Marijuana the legalization of it?

wkmac

"Local community interests" would involve responsibility for the water or sewage system, funding and maintaining city parks, and creating local ordinances in regards to traffic control, licensing dogs, and operating police and fire services etc.

Fundamental human rights such as the right to keep and bear arms, freedom of speech, freedom of religion and due process of law should not be subject to the whims of majority rule on a community level. Were this the case, you would probably still see areas of the Deep South where slavery or Jim Crow laws were still legal...you would see fundamentalist religious communities that would sentence homosexuals to death for "sodomy"....or others that would prohibit the free practice of any faith other than the one "allowed" by the majority. It is for these reasons that our rights are enumerated by a Constitution rather than voted on by a City Council.

As opposed to the whim of the majority on the national level?

I live in the Deep South, born and raise here and I call Bull:censored2:. Your total ignorance of an area I'm guessing you've never lived must less visited is showing. It also shows you are running out of logical and well thought out arguments so you are resorting to building a strawman to which you can then beat down.

You rightly decried Baba his own statism to now assert your own.

32F driver

Man, I hope they never legalize marijuana. If they do, every other car on the road will be operated by a stoned driver. I personally don't want to be on the road with that many pot smokers. I'd like to keep my safe driving record intact as well as all 4 corners on my vehicle.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sober, I've already addressed the morality question.

As to suppression of what you call fundamental rights, if they agree to those terms as a community and have no desire to force them on me or others outside of those who agreed to the terms, what should I care for? This is the life they choose to live under via the principle of liberty. Are you asserting that only your definition on proper lifestyle is what fits under the concept of liberty? .
You stated in a previous post that local communities should be able to "make their own choices" as to whether guns are legal or not.

What if I have lived in that community all my life and all of a sudden a voting majority decides to ban guns? Are you saying I should either turn my guns in or move? Or are you saying that the law should only apply to those who voluntarily obey it?

A law is, by definition, an infringement of personal liberty for the public good. As you stated earlier, my right to swing my fist ends where your face begins and I'm OK with that. I just want to make sure we don't start passing laws that ban making a fist in the first place, or ban writing about making a fist, or drawing pictures of a fist. The "public good" can very quickly degenerate into a "nanny state" that is every bit as harmful as a place where the fists swing freely.

The bottom line is that the devil is in the details. What constitutes a "community" and what power should that "community" have to pass laws that may infringe upon the fundamental rights of others?

soberups

As opposed to the whim of the majority on the national level?

I live in the Deep South, born and raise here and I call Bull:censored2:. Your total ignorance of an area I'm guessing you've never lived must less visited is showing. It also shows you are running out of logical and well thought out arguments so you are resorting to building a strawman to which you can then beat down.

You rightly decried Baba his own statism to now assert your own.
I've never been to the Deep South but my wife was born in Gulfport Mississippi and lived there as well as Columbus GA for over half her life so I have heard stories of the racism that is prevalent among a small subset of the population. That being said, lets move the argument up to my neck of the woods to, say, one of the many white supremacist enclaves that exist in Idaho. Should those "communities" have the right to pass laws...in the name of "local control"...that would deny basic human rights to people of color? Or are you willing to recognize the importance of a document that enumerates those rights as being God given and not subject to infringement?

wkmac

You stated in a previous post that local communities should be able to "make their own choices" as to whether guns are legal or not.

What if I have lived in that community all my life and all of a sudden a voting majority decides to ban guns? Are you saying I should either turn my guns in or move? Or are you saying that the law should only apply to those who voluntarily obey it?

A law is, by definition, an infringement of personal liberty for the public good. As you stated earlier, my right to swing my fist ends where your face begins and I'm OK with that. I just want to make sure we don't start passing laws that ban making a fist in the first place, or ban writing about making a fist, or drawing pictures of a fist. The "public good" can very quickly degenerate into a "nanny state" that is every bit as harmful as a place where the fists swing freely.

The bottom line is that the devil is in the details. What constitutes a "community" and what power should that "community" have to pass laws that may infringe upon the fundamental rights of others?

Sober,

Yes I did say that but so it is clear going forward, my position is built on the decision process using moral ideals long tested by mankind. Don't kill, don't lie, don't steal as the basis of natural law built off that construct. I will make note that local govt's as wrong as they can be at times don't kill at the same level and rate as the national gov't so once again we are back to your local whims comment. I'll also add that gov't as we know it would be impossible if they didn't as a matter of function violate those 3 moral ideals on a regular basis. Thus IMO makes the argument of gov't holding a moral basis and to protect and perpetuate moral society as mute and downright false. I'll leave that there.

You've got your opinion on this and I have mine. You see the right to carry in concealment as a primacy right and I see rights in a far broader perspective and more numerous. I even on a certain level see property rights trumping your right to carry a concealed weapon upon said property in some circumstances as we've previously discussed. We just disagree on that point and how it all applies. I don't oppose concealed carry personally but I also don't see your right being able to trump someone else who holds an opposite view.

I'm not anti gun, fact is I think anyone should be able to own any firearm they choose. I even think a convicted felon should be able to own a gun once their so-called debt to society is completely paid. If the debt is not paid, then why are they out of prison? Then again I'm opposed to prisons but that's a whole other thread anyway.

