Martinsville

govols019

You smell that?
It’s a vicious cycle that basically ends at the fans wallet. Many of the SMI (Speedway Motorsports Inc) owned tracks (That’s Bruton Smith’s operation) require the “Season Ticket” holder to buy tickets to every race held at the facility. Not an Open Wheel Fan? Too bad, you bought tickets. Didn’t want to catch the Nationwide or Truck race? Too bad, you bought tickets.
I believe you have Bruton's tracks confused with those owned by International Speedway Corp.(AKA The France Family). You will never find a more fan friendly track than one owned and ran by Bruton Smith. The difference between the two is night and day.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
As stated in an earlier post I had Hamlin, Edwards and Franchitti in my Fantasy league. I won the week in my league. I did put in to replace Franchitti for Reitemann next week. BM

To me Franchitti is already a winner....isn't he married to Ashley Judd??? Mama Mia!

FAVREFAN

Martinsville overnight TV Ratings same as 2007: NASCAR on Fox tallied a 4.9/10 yesterday for racing from Martinsville. Yesterday's 4.9/10 is flat with last year's Martinsville rating [4.9/11], but in this case that's good news given the dramatically tougher competition faced by this year's race. Yesterday's race came against a pair of NCAA Regional Finals, including the strong Davidson-Kansas game, while last year's race aired on the Final Four weekend and faced no NCAA basketball. By matching last year's rating, FOX maintains its streak of seven straight NASCAR events this year that have been at least flat with last year in the metered markets (this excludes the Fontana race because of rain). Los Angeles has emerged as the surprise market of the year for NASCAR. Yesterday's race earned a 2.8/7 in LA, a +65% gain over last year's 1.7/5. For the season-to-date, Sprint Cup racing on FOX is averaging a 6.2/12, including Fontana, a +5% bump over last season's 5.9/12.(Fox PR)(3-31-2008) Comment here

We’re talking about Martinsville, right? Martinsville was a sellout and has been for as long as I can remember. They used to hold back 1200 tickets for Sunday morning sales but I’m not sure they still do that. The temps were in the low 40’s, too dang cold to sit outside.

Nascar PR, hardly. Folks that know me know full well how critical I am of Nascar.
None of those numbers coincide with numbers posted outside of Nascar/ESPN/FOX.
You'll ask for examples next. Autoracingone.com. Unbiased numbers by unbiased total racing reporters. You believe everything that Nascar is telling you? They are starting to sh_t bricks. Many of the cars right now have no sponsorship passed the 25th race. Sure those teams will put some kind of hodge podge sponsorship together but did you think this day would ever come? Nascar teams having trouble with sponsorship? Oh yeah, Winston Cup, Nextel Cup, Sprint cup and hmmmm who will step up for the next few years?

FAVREFAN

I don’t disagree but I’m sick of folks laying all the blame on Nascar. Nascar like UPS is a business, businesses are supposed to grow, especially publicly traded businesses. Sponsors want exposure for their dollars, which brings TV. TV is also a business that needs a return on their investment, which brings commercials. The track owner needs a return on his investment, tickets prices. Fans want tickets, there are only so many seats. Track owner adds seats and the requirements that come along with them. Race teams want high purse payouts (the track owner is responsible for the purse), track owner sells more sponsorship and raises ticket prices.

Careful what you wish for. For years we wanted racing on TV, we got it. We wanted a track near (insert city name here). We got it. Someone has to pay for all that stuff, the fan.

It’s a vicious cycle that basically ends at the fans wallet. Many of the SMI (Speedway Motorsports Inc) owned tracks (That’s Bruton Smith’s operation) require the “Season Ticket” holder to buy tickets to every race held at the facility. Not an Open Wheel Fan? Too bad, you bought tickets. Didn’t want to catch the Nationwide or Truck race? Too bad, you bought tickets.

I do believe that many fans have lost interest in Cup racing, I’m one of them. I have a Nascar license in my wallet that gives me free entry into any Nascar event. I’d rather spend my time at a local short track where guys and gals race for the thrill not the money.
Your last paragraph say it all. Nascar has a cold that could turn into pneumonia. You were obviously a huge fan, but now you're not. Multiply your sentiment across the country. That's reality. Nascar fed numbers aren't reality.

upsdude

I believe you have Bruton's tracks confused with those owned by International Speedway Corp.(AKA The France Family). You will never find a more fan friendly track than one owned and ran by Bruton Smith. The difference between the two is night and day.

No confusion at all, Bruton owns Texas,correct? TMS requires a "seat license" along with California and Kentucky Speedway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Seat_License

upsdude

None of those numbers coincide with numbers posted outside of Nascar/ESPN/FOX.
You'll ask for examples next. Autoracingone.com. Unbiased numbers by unbiased total racing reporters. You believe everything that Nascar is telling you? They are starting to sh_t bricks. Many of the cars right now have no sponsorship passed the 25th race. Sure those teams will put some kind of hodge podge sponsorship together but did you think this day would ever come? Nascar teams having trouble with sponsorship? Oh yeah, Winston Cup, Nextel Cup, Sprint cup and hmmmm who will step up for the next few years?

So, tell me why teams are having trouble finding sponsorship. "It's the economy stupid" to quote an old political slogan.

Another reason, "has been" car owners that let the sport pass them by. Car owners that put millions in their pockets and little into the teams for R&D or equipment.

Joe Blow Inc isn't going to hand over 20 mil to run 35th, well UPS will.

Some of the fans kill me though. They're ready to bash Nascar at every turn yet stay chest deep in the sport. They must watch every race to see what the stands look like and count the TV ads. Fans will pay for a subscription to a racing "news" site (dominated by Nascar news) when all sorts of free info is out there.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a p-ing contest with you or anyone else over Nascar's health. I'm just tired of hearing folks complain everyday about how they're sick of Nascar until the next race. Then they will plant their butt in front of the TV or drive to a track, come Monday they'll *itch about Nascar all week.

If they're that sick of it then turn off the TV or change the channel. Even if your number source shows the ratings "down", look how many folks are still watching.

BTW, I say Favre could have went another year or two, or three. Also think he would have made a heck of a racecar driver.

FAVREFAN

So, tell me why teams are having trouble finding sponsorship. "It's the economy stupid" to quote an old political slogan.

Another reason, "has been" car owners that let the sport pass them by. Car owners that put millions in their pockets and little into the teams for R&D or equipment.

Joe Blow Inc isn't going to hand over 20 mil to run 35th, well UPS will.

Some of the fans kill me though. They're ready to bash Nascar at every turn yet stay chest deep in the sport. They must watch every race to see what the stands look like and count the TV ads. Fans will pay for a subscription to a racing "news" site (dominated by Nascar news) when all sorts of free info is out there.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a p-ing contest with you or anyone else over Nascar's health. I'm just tired of hearing folks complain everyday about how they're sick of Nascar until the next race. Then they will plant their butt in front of the TV or drive to a track, come Monday they'll *itch about Nascar all week.

If they're that sick of it then turn off the TV or change the channel. Even if your number source shows the ratings "down", look how many folks are still watching.

BTW, I say Favre could have went another year or two, or three. Also think he would have made a heck of a racecar driver.
Yes, Favre ruled the field and had plenty in the tank. I don't watch Nascar, just bash it. lol And I read that UPS is looking at some other drivers including Edwards.(Source....speedtv.com)

govols019

You smell that?
No confusion at all, Bruton owns Texas,correct? TMS requires a "seat license" along with California and Kentucky Speedway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Seat_License

California and Kentucky are not owned by SMI. I don't know why you say that Texas "requires" a seat license. That is simply not the case. They do have certain sections of seats that you can only obtain through a PSL but the majority of seats are open to single event purchases. Kentucky is the same too.

Chicagoland and Kansas are ISC owned tracks that DO require a PSL to attend the races.

FAVREFAN

It's hilarious how many tracks Nascar races at that were built for/by open wheels entities.......Back in the C.A.R.T. years. Man did Nascar clean up. I may actually check out a part of the Texas race. I love that track.
Anybody out there remember when the CART guys actually passed the human limit on G's at that track to actually perform? They were pulling over 5 g's. They were coming off qualifying sessions with vertigo and talking silly with vision problems as well. Some of them were supposedly saying, "Where are we?" Bryan Herta had to break the news to the media at a press conference and the race had to be cancelled. I think they were doing something like 250+ on the straight and would smash their brains going into the turn. Kenny Brack won the pole with a lap of 233.447 but when the track improved cars were doing upper 230's for laps in practice that morning with much higher straight speeds! That was a big negative that hurt the series. Things got worse from there. The cars were too fast that day! lol. Unrelated, they set the closed coarse record at Fontana too. 241.428mph!(Gil De Ferran) That's racing!

Last edited:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Clint Bowyer recently, in a tire test, was running over 200mph at Texas. Should be a fun race at that speed. Wide open and pedal thru the floor.