Liberal / Conservative

ImWaitingForTheDay

Annoy a conservative....Think for yourself
You just can't handle the truth.
Well countless times in my life I've been presented with facts that are contrary to what I held to be true. And I've altered my perceptions accordingly. That's the difference between me and you: I'm interested in examining and scrutinizing facts and am willing to accept I might sometimes be wrong. I don't start with a "belief" and keep a death grip on it because the alternative might be uncongenial to me. Read the article again:this time, with comprehension!

oldngray

nowhere special
Well countless times in my life I've been presented with facts that are contrary to what I held to be true. And I've altered my perceptions accordingly. That's the difference between me and you: I'm interested in examining and scrutinizing facts and am willing to accept I might sometimes be wrong. I don't start with a "belief" and keep a death grip on it because the alternative might be uncongenial to me. Read the article again:this time, with comprehension!

I totally disagree. You cling to your liberal beliefs and reject any criticism without any thought. I think about situations, examine FACTS from multiple sources, then reach my conclusions. I can and have changed my opinions on things but only if there is reason to do so.

ImWaitingForTheDay

I totally disagree. You cling to your liberal beliefs and reject any criticism without any thought. I think about situations, examine FACTS from multiple sources, then reach my conclusions. I can and have changed my opinions on things but only if there is reason to do so.
You could probably turn your cognitive dissonance/ignorance into a paycheck by volunteering for these kinds of psych studies. New title for this article: "Are Conservatives Less Likely Than Liberals to Know what 'Cognitive Dissonance' Actually Means?"

oldngray

nowhere special
You could probably turn your cognitive dissonance/ignorance into a paycheck by volunteering for these kinds of psych studies. New title for this article: "Are Conservatives Less Likely Than Liberals to Know what 'Cognitive Dissonance' Actually Means?"

Did you read that story explaining how that prof phrased his questions and how he decided what the responses would mean? He generated a biased questionaire and not a scientific study. But that type of rational reasoning seems to beyond your capabilities.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Did you read that story explaining how that prof phrased his questions and how he decided what the responses would mean? He generated a biased questionaire and not a scientific study. But that type of rational reasoning seems to beyond your capabilities.
I am a liberal, and the piece isn't what I base my opinions on. I don't believe we should let others do our thinking for us. This study is similar to others that have been done that support there being a difference in how the mind works for both conservative and a liberal mind. If I am not mistaken, the brain of a liberal lights up in more places than one of a conservative.

But lets set all of that aside, because it if the article and other studies are accurate, you will not be able to accept it, which is what the article says to begin with. Lets just go with what we know that the GOP has said about themselves......let the GOP speak for itself and only use their words. Bobby Jindal pointed out that the GOP could no longer be the party of stupid.....the Texas GOP want critical thinking (something I would argue conservatives don't do in the first place, so it seems that liberals are being targeted for the dumbing down movement by the GOP), removed from schools for the sole reason that it teaches people to think for themselves, you have Santorum telling us that education leads to thinking liberal, and that we ought not to send our kids to college, something Romney also supported, and you have Bob Dole saying the party needs to be closed for an overhaul.

You might think it is liberal bias, but clearly the GOP leadership doesn't believe it. To add to all of that, the GOP have given us, Palin, Perry, Bachmann, Cruz, and a host of others, who would be eaten alive by William friend. Buckley.

My ego is pretty well developed and secure, but IF I needed anything to make me feel smarter......I would just go back to things that Palin, Cruz, Bachmann,Walker, have said. I would NOT put myself up against the vocabulary and education of William friend. Buckley. To me, backed the wrong side, but gosh he did it with flair and intelligence. That was a time when there was more pride in being a republican.

oldngray

nowhere special
I am a liberal, and the piece isn't what I base my opinions on. I don't believe we should let others do our thinking for us. This study is similar to others that have been done that support there being a difference in how the mind works for both conservative and a liberal mind. If I am not mistaken, the brain of a liberal lights up in more places than one of a conservative.

But lets set all of that aside, because it if the article and other studies are accurate, you will not be able to accept it, which is what the article says to begin with. Lets just go with what we know that the GOP has said about themselves......let the GOP speak for itself and only use their words. Bobby Jindal pointed out that the GOP could no longer be the party of stupid.....the Texas GOP want critical thinking (something I would argue conservatives don't do in the first place, so it seems that liberals are being targeted for the dumbing down movement by the GOP), removed from schools for the sole reason that it teaches people to think for themselves, you have Santorum telling us that education leads to thinking liberal, and that we ought not to send our kids to college, something Romney also supported, and you have Bob Dole saying the party needs to be closed for an overhaul.

You might think it is liberal bias, but clearly the GOP leadership doesn't believe it. To add to all of that, the GOP have given us, Palin, Perry, Bachmann, Cruz, and a host of others, who would be eaten alive by William friend. Buckley.

My ego is pretty well developed and secure, but IF I needed anything to make me feel smarter......I would just go back to things that Palin, Cruz, Bachmann,Walker, have said. I would NOT put myself up against the vocabulary and education of William friend. Buckley. To me, backed the wrong side, but gosh he did it with flair and intelligence. That was a time when there was more pride in being a republican.

You just said IF that study was accurate. So you admit that the study PROVED NOTHING. The rest of your post is just your own opinion which you are entitled to but still does not mean you are correct in your assumptions.

Sportello

You fail to grasp scientific reasoning. Some liberal professor had a thesis and formed his questions and then his conclusions to produce the results he wanted. It is just an opinion piece and not a scientific proof of anything.
Says you, or the conservative opinion piece written by someone who is not a social scientist?

Polly want a cracker?

oldngray

nowhere special
Says you, or the conservative opinion piece written by someone who is not a social scientist?

Polly want a cracker?

Did I quote anyone else? And there you go making a fool of yourself with your ass-umptions again.
I do have a scientific degree but in hard science, not social science which is more social than science.

Sportello

OMG. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A STUDY LOOKS LIKE.

DO YOU?

This is as good as a term paper. With proofs and conclusions.

No actual laboratory study or field study was ever done.

What a bunch of liberal sheep.
Waiting for that response. What is your threshold to be considered 'science'?

Are you parroting talking points?

Sportello

Did I quote anyone else? And there you go making a fool of yourself with your ass-umptions again.
I do have a scientific degree but in hard science, not social science which is more social than science.

Really? Stay on topic then. What is the basis for your statement? What were the scientific rebuttals of the peer reviewed paper?

Cite them please, Mr hard science. Should we call you Dr oldngray?

oldngray

nowhere special
Really? Stay on topic then. What is the basis for your statement? What were the scientific rebuttals of the peer reviewed paper?

Cite them please, Mr hard science. Should we call you Dr oldngray?

Impossible to rebut the science of an opinion piece using no science for its supposed proof.
And "peer review" is one of the meaningless statements because it doesn't address any facts of the situation. Another group of "peers" could review and say something completely different. Has nothing to do with scientific method.

ImWaitingForTheDay

Waiting for that response. What is your threshold to be considered 'science'?

Are you parroting talking points?
Well to be fair most Republicans,Cons believe - actually believe - they are better equipped to determine the relevance of scientific findings than the scientists themselves.They begin by saying, "Well, I'm no scientist," then proceed to denigrate the work of those who are, and never for a moment grasp the incredible importance they are attaching to their own opinions which they admit aren't based on anything. Science is the devils work, anyway....

oldngray

nowhere special
Well to be fair most Republicans,Cons believe - actually believe - they are better equipped to determine the relevance of scientific findings than the scientists themselves.They begin by saying, "Well, I'm no scientist," then proceed to denigrate the work of those who are, and never for a moment grasp the incredible importance they are attaching to their own opinions which they admit aren't based on anything. Science is the devils work, anyway....

Most hard scientists are conservative. It is the liberal arts/social science crowd that lean liberal.

Sportello

Impossible to rebut the science of an opinion piece using no science for its supposed proof.
And "peer review" is one of the meaningless statements because it doesn't address any facts of the situation. Another group of "peers" could review and say something completely different. Has nothing to do with scientific method.
There was a link to a published paper. A RW hack with no education on the subject disagreed, you followed suit, blindly. Your piece was the 'opinion piece', and you can't defend it, only doubletalk to rationalize.

What field is your 'hard science' degree in, and from where?

oldngray

nowhere special
There was a link to a published paper. A RW hack with no education on the subject disagreed, you followed suit, blindly. Your piece was the 'opinion piece', and you can't defend it, only doubletalk to rationalize.

What field is your 'hard science' degree in, and from where?

What RW hack disagreed? I never quoted anyone else. And if he did disagree you still totally fail to counter the arguments. I never claimed to prove anything. All I did was point out the total lack of any proof in that study you seem to love so much. I see you can't provide any facts to support your claims.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I just wish you would challenge the ideas that come from the left, like you do the ideas that come from the right.

This isn't a study.

It is a hypothesis to support her already established position.

If it was a study, she is an absolute miracle worker.

She is able to do study after study in an unreasonably short period of time, that says Republicans are bad, and Democrats are good.

Strange?