Lost Opportunity for good comeback

S

serenity now

I was missing a package last week and my supervisor delivered it at 9:30 on his way home. The consignee is a retired Army officer and goes to bed early. He got out of bed and opened his door holding a Colt 1911, he was still mad about it when I delivered another box a couple of days later.

wish i could have seen the expression on the face of that supe

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im at the point now where i dont say a word about the dispatch or number of stops, theres no point. if they send me out with an idiot dispatch and an idiotic amount of stops i punch em right in the mouth super late and take my lunch when i get in right in front of them. Crazy part about it all is you will usually plan out ok with their stupidness lol. As long as you plan out ok with their retardedness they cant really say anything to you really. I know it pisses them off that i dont say a word about it, all about revenge when you send me out like that feel me. Thanx for the super fatty paycheck numbnutts much obliged partner lol. Ill work til midnight every night i dont give a damm i made up my mind long time ago no life mon to fri just make mad bank baby word! lol

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Are rural centers cash-strapped or something? Why is any driver being asked to stay out past 9:00 pm? In my center we have to let them know if we will be out past 9.5.; it is not assumed. Our center's planned dispatch for a route is normally 9.13, but some of you sound like they plan for you to be out 10-12 hours? It is not a company-wide thing to try and reduce hours worked, or is that only in the East? I am not naive, so I am not floored by the possibility that this is going on in some centers, but I was given the impression they want to reduce work hours (we are expensive, afterall). Why do center teams who plan this way not taken to task over it?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Are rural centers cash-strapped or something? Why is any driver being asked to stay out past 9:00 pm? In my center we have to let them know if we will be out past 9.5.; it is not assumed. Our center's planned dispatch for a route is normally 9.13, but some of you sound like they plan for you to be out 10-12 hours? It is not a company-wide thing to try and reduce hours worked, or is that only in the East? I am not naive, so I am not floored by the possibility that this is going on in some centers, but I was given the impression they want to reduce work hours (we are expensive, afterall). Why do center teams who plan this way not taken to task over it?

1. Get the packages out of the building.

2. Get the preloader off of the clock.

3. Eliminate enough routes to look good on the Stops Per Car report.

Those are the only 3 things that matter, at least in our neck of the woods. Might be a regional thing. The Grand Exalted Vice-Regional Senior Chief Executuve Poobah who is in charge of our region or district or whatever has some sort of bizarre fetish for Stops Per Car, so his minions and underlings chase that number on a daily basis to the exclusion of almost everything else. When his tastes change, our operational priorities will also.

MORDNEDS

Three things i check for in the AM:

1. Stops per car level
2. If 1 is too high i see if i can reasonably dispatch it to people who want it, if not i miss it
3. If missed, "sorry boss, i missed it, but it was too high and i didn't want to have an accident or injury"

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

7 is a late night in my building. Most drivers are in between 5 and 6.

Johney

1. Stops per car level
2. If 1 is too high i see if i can reasonably dispatch it to people who want it, if not i miss it
3. If missed, "sorry boss, i missed it, but it was too high and i didn't want to have an accident or injury"
If you are a dispatcher, I wish there were more like you. Unfortunately with that attitude you're not going to last long.

soberups

1. Stops per car level

Good for you. I respect your attitude and I wish there were more like you. It is rare these days to see or hear from a management person who is actually allowed to make an operational decision.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have politely informed my management team that deliveries after 9:00 at night will be sheeted as "missed" since in my professional opinion it is unsafe to walk up dark driveways or knock on doors---particularly in the country---after that time. I have in the past made case-by-case exceptions to this rule under emergency conditions or for medications etc. when the customer is expecting us but the bottom line is that at 9:00 I am shutting it down and heading in whether I am done or not and if they dont like it they can either (a) make better dispatch decisions or (b) issue me a warning letter for insubordination and we will see how far that takes them. Knocking on someones door at 9:30 at night to deliver a package is not appropriate, it is not professional, it is not safe, and it is not service.
Do that in my center and you WILL be terminated for Insubordination,,Failure to Follow Instructions or some other trumped up charge. After a few days on the sidelines the driver comes back to work and all is forgiven. I agree with your post,but it wouldnt fly in my center

soberups

Do that in my center and you WILL be terminated for Insubordination,,Failure to Follow Instructions or some other trumped up charge. After a few days on the sidelines the driver comes back to work and all is forgiven. I agree with your post,but it wouldnt fly in my center

We have better language in our area (Western Region) than you do regarding cardinal infractions and innocent-until-proven guilty. There is a very specific list of things that we can be immediately terminated for, and refusing to deliver after 9:00 at night is not one of them. In your situation, -cough cough- I know that by 9:00 at night I would probably be feeling kinda sick and it probably -cough cough- wouldnt be very safe for me to operate that vehicle any longer. Safety first!