I like open carry because it requires nothing of other taxpayers for you to enjoy the right, the conceal permit process uses the tax dollars of others to operate, and the transparency of open carry allows those who don't want to be around guns to avoid those who have them. Business owners would also be free to welcome or deny service to gun owners and no requirements are placed on anyone else except the 2 parties involved. And yes I support the right of business owners to choose who they do business with just as I support your right to talk with, be friends with or even marry who you want. The right of free association is again a primacy ideal to me. Now go ahead and twist that however you want. And before you go there, yes segregation laws also violate the right of free association. Now go ahead.

You and I don't see society the same nor do we see a place for gov't equally. I personally believe organize states are obsolete and I think a global conversation is in it's infancy towards those ends. Where it goes may take decades, maybe a century or two just as the idea to challenge divine rights of kings took several centuries, so to may the divine rights of organized states also take. You obviously see things a bit different and I have no illusion you or I will convince the other any different.

As I said, we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

soberups

I like open carry because it requires nothing of other taxpayers for you to enjoy the right, the conceal permit process uses the tax dollars of others to operate, and the transparency of open carry allows those who don't want to be around guns to avoid those who have them....

1. Concealed handgun licenses are a huge money maker for local governments. The state of Utah, for instance, makes millions of dollars per year selling non-resident carry permits to people (such as myself) who have never even been to the state. Utah can do this because its permits (unlike the Oregon permit I also hold) are recognized in 34 other states so getting one is the easiest way for law-abiding citizens to have legal carry rights wherever they go.

2. Those who don't want to be around guns should seriously consider staying at home instead of expecting to be able to run and hide whenever they see one being openly carried. By the same token....while I do support the right of people to open carry if they choose I also think the people who parade around in front of schools or malls with slung rifles in order to get themselves seen on YouTube arguing with the cops are :censored2:s. I prefer discretion, tact, and keeping a low profile.

Last edited:

soberups

Sober,

You've got your opinion on this and I have mine. You see the right to carry in concealment as a primacy right and I see rights in a far broader perspective and more numerous. I even on a certain level see property rights trumping your right to carry a concealed weapon upon said property in some circumstances as we've previously discussed. We just disagree on that point and how it all applies. I don't oppose concealed carry personally but I also don't see your right being able to trump someone else who holds an opposite view.

Actually, I don't. I support the right to keep and bear arms but I view concealed carry as something that ought to require an additional level of training and certification in the form of "shall issue" permits. I also respect the right of a private property owner to decide whether guns should be allowed on his property.

soberups

. And yes I support the right of business owners to choose who they do business with just as I support your right to talk with, be friends with or even marry who you want. The right of free association is again a primacy ideal to me. Now go ahead and twist that however you want. And before you go there, yes segregation laws also violate the right of free association. Now go ahead.

Im not going to twist anything. I agree with you.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
imagesSWMC6BX7.jpg
Man, I hope they never legalize marijuana. If they do, every other car on the road will be operated by a stoned driver. I personally don't want to be on the road with that many pot smokers. I'd like to keep my safe driving record intact as well as all 4 corners on my vehicle.

soberups

It is highly unlikely that legalization will create any new pot smokers. The people who want to smoke pot are already smoking it , and the people who are stupid and irresponsible enough to drive under the influence are already doing just that. Possession of less than one ounce was decriminalized in my state in 1973, it is a civil infraction no different from a parking ticket with a small fine, and a license to grow and possess for medical use can be had for $100 and a note from a doctor. Pot is available anywhere. The idea that anyone will be deterred from smoking pot or have a hard time finding it because its still technically illegal is a joke.

32F driver

No, I don't believe the legalization will create more smokers, either. It will just make them more brazen. Step out into the front yard, bong in hand, smoke the entire bowl, & then drive to the store for munchies. I really don't want to dr a package across the street from somebody openly smoking pot. I feel that the probability for a follow up would be 'high'. Pardon the pun. If they are smoking inside, they are not likely to be near a window, so they won't even know you went by.

wkmac

No, I don't believe the legalization will create more smokers, either. It will just make them more brazen. Step out into the front yard, bong in hand, smoke the entire bowl, & then drive to the store for munchies. I really don't want to dr a package across the street from somebody openly smoking pot. I feel that the probability for a follow up would be 'high'. Pardon the pun. If they are smoking inside, they are not likely to be near a window, so they won't even know you went by.

You mean kinda like it happened after prohibition ended? Now even the most respectable of folk, world leaders, even men and women of the cloth drink alcohol in public. Even have alcohol to drink WITH DINNER! HOW SHOCKING!

The end is near huh?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Is it really that serious dude. Its 2014 not 1914 pop pop. Are they hurting you if they are smoking pot or drinking a beer. Same difference. People are so ignorant to ideas about pot, too me its hilarious how dumb and naïve to it that they act.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Smoking beer and drinking pot are the same ?? Scratch that, reverse it.

Drink 5 beers and drive? That's DUI.

Smoke 5 joints.....drive?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
5 beers= DUI You aint smoking 5 joints by yourself amigo. First of all your wasting the product like an idiot and second of all you smoking 5 joints you definitely got some of your boys over sharing the wealth lmfao and no DUI. Once again an example of its definitely safer to smoke than to drink.

5 beers= DUI You aint smoking 5 joints by yourself amigo. First of all your wasting the product like an idiot and second of all you smoking 5 joints you definitely got some of your boys over sharing the wealth lmfao and no DUI. Once again an example of its definitely safer to smoke than to drink.
I cant believe you would even respond to this thread! What do you know about this stuff?:cigarsmoker: