Lucky to work for UPS

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't feel lucky or fortunate to work at UPS. It's not like the job just landed in my lap one day. I had to apply (several times) in order to get hired but once I was in it was all on me as to how far I was going to go. So, I guess I'm glad to be a driver. It's an easy job. One of the easiest I've ever had. When done properly it's easier ("hour for hour") than any job I've ever had working in the hub or local sort. Where else can you get paid over $20/hr to do such an easy labor job? There aren't many others.

helenofcalifornia

Driving is difficult, but I think preloading is harder. We may have to deliver a ton of packages to a stop, but then we get to get back in the truck and drive to the next stop. Preload has to load all those packages in a confined space and they don't get a break after loading that bulk stop. Preload is UPS hazing until you get to drive. If you can stick it out on the preload, you are going to be strong enough to drive. Now you may have any common sense, but you will be strong enough and you will have developed that "sense of urgency" that you need when you deliver.

broncobros1

As I delivered a package to a business yesterday, a gentleman in the office said "You're lucky to work for UPS" I said "I'm lucky?" He said yes, "Good pay and benefits" I said "Well we work hard for it"

What I was thinking during this conversation was: " Lucky? No, not really, I EARNED it, I have worked my a** off, only through my hard, work, perseverance and determination do I work for UPS"

So you don't feel fortunate? I am sure with your vast schooling that you could easily make the amount of money and obtain the benefits that you do. I am sure that you probably live next to some doctors and lawyers and such. The biggest problem with UPSers like you is that you have no idea what the "real world" is like! Shame on UPS for bringing babies up in the system and they believe that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. Try getting another similar job and see how much you make...you just might then have to really earn it!

Mike Hawk

I feel pretty lucky, won the Lotto a few years back and they offered 100 million or a job preloading, I took the preload.

In all seriousness they are both hard jobs, preloading would be more physically challenging while driving is much more mentally challenging, dealing with the stress of 10 hour days and being the face of UPS. You are comparing apples to oranges here.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

How do you figure?? How many packages do you touch in one hour?? A preloader can touch hundreds and hundreds upon hundreds of packages in one hour..Although I agree both jobs are hard, I can't see someone saying preload is a walk in the freakin pansies..What's the old saying?? Walk a mile in my shoes. Remember what I said, BOTH jobs are hard.

How do you know my credentials? I was on the early AM shift for more than a number of years before I went full-time and preloaded every belt and every truck in our center by the time I left.

Point is, Mr. Lakeland preload said (and I quote)

"They see the glory being a driver but don't know what you had to go through (preload) to get there"

LOL.....preload was definitly not the worst of the worst in operations and never will be....it's simply too easy of a job. Especially with the PAL labels....it's like handing out candy at halloween now. Unloading trailers is more difficult than preloading but is still not up to par with 10+ hour days climbing in and out of the vehicle...

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
So you don't feel fortunate? I am sure with your vast schooling that you could easily make the amount of money and obtain the benefits that you do. I am sure that you probably live next to some doctors and lawyers and such. The biggest problem with UPSers like you is that you have no idea what the "real world" is like! Shame on UPS for bringing babies up in the system and they believe that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. Try getting another similar job and see how much you make...you just might then have to really earn it!

That was uncalled for, mean and just plain rude!! I have seen plenty of others TRY to do this job and can't make it. Luck has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that I am a UPS driver. It was because of my hard work, perseverance, and determination that I have this job and been able to keep it for 21 years. Especially considering I am 57 years old, a female, 5 foot 3 and 110 pounds. I was divorced with 4 kids to raise when I started and it was not easy trying to balance it all when working til 9 or 10 at night, getting laid off etc.

I do not appreciate your comment whatsoever!!

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
And yes, I know all about the real world, my first job paid 1.25 an hour sorting potatoes in the cold, I also pickec up potatoes in the field got paid by the sack, totally back braking. I weeded potatoes and sugar beets. I drove school bus, worked at a daycare center, and helped my father and ex-husband farm. My ex was an alcoholic and I had to run that farm for the last two years by myself.

Do not judge until you know the facts, I know more about the real world than you EVER will.

BTW I also worked on the driver preload for 16 years loading 800-1200 packages a day in three trucks.

Get over it!! You are the whiner!!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

And yes, I know all about the real world, my first job paid 1.25 an hour sorting potatoes in the cold, I also pickec up potatoes in the field got paid by the sack, totally back braking. I weeded potatoes and sugar beets. I drove school bus, worked at a daycare center, and helped my father and ex-husband farm. My ex was an alcoholic and I had to run that farm for the last two years by myself.

Do not judge until you know the facts, I know more about the real world than you EVER will.

BTW I also worked on the driver preload for 16 years loading 800-1200 packages a day in three trucks.

Get over it!! You are the whiner!!

Don't take his/her comments personally. Usually when people make statements like those "it takes one to know one" and so theyre just projecting their own feelings onto you

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Thanks,I'm sorry I went off on him (her), but I have worked so hard all my life and UPS is probably the hardest thing I've ever done, I just don't appreciate someone minimizing it.

Yes, I feel very lucky having worked at UPS for 30 years.

As a plant maintenance mechanic, the job was very hard, dangerous, and frustrating.

Now that I'm retired, with full health benefits and a great pension, how could I not say I'm very lucky?

To those of you who are going through the grind every day, just remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel that fewer and fewer people see these days.

Maybe then, you'll think you're lucky too.

HazMatMan

How do you know my credentials? I was on the early AM shift for more than a number of years before I went full-time and preloaded every belt and every truck in our center by the time I left.

Point is, Mr. Lakeland preload said (and I quote)

"They see the glory being a driver but don't know what you had to go through (preload) to get there"

LOL.....preload was definitly not the worst of the worst in operations and never will be....it's simply too easy of a job. Especially with the PAL labels....it's like handing out candy at halloween now. Unloading trailers is more difficult than preloading but is still not up to par with 10+ hour days climbing in and out of the vehicle...
Wo, let me nip this in the bud now before a war starts. First off I do not know your credentials, I am sure you are a very hard working individual and I am sure you did your time at UPS. I have never been a driver and probably will never be one. I know being a driver is hard work, you are under a lot of stress to get pkgs delivered and to do pick-ups on time also. I was just speaking from experience from my package handling days and how loading trucks, sorting packages, and unloading trailers was not fun and was very strenuous. I may have taken offense by your "a walk in the pansies" comment and I may have fired back at you in a negative way that you took offense to. So, in closing my apologies to you if you took offense to my comments. If you see what I wrote at the end of my post I said both jobs are hard.. Have a nice evening..Haz..

Griff

Dear
Bitter and jaded management employee,

I would like to know what kind of doctor or lawyer lives next door to a UPS driver. Names would be helpful since I don't ever want to hire them for any reason because they obviously aren't very good at what they do. The doctors and lawyers that I know live in residences that two UPS driver salaries couldn't handle financially. Most UPS drivers know exactly what the "real world" is like because, unlike yourself, we actually have to work in it everyday. I offer my commiserations that nobody except UPS values your education and experience, keep plugging away on monster.com!

Love,
Griff

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you for real? Did you ever think that some of us work here because we can make more money with a better benefit package than we would if we worked in the field in which we hold our degree? I happen to have 2 Associates and 1 Bachelors degree but I was unable to find a job in my field (Business Management) when I left the military (BTW, I finished my 4 yr degree on weekends while I was in the Air Force while trying to start a marriage and raising 2 young children) so I called a friend of mine who told me to call UPS and the rest is history. I don't know why I am bothering to explain myself to a person such as yourself as it is truly none of your damn business why any of us chose to work here. I started here on a whim and, 19 years later, have been able to put 2 kids through college and am well on my way to a secure retirement.

I'll make you a deal. Why don't you come up to Plattsburgh this peak and you can be my helper and I will show you the meaning of work!! You wouldn't last 2 days!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Preload is not easy. It takes a special kind of person to get up at those hours and function. Whats with the jab about schooling? You act like we are a bunch of dumb people. I for one had to be in college to get hired, and I also have a degree which I chose to have no matter whether I used it or not. Who peed in your tofu?

govols019

You smell that?

How is unloading a trailer more difficult than preload? An untrained monkey can unload a trailer.

blue efficacy

You people really are full of yourselves. Yes, the work is tough as hell, but there are a lot of people out there who do more for less. A lot. If UPS fired every single driver, there would LITERALLY be people lined up around the block who would do your job for $20 an hour.

I don't mean to demean any of my Teamster brothers, but we are still lucky to work for this company. A secure job with great pay and benefits is worth a lot these days.

blue efficacy

How is unloading a trailer more difficult than preload? An untrained monkey can unload a trailer.
Agreed! Preloading is much more difficult than loading or unloading. Any hub job, absolutely any hub job, is better than preloading. One of, if not, the worst job in the company.