Memories From The '97' Strike........

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Union was trying to bankrupt our pension. UPS was trying to save us. Sadly, it took another 20 years before members smartened up and demanded that our union do exactly what UPS was trying to do FOR US in 97. I also saved every scrap of paper, and yes, it was eye opening to see how many lies the Teamsters told so they could keep bilking our retirement to pay for our competitors' retirement.

Had we accepted the company's "last best and final" offer...you wouldnt have a pension at all. Your job...everyone's job... would have been subcontracted out to the lowest bidder. The contract would be meaningless because there wouldn't be any union employees left to be covered by it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Never just take what the union is telling you as gospel. Always, always, always be skeptical. They have an agenda, as does the company. Hell, it seems most everyone I meet has one. Dad was right. People suck the big wazoo. Dogs are the only ones you can truly trust.

Indecisi0n

Never just take what the union is telling you as gospel. Always, always, always be skeptical. They have an agenda, as does the company. Hell, it seems most everyone I meet has one. Dad was right. People suck the big wazoo. Dogs are the only ones you can truly trust.

I don't know about that. Last night I was covering a route and the owners dog looked like he wanted to bite my head off (running around yard, invisible fence). DR at the mailbox, see yaaa.

Packmule

Sorry Sober, not true. Like I said, I saved every scrap of paper, and the pension offered in 97 would have been regulated by trustees from both uinon and company, exactly like it is today, and backed up with federal laws. Only difference was, it would have cost UPS several million to buy us out instead of 6 billion.

Johney

Are you advocating leaving the package out by the street?

NI1, dog.
We do it all the time on our rural routes. Bag hung on a gate. If this wasn't done there would be a massive amount of send agains on certain routes. Now I don't know what this area looks like,but as far as him leaving it on the mailbox I suppose he felt it safe to do to save on a paid send again and possibly not get bit. To call that a "Runner/Gunner" move is a bit much don't you think?

A

anonymous6

Union was trying to bankrupt our pension. UPS was trying to save us. Sadly, it took another 20 years before members smartened up and demanded that our union do exactly what UPS was trying to do FOR US in 97. I also saved every scrap of paper, and yes, it was eye opening to see how many lies the Teamsters told so they could keep bilking our retirement to pay for our competitors' retirement.

what lies are you talking about. i have all the papers from the strike. be more specific.

A

anonymous6

i agree on the first part. i've got a bumper sticker that says "QUESTION AUTHORITY ". my dog waits for me to leave and then she gets into the trash under the sink.