Load Bar$

P

pickup

My feeders department (maybe district or company wide for all I know )has decided that every customer pick up (CPU) whether a swap of trailer,live pickup, or drop of a trailer needs to have a load bar on the incoming trailer. This is in order to prevent damages and hence save the company money on claims.

Other than a live pickup, the load bar is not in control of a driver. So what is happening is that we are losing the load bars. For example, I bring an empty trailer with a load bar to a customer location and pull a sealed loaded trailer (a trailer I brought there the day before) out of there . I get back to hub and have seal broken and out of curiosity , open the door and take a peek and see no load bar.

This goes on for a while until I get to the customer early one day and manage to get into the building because they are not closed and see a bunch of our load bars leaning against the wall. Not all of them because some other truckers , when making their deliveries and pickups helped themselves to a few of them. Yes, I tried talking to this customer and a few others but they fail to utilize the load bar or fail to chuck it back on the trailer.

We have some customers who also have their own trucks. For those customers , we are basically buying , supplying, and delivering load bars .

This won't go on forever, our newly replenished supply of load bars is diminishing and eventually our hub won't have enough load bars to secure our own rail loads so we will end up having damaged freight anyway .

If this company gave discretion to the drivers about who gets a load bar and who doesn't, the above scenario wouldn't take place but Nooooo, it's do as we say, they all get load bars.

I am sure this decision was made in response to the 4th quarter loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

First thing I would do as a unloader, would be to chuck the bar.

Well that's the way it's supposed to work. The ups unloader would chuck it into the hub or leave it in the trailer with the skids. If in the trailer, it's good for the next pickup. If in the hub , the load bar eventually joins the other ones near the load doors. A load bar would be used on a upsu 600 series going on the rail.

Come 7:00 in the morning , we might get a feeder driver to hook up to a trailer that has the remaining load bars and take it to the part of the facility that has the skid dock(where skids are cleaned out so that an empty trailer can be used again) . From the skid dock a cpu driver can throw the load bar back on.

As rail trailers come from other parts of the country into our hub, we will be replenished with load containers, except from I81IN because that hub never puts load containers on anything but I digress.

Now if there is leakage in the system and there is with our not getting our load bars back from our pickup customers, then eventually we are short on the cpu side and or the hub side.

It would be better and cheaper not to buy new ones in the first place and use them only in situations where we go know we are going to get them back. As opposed to buying them and having them today and then bleeding them out over a period of a few weeks.

dudebro

A hook and a security wire like we have with the straps on cpu trailers.

Won't work though. We affix the load strap in the UPS owned trailers to the side wall, and it still amazes me how many of our PT sups must be walking around with pocket knives because they're all cut out of the trailers. Use a wire, and these kids will magically produce wirecutters.

km3

Won't work though. We affix the load strap in the UPS owned trailers to the side wall, and it still amazes me how many of our PT sups must be walking around with pocket knives because they're all cut out of the trailers. Use a wire, and these kids will magically produce wirecutters.

Because it's so hard to just grab a load stand, and take 30 seconds to undo it yourself and move it into the ready position for the next loader.

And then there are the loaders who just load the retainer straps into the middle of a wall (and the sups who let them).

There might just be a reason why we can't have nice things...

km3

My bad. You were talking about the part that's not supposed to come off. Sad that they cut the parts of the straps with the clips too, though. I can live with the middle left of the strap not being attached to the slide on the trailer wall, but how am I supposed to strap up a load if both of the top clips have been cut off? It's ridiculous.