don't make exceptions to rules. If it inconveniences someone you are dealing with (management or customer), so be it. Remember, whatever someone asks of you, if it's wrong, it's not worth your job.

The choices you make will determine the ultimate outcome.

Learn the methods, follow the rules, be respectful and feel assured in your Union.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I personally have never said UPS can't fire an employee. I know they can fire me tomorrow if they want. I also know that since I do everything by the book, I will be back and made whole without having to beg for anything.

It's real simple, this is your job to lose.

Don't make exceptions to rules. If it inconveniences someone you are dealing with (management or customer), so be it. Remember, whatever someone asks of you, if it's wrong, it's not worth your job.

The choices you make will determine the ultimate outcome.

Learn the methods, follow the rules, be respectful and feel assured in your Union.
As soon as i lose faith in all things union..at allmost 30 yrs in,, this guy shows up. Well played sir

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We're union and we're lazy, yet we outwork our non-union counterparts at FedEx Ground every day. Go figure! Shop talk is just that.

said the part time sup with few benefits and NO job security.

Our job security is nothing compared to management's. I've made this observation for years, but what validified it was a recent lawsuit I came across: guy gets promoted to DM & moves across the country, inheriting district with crappy numbers.... after a year, numbers are worse & he gets put on Management Probation Action Plan... 6 months later he gets demoted as numbers continue to tank... in his new position, things really hit the pooper -> he's xferd out and given another Management Probation Action Plan... things still don't improve, so he's demoted again. Sues UPS saying he was unfairly demoted / being retaliated against for speaking out about needing changes / his numbers were pristine before move. He loses lawsuit... but still has a job.