Max PT hours

HardknocksUPSer

What are the maximum hours a PT'er can work in a week during peak? I had a lot of 55hr weeks last peak but want as many hours as I can scrap up this year. I'm on the track for over 60 this week.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Had a kid here who worked a 19 hour day on Monday. Worked 10 in preload and went out with there driver from the building. No way can anyone keep up those kind of hours for very long. Pace yourself this is going to be a very long and rough peak.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What are the maximum hours a PT'er can work in a week during peak? I had a lot of 55hr weeks last peak but want as many hours as I can scrap up this year. I'm on the track for over 60 this week.

There is no limit. As long as you are not driving.

It is only what your center or hub specifies. Varies greatly.

Legally, you can work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I know this is over the top, but 16 hour days are not out of the question.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
As mentioned, corporate has no policy regarding maximum hours PTers may work, but some level of local/regional management may.

Regarding driver helping, the Central supplement states that no PT employee shall be scheduled in excess of 8 hours per day; during the heart of the recession, management strictly enforced that clause, essentially blocking us from driver helping most days and heavily limiting our hours. A few years later, the policy was 12 hours. For the past several years, there's been no policy. I routinely worked in excess of 70 hours and topped 100 several times (including Saturday shifts). Peak 2014 was my 15th as a helper, and also my last :). #semiretiredfromUPS

Jj1213

Need that full time
I used to do doubles when I was part time get 12+ a day and work Sunday sort sometimes 70 hr week management never said nothing they don't care during peak but when January comes you can't get over 5

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Our two primary sorts (Day/Twilight) can both easily run anywhere from 6-9 hours depending on what day of the week it is. People working doubles through either shift can easily pull down a 13+ hour day. We also don't have required lunches or breaks in my state so more often than not this is straight through with maybe a 5 minute trip to the break room in-between.

However, triples are absolutely not allowed. Local management started individually addressing employees working triples in my building last year and expressly forbid them from doing so after a jam breaker was working triples and got something like 90 hours in a week. Triples are forbidden in the NMA.

That being said, I've done it a few times in a career and you're just not going to be worth much of a :censored2: after you hit that 9-10 hour mark in the hub without a decent break. My worst day was in 2009/2010 and I did something like 16 hours straight, Day sort thru Midnight. I don't remember most of it.

Last edited:

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Our two primary sorts (Day/Twilight) can both easily run anywhere from 6-9 hours depending on what day of the week it is. People working doubles through either shift can easily pull down a 13+ hour day. We also don't have required lunches or breaks in my state so more often than not this is straight through with maybe a 5 minute trip to the break room in-between.

However, triples are absolutely not allowed. Local management started individually addressing employees working triples in my building last year and expressly forbid them from doing so after a jam breaker was working triples and got something like 90 hours in a week. Triples are forbidden in the NMA.

That being said, I've done it a few times in a career and you're just not going to be worth much of a :censored2: after you hit that 9-10 hour mark in the hub without a decent break. My worst day was in 2009/2010 and I did something like 16 hours straight, Day sort thru Midnight. I don't remember most of it.

Two years ago I pulled triples daily during the last 2.5 weeks: Preload started daily at 12:00AM and I'd clock out anywhere from 8:30AM-10:30AM. I driver helped & my meet point was a 5-minute drive from the building in a shopping center with a Planet Fitness, where I'd take a shower and sleep in the Hydromassage, typically for 60 minutes (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter; sometimes I'd get no nap or shower at all). The driver I worked with was anal about dropping me off at 4PM (pick-ups at 5, must take lunch at 4, even with resis left). So I'd take another 30-45 minute nap in the hydromassage :) then work local sort, typically from 5PM until 9:30PM-10:30PM, sometimes a bit later. I slept whatever I could in a conference room. (Also worth mentioning that I took naps whenever I could, such as a few minutes on break or while awaiting trailers). I remember the last full week I worked a pair of shifts on a Saturday, bringing my weekly total to just over 110. I was suppose to work a Sunday shift, and the district manager (!) left me a voicemail thanking me for my hard but instructing me not to come in. Nothing else was ever said about my hours.

In the last 2.5 weeks of peak, I grossed over $7,000 -- my total for the year was slightly under $31,000, meaning I made over 20% of my annual pay in just 2.5 weeks. That said, the experience is regrettable. I felt like crap. I treated my body like crap: I went through a couple bottles of caffeine pills, drink a 12-pack of (diet) caffeinated soda per day, etc. It took a few months before I felt right again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

90 hours! It would take me two weeks and a day to work 90 hours.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Two years ago I pulled triples daily during the last 2.5 weeks: Preload started daily at 12:00AM and I'd clock out anywhere from 8:30AM-10:30AM. I driver helped & my meet point was a 5-minute drive from the building in a shopping center with a Planet Fitness, where I'd take a shower and sleep in the Hydromassage, typically for 60 minutes (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter; sometimes I'd get no nap or shower at all). The driver I worked with was anal about dropping me off at 4PM (pick-ups at 5, must take lunch at 4, even with resis left). So I'd take another 30-45 minute nap in the hydromassage :) then work local sort, typically from 5PM until 9:30PM-10:30PM, sometimes a bit later. I slept whatever I could in a conference room. (Also worth mentioning that I took naps whenever I could, such as a few minutes on break or while awaiting trailers). I remember the last full week I worked a pair of shifts on a Saturday, bringing my weekly total to just over 110. I was suppose to work a Sunday shift, and the district manager (!) left me a voicemail thanking me for my hard but instructing me not to come in. Nothing else was ever said about my hours.

In the last 2.5 weeks of peak, I grossed over $7,000 -- my total for the year was slightly under $31,000, meaning I made over 20% of my annual pay in just 2.5 weeks. That said, the experience is regrettable. I felt like crap. I treated my body like crap: I went through a couple bottles of caffeine pills, drink a 12-pack of (diet) caffeinated soda per day, etc. It took a few months before I felt right again.

There's a syndrome where people suffering from heinous malnutrition overfeed themselves and actually die from the shock when food becomes readily available. There's no better metaphor for being PT during peak.

In my building Art 22.3 midnight/preload are also doubling on the day sort. But since I am an Air exception driver the Center is forcing me to drive everyday costing me a lot of OT.

MendozaJ

I don't believe there is a max. I pulled 75 in one week last year, but that was supplemented with driver helper. I am fully contemplating grinding a couple of 80 hour (minimum) paychecks in the upcoming weeks by working inside. I find it less exhausting than jumping in and out of cars, dealing with the elements. I feel kind of silly right now sitting at home, wide awake, when I can be earning some vacation money